Eugene Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,105 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

Well that definitely qualifies as Eugene Radio Happenings.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I don’t think that frequency has made money since the days when it was the only country station in town. It was a big rock tied around the neck of every owner since the early 1970s. Even the daytime signal didn’t cover the full Eugene-Springfield area.

KUGN has a CP for a translator at 105.9, and an STA to remain on 102.9 with flea-power, but 98.1 is already built, and the center of the dial is a more strategic spot than the upper end where the fewest other local stations are. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens with 105.9 though. Maybe EMF will apply for it, heh, heh.

semoochie
    Participant

I didn’t know they had a nighttime signal. Was that KATR? I think I visited them in 1973, when I was in Eugene for the OAB Convention. I remember Nanette Fabray standing about three feet from me, at the convention.

chessyduck
    Participant

This would not be the first time Eugene loses an AM station. Was not there a KZEL-AM (or something similar) on 1540 AM in the late 60s?

I do remember some sunset-timeline DX of KATR from the Portland area. On that thought, in the early 80’s near the UO campus along East 13th I saw the former KATR converted promo car in the back parking lot of a local business. Further investigation led me to the storefront where technicians were building out the analog automation system for what would become KQDQ 1320, the MOYL-formatted station.

The ongoing decline of local AM radio remains painful. A slow death.

lastday
    Participant

In 2018 KRVM-AM 1280 was granted a construction permit for K254DN on 98.7. The permit expires 8-10-21. Anyone know what’s going on with that?

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1784227

semoochie
    Participant

“In 2018 KRVM-AM 1280 was granted a construction permit for K254DN on 98.7. The permit expires 8-10-21. Anyone know what’s going on with that?” The old KERG, Eugene Register Guard

chessyduck
    Participant

Following the complicated papertrail.

Filed today (7/15) with the FCC a license to cover for K251CY, basically the authorized facility for K251BN which K251CY assumes operation. KUGN will now repeat on 98.1 from Blanton Height at 195 watts. K251BN (ex-K275AA) license has been surrendered with the filing. (The fate of the 0.3 watt translator was sealed when the K251BN license was surrendered. I don’t think Cumulus ended up with a surplus translator assignment but I could be wrong.)

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/views/public/fmDraftCopy?displayType=html&appKey=25076f917a830e87017a8bfcbcba036d&id=25076f917a830e87017a8bfcbcba036d&goBack=N

The core declaration:
    https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f917a830e87017a8c01c51a0389

The original K275AA license was for 102.9 but back in December 2009 the owners filed to change channels – the reason, the impending move of now phantom-KYTE to the Coast Range.

(I could not track down the KUGN 105.9 paperwork – What was the callsign?)

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

1320 only had a 48 watt night signal after the FCC started allowing pre-sunrise power at night.

1540 was a companion to 96.1, but daytime only with no pre-sinrise authorization. It started as KWFS, and was bought by timberman, George Zellner in 1967, who programmed country music unsuccessfully. The AM-FM stations were off the air in late’69 when a group of college students approached the owner about signing the FM back on with progressive rock.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I don’t know the 105.9 call sign. It was to be the new home for 102.9, having started on 102.3 translating 95.3 to east Springfield. That history appears to be gone. 98.1 started its life on 96.7 in Corvallis, moved to 96.5 due to interference from a 96.9 translator running 250 watts from Eugene.

lastday
    Participant

Whatever KZEL is now, it has a very interesting and “important” radio backstory. Good for them.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

One of the KZEL war stories happened right after the students came in as volunteers. They carried as live speech by President Nixon, but as it ended, the DJ Gary Palmatier segued smoothly into a David Frye comedy routine that depicted Nixon smoking pot. Mrs. Zellner demanded the person responsible be fired, which they didn’t do. So the next time the Zellners stopped by to visit, Gary had to be introduced with a made-up last name. It wasn’t long thereafter that the station was sold.

chessyduck
    Participant

I finally found the letter from the DC lawfirm requesting the cancellation of the KSCR license.

See page 2 for some history..

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=98728

Big John
    Participant

For those who may be wondering how the 98.1 translator could be transferred to KUGN from KSCR. Here’s a letter I received today from our my FCC lawyer in D.C

Cumulus Silences An Oregon AM. There’s A Good Reason Why
    By
    Adam Jacobson

July 16, 2021
    On Monday (7/12), Cumulus Media surrendered the license for a Class D AM serving the Oregon city of Eugene. The official silencing of this station came just one month after its 59th birthday, and it also sees the extinguishment of its FM translator.
    While “The Valley” could be floored with the decision, the company’s News/Talker serving the market is poised to benefit.
    No longer in existence and ready for deletion by the FCC are KSCR-AM 1320 and FM translator K251BN, “98.1 The Valley.” It had been airing Adult Contemporary music by using one of the company’s Westwood One 24/7 formats.
    With a 0.3 in the Fall 2019 survey, “The Valley” was limited in its appeal.
    Meanwhile, News/Talk KUGN-AM 590 stood far behind Bicoastal Media‘s rival, KPNW-AM 1120, which benefits from an FM translator at 93.7 MHz.
    To better compete, KUGN will be adding an FM translator. And, it will be at 98.1 MHz. Only, it is not to be K251BN.
    Rather, Cumulus is relocating K275AA from Springfield, Ore., to Eugene, and changing frequencies from 102.9 MHz.
    KSCR’s history includes a run as a Radio Unica affiliate, airing the now-defunct Spanish News/Talk network’s lineup. From 1992-1995, it was a Z-Rock affiliate, and for the remainder of the decade a simulcast partner of KNRQ-FM, a “New Rock” station.

Matthew H. McCormick
    Co-Managing Member
    Fletcher, Heald & Hildreth, PLC
    1300 N. 17th Street, 11th Floor
    Arlington, VA 22209
    Direct: 703-812-0438
    Main: 703-812-0400
    Email: mccormick@fhhlaw.com

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

There is a past connection between KUGN and “FM 98.” KUGN-FM used to broadcast at 97.9 FM, identifying as “98.” It was best known as a top-rated country station before Citadel Broadcasting bought it and made it a “first-to-worst” failure that required a relaunch as “Cat Country 98, KKTT.”

lastday
    Participant

KRVM HD2 has some new liners. It’s been several years since they were last updated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.