Everyone knows it’s windy

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Recently, I checked to see how the recent windstorms and power outages might be affecting radio in our area. The following are my observations, although I have no way of determining whether high winds are the root cause.

AM

• 660 – Off the air
    • 1040 – Carrier only
    • 1330 – Low modulation
    • 1480 – Off the air
    • 1640 – Off the air

FM

• 88.7 – Off the air
    lastday
    Participant

Sometime last night there was high wind here but it must have been very brief. This morning I saw some downed tree limbs and a lot of tree debris. Today it’s eerily quiet. Almost no wind, but with a LOT of smoke and ash drifting into Eugene from McKenzie Valley. Orange-gray skies. I was parked outside for about an hour and the car was covered with ash. KLCC is reporting scattered power outages all over the area. Hwy 126 East is closed from MP 10 to MP 55. That’s basically the edge of Thurston on up to McKenzie Bridge.

Edit just to make it more on-topic: I haven’t noted any radio or TV outages here in Eugene.

Bob
    Participant

1640 has been off air for better part of a day now.

Anyone have information on when some of these stations expect to return on air?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

PGE announced that for safety, they turned off power along parts of U.S. 26 near Mount Hood. My above list needs two additions:

• 90.3 – Off the air
    • 94.3 – Off the air

88.7, 90.3, and 94.3 all broadcast from the same transmitter site near Timberline Lodge.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Alfredo_T.
    lastday
    Participant

Yesterday (Monday) there were at least two EAS alerts regarding high winds and fire danger, and an emergency alert was pushed out to cell phones. Scared the heck out of me when my phone started shrieking.

EWEB has announced that they will shut off power anywhere at any time as needed for safety.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

1640 is now back.

lastday
    Participant

Another EAS just went out for a fire near Crawfordsville. Also KLCC reported that power has been shut off to Oakridge due to high winds.

Speaking of EAS, the computer-generated voice is kind of hard to understand sometimes. It sounds like someone with a speech impediment. It really has trouble with the word “evacuation”. Sounds kind of like “ewakoolayshun”.

lastday
    Participant

New alerts, entire Mohawk Valley and Upper Camp Creek are on Level 2 evacuation warnings. The smoke is worse than I’ve ever seen here since 1990. Some downtown Eugene businesses like Whole Foods are closed, probably so employees can go home and take care of things.

lastday
    Participant

Mohawk Valley and Camp Creek elevated to Level 3: Get The Hell Out Now.

TV interviewing evacuees whining about the inconvenience and it’s a hoax. I switched to People’s Court. Lol.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Might be a good time to go back and listen to clip #7. In 1962, KGW AM 620 was the only station still on the air during the Columbus Day Storm.

https://pdxradio.com/History.html

semoochie
    Participant

It’s an interesting thread title, Alfredo. How did you make that association? 🙂

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Arf! Arf! Arf! 🙂

lastday
    Participant

I’m in Oakridge. No power anywhere except emergency generators. KAVE is off the air. It’s very clear, windy, no smoke.

semoochie
    Participant

We had a power transformer explode last night, so we lost power for an hour or so. That’s pretty quick, under the circumstances! They must have moved us to another transformer.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I made another discovery today. KFFP-LP 90.3 is now being heard on 95.9. This is due to KXPC being off the air. The translator has no way of knowing whether it is re-transmitting the correct 90.3 MHz station.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.