Everyone knows it’s windy

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

See cross-post in Southern Oregon happenings about KSJK. Any other stations burn up completely?

boisebill
    Participant
    chessyduck
    Participant

A commentary about the failure of Southern Oregon radio stations to provide news alerts during recent fires. Written by a broadcast professional.

https://mailtribune.com/opinion/guest-opinions/radio-stations-fail-listeners-during-fires

lastday
    Participant

Did relevant EAS alerts go out in a timely manner? It sounds like the stations had no plan at all for handling an immediate local emergency, beyond EAS (assuming that worked).

It took KRVM a couple days to catch up but they’ve done many PSAs specifically about this emergency and they directed listeners to this on their web page:

https://krvm.org/special-local-fire-information/

radiogeek
    Participant

I swear the internet will be the death of us all.

Emergency information over a webpage rather than over the analog air waves … is not helpful in an actual emergency. The freaking internet is the FIRST thing to go down in an emergency. Folks desperately packing and trying to move in the safe direction … they are supposed to go online and browse until they get a webpage? Cell towers also go down asap because they get their digital data over the fibre backbone of the … intenet.

Ed

lastday
    Participant

If a station has no news staff at all, what can they do? Isn’t that the hole EAS is supposed to fill? There were many EAS alerts on Eugene stations for a couple days there.

I got nothing.

boisebill
    Participant

So it’s what day 3 of power outages?
    289,024 customers still out I see.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Power out here going on 27 hours. I’ve been charging the phone from the laptop, but that won’t last more than another day or so, then out to the car to do it. Ice and snow (about a foot) melting but the street is a mess. Have been doing everything on foot. Fortunately the cold weather broke today. It was cold last night. Cell data running slow, probably some cell towers have no backup genset, shifting all the load to others that do. Seems almost usable tonight (using phone as a hotspot for my laptop) while it charges. Phone at 50%, laptop down to 27%. Time to sign off. 10-3

radiogeek
    Participant

I’m amazed the cell towers are working as well as they are. I have a colleague who did a two hour zoom call from home with no power and no internet via cell connection. I’d have guessed the backup power would have failed by now (perhaps it is now failing in some areas).

On a related note, I saw the Burlingame Fred Meyer was open yesterday so I dropped in for some milk and eggs. Turns out their backup power can’t run everything, so their refrigerator coolers were off and they threw away a lot of perishable products. A clerk guestimated they lost $100K at that one store alone.

Ed

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was staying near the Burlingame Fred Meyer during the long weekend. The power went out for about one hour on Sunday evening and about 22 hours Sunday-Monday. On Monday, AT&T cellular service was down to one bar (voice was possible but no data) and soon, there was no service. However, later in the afternoon, AT&T managed to restore some of the nearby cell sites.

The AM stations broadcasting from Oaks Park have been off since. 940 and 1520 are off the air. Yesterday, 1330 and 1480 were transmitting dead air, but now they are back to normal.

97.9 is off the air today. 95.9 is (or was) accidentally re-transmitting KFFD-KP.

boisebill
    Participant

KFFI-LP Boise rebroadcasts KFFP-LP with a horribly distorted asymmetrical signal (-50 KHz +300 KHz from carrier). Was dead air until sometime Monday.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I got power back after 43 hours but the internet was really bogged down until this morning. Stations relying on the net as their STL or RC are probably still having issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.