Eugene/Springfield ratings

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Notalent 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

radiogiant
    Participant

EUGENE-SPRINGFIELD
    RADIO RATINGS FOR SUBSCRIBING STATIONS

AQH Share for Persons 12+, Mon-Sun 6AM-Mid
    Data Released: 8/6/19
    Subscribers Added: 8/6/19

Subscriber Format FA 17 SP 18 FA 18 SP 19
    KKNU-FM Country 13.5 13.5 9.9 16.3
    KLCC-FM News Talk Information * * 9.2 9.3
    KDUK-FM Pop Contemporary Hit Radio 8.2 7.4 7.4 7.7
    KODZ-FM Classic Hits 4.6 4.3 5.3 6.7
    KMGE-FM Adult Contemporary 5.3 6.7 5.7 5.3
    KEUG-FM Classic Hits 6.3 7.1 5.3 5.0
    KZEL-FM Classic Rock 4.3 5.5 5.3 4.7
    KPNW-AM News Talk Information 5.6 4.9 5.0 3.3
    KFLY-FM Country 2.0 2.5 2.1 2.7
    KEHK-FM Hot Adult Contemporary 3.3 2.8 3.9 1.7
    KNRQ-FM Alternative 3.0 3.7 3.2 1.7
    KOPB-AM News Talk Information * * 1.4 1.7
    KUGN-AM News Talk Information 2.3 0.9 3.2 1.7
    KEQB-FM Mexican Regional 0.7 * 0.4 1.3
    KUJZ-FM All Sports 2.0 1.5 1.8 0.7
    KSCR-AM Adult Contemporary * 0.3 0.4 0.3
    KLFO-FM News Talk Information * * 0.4 *
    KOAC-AM News Talk Information * * 0.7

paulwalker
    Participant

Interesting.

We know one thing, KUGN and KUJZ will rebound once the Ducks start kicking it off at Autzen. I would wonder if they are not concerned about their low ratings the rest of the year.

KODZ is showing nicely here. Good job to Barry and/or whoever is running the show there.

KKNU and KDUK are solid, no doubt.

KEHK having some issues. I wonder if the format just needs a tweek or two. Likewise, KNRQ had a terrible showing. Surprising, since this format actually does well in most markets, especially with no competition.

Screamer
    Participant

Looks like the Bicoastal and McKenzie River stations received a bump because of Cumulus’ technical woes, especially KKNU and KODZ. Question is, how much of that audience can those stations retain after Cumulus fixes all the problems? I am guessing KEHK and KNRQ will rebound just fine once they fix the transmitters. KZEL is proof that the diary system is broken. I rarely heard them on any of my Salem trips. They should have a number closer to KNRQ and KEHK.

Looking at trends

KFLY is starting to grow, even if it is slowly. It is not really a threat to KKNU but, it has positive momentum. If they get into the 3’s, maybe we will see more live talent and less syndicated shows. Then again, they could follow the model Cumulus has for KEHK with mostly syndicated, low cost programming and keep the profit margin up. It still begs the question of why Bicoastal is in competition with themselves with KFLY and KRKT.
    KEUG rose from SP 17 with a 6.1 to a 7.1 in SP 18 and has dropped each of the books since with a 5.0 this book. I’m guessing you’ll see a couple tweaks in format over the rest of the Summer.
    KUJZ has dropped from a 2.9 in SP 17 to a 0.7 This book. A decrease in every book save last Fall. Not sure anything can save them at this point. You can’t lose 75% of your audience over an almost 3 year period and expect to keep format.
    KSCR I can’t hear it when I visit Salem so I don’t know the format. Is it Spanish? Would explain the numbers.
    If Cumulus still needs a frequency for the Ducks (which I thought that is what KUGN was for) it almost seems like Cumulus could move KUJZ’s Sports to KSCR’s frequency and flip KUJZ to a music format that could gain more market share. Since Eugene is a college town, I bet they could go Top 40/Urban with 95.3 and make a splash. It would likely require the patience Bicoastal has shown with KFLY as a country station.

lastday
    Participant

Cumulus also broadcasts Ducks Football on KZEL.

I wonder if KORE has had a negative impact on KUJZ.

paulwalker
    Participant

Thanks Screamer. Not being in the market I was not aware of transmitter issues.

lastday
    Participant

KSCR bills itself as “All Your Favorite Hits”. I don’t know the exact name for the format but basically it’s easy listening for adults. It doesn’t reach very far and certainly wouldn’t get to Salem except by accident.

KORE being Fox Sports has possibly cannibalized listeners from KUJZ. That and all the transmitter problems the Cumulus cluster has experienced this year hasn’t helped Cumulus at all. KZEL was at very reduced power for several months.

I wonder how KKNX is doing now that they’re on 105.1. Also wonder where KRVM-FM would rank.

lastday
    Participant

Made a point of listening to KSCR in the car today. They’ve branded it “The Valley 98.1”. Also it still has silent gaps where you’d expect a liner or sweeper or whatever they’re called.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I would call KSCR classic soft rock, music that 94.5 played 20 or 30 years ago. The sports talk on 95.3 used to be on KSCR, “The Score” before the translator was added at 98.1. If ratings don’t improve, it would make sense to move sports back with the added benefit of the translator. I expect having sports on 95.3 and 95.7 has been a benefit to the latter in accidental tune-ins.

lastday
    Participant

Agreed on Classic Soft Rock for KSCR.

It seems like Cumulus would want to change the call letters or formats around. KUJZ should be KSCR The Score. KSCR should be something else. KVLY seems to be available. “The Valley: 98.1 KVLY”.

KUJZ sounds like a university station with a jazz format. Ha.

semoochie
    Participant

Soft Classic Rock

Screamer
    Participant

Sorry for the delay in response, Paul. I just got back from another Salem trip. A buddy of mine in Eugene says that every Cumulus station was off air multiple times during the last book. Some had it worse than others. KZEL apparently had been running on a very low power. I listen to Eugene stations when I am in Salem because I am tired of the presentation and style of many of the Portland stations. Plus, it is just something fun and different for my road trips.
    Randy and Lastday, thanks for the info on KSCR. I never hear it when I am in Salem so I was curious. And looking at the numbers I don’t see why Cumulus doesn’t just move their sports station to KSCR and reclaim those calls. I agree with you about KORE, Lastday. I listen to KORE as one of my regular stations when I am in Salem. I like their funny promos and I don’t have to flip stations from Dan Patrick to Colin Cowherd like I do in Portland.

lastday
    Participant

KSCR still doesn’t seem to have any local ads. Everything is for stuff like how to settle your debt to the IRS and home air purifiers. No local connection at all.

Notalent
    Participant

Is Cumulus still operating without a full time engineer?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.