Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,058 total)
  • Author
    Screamer
    Participant

I hear Lars on 720 right now. Comes in a bit better than 660. So, 10k on the AM reaches from Eugene to Portland, even if it is a bit weak.

lastday
    Participant

It’s technically listenable in Eugene (daytime), but the programming is not of interest to me in any way.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Yes, 660 is a Spanish-language Evangelical Christian format. I heard KFIR in Hillsboro at night once. I think that this was a technical problem because I checked again on a different night, and I heard a weak mix of stations, with KDWN being identifiable but suffering from quite a bit of selective fading.

paulwalker
    Participant

Lars is a decent talk show host, though I rarely find myself agreeing with him. Airs on KONA here in Tri cities. He tends to like confrontation and tends to put disagreeing callers on first. Kind of an old time talk show trick to create mayhem.

Does he still do a national show?

lastday
    Participant

I have a small speck of respect for Lars Larson. But the host of the show I heard today (not Lars, albeit for only 10 minutes which was all I could take) was spewing garbage sensationalist anti-vax propaganda.

W7PAT
    Participant

KFIR must have been testing the new transmitter yesterday night. Tonight I am not hearing them at all.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Around midnight this morning, I heard an old time radio theater program on 720. This is what is on KFIR’s schedule. Another station briefly popped in, and that may have been KDWN. 720 was heavily pummeled by KIRO sideband splash. The KFIR signal seemed much weaker than what I hear during the day, leading me to think that I was hearing the 146 Watt night power. This station is getting a lot of bang for the Watt, given that its tower is about 65 miles from my location.

lastday
    Participant

KFIR comes in strong and clear daytime in Eugene on a Sony XDR-F1HD with standard loop antenna. Better than in the car. And I have nearby high voltage electrical lines.

boisebill
    Participant

More like they forgot to drop it to 146 watts. Happens a lot with many stations nowadays.
    KDWN has basically gone away in Boise ID. But, KFIR has to protect KDWN about the same as when it was 50kw. However! Their main issue with more power (at night) is protecting first adjacent 710 KIRO!

russell-curry
    Participant

I didn’t notice KDWN had been downgraded until I read it here and then checked Locator. I’ve noticed it’s harder to pick up, but figured it was KFIR and the noisier band these days. Did they have to do it because of another station expanding night coverage, as with KGA?

Chico
    Participant

Russell- in this case it was more of a real estate transaction. We’ve seen a lot of these lately in the AM landscape. KDWN sold their former transmitter site and are diplexing with another array in town. They had to downgrade both day and night output on the new array to make it all work. In a valley location like LV, I am willing to bet (LOL) their one centrally located 250 watt translator gets more local listeners than any amount of power on the AM side, anyway.

russell-curry
    Participant

I remember back in the early days, KDWN got up here just fine with 10kw.

semoochie
    Participant

KGA reduced nighttime power in order to increase the power of the company’s San Francisco area property. This is similar to what happened to WOWO. The company was able to improve coverage of New York.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yeah, the part of New York state no one lives in nor stays up late at night, the only time their coverage is slightly improved.

boisebill
    Participant

KDWN was 50 kW Day & Night. Nice cardioid pattern. flattened/wide null to the east.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by boisebill.
Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,058 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.