Eugene Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,025 total)
  • Author
    radiogiant
    Participant

Somthing stinks, on a diffrent note. I had a friend apply for the job of Program Coordinator. No interview no letter saying thank you applying..nothing. My friend was very disappointed to find out Stu’s EX wife was actually hired. Anyone else have a theory ? I’m thinking Stu knew who he wanted but could not hire her unless the got 2-3 outside applicants. Very unethical if you ask me.

lastday
    Participant

Note that Eugene School District 4J is the employer, not KRVM. They make the rules. Also eligible applicants get a thorough background check because the studio is physically attached to Sheldon High and the station works directly with students.

Just pointing that out. It still could have been preordained. Happens all the time.

Edit: It’s also worth noting that they needed someone who could be an on-air personality due to the COVID mess. Debi Starr is very professional on-air.

lastday
    Participant

KRVM Winter Membership Drive begins 2-13. They’ve dropped Island Earth Radio (not surprising) and moved Routes and Branches and Sounds Global.

EDT: GTR Radio isn’t on tonight either.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Mike Meyer’s side of the story is on his Facebook page, and is at least worth consideration for those interested. “Lack of diversity” is the topic that the higher ups allegedly still don’t want to discuss in the year 2021.

That said, diversity depends partly on who is available to volunteer on-air, but given the current political climate, along with our nation’s history, diversity isn’t just some individual’s pet peeve, or poor timing. It seems it’s never a good time to discuss race/gender/orientation issues, and every action taken is deemed “inappropriate” by the white male ruling class.

lastday
    Participant

The station exists only by providing programming that its listeners want to hear and are willing to pay for. You can’t come in and upend the core programming in the name of greater diversity.

Even if the station needs more diversity, Meyer could not have picked a worse time to wage his battle. In the past year the station has faced many existential threats.

Global pandemic leading to inability to do shows live in the studio, loss of business underwriters, loss of some volunteer DJs who are technically unable or unwilling to produce a show from home, having to piece together shows in-house from sketchy home-produced material, etc.

In June the station’s GM abruptly left. Stu was eventually promoted to that spot. Then they had to recruit a new PD. So the two top staffers are still trying to land on their feet. Dorking around with the primetime schedule by programming more Island Earth Radio and Eclectic Dance Music (both pet projects by Mr. Meyer) would be ridiculous in this time of uncertainty for the station. They need consistency and continuity right now.

Also they’re preparing for the winter membership drive. All meeting between staff and DJs has to be done via Zoom. They can’t meet in person.

Now in the middle of all this Mr. Meyer decides it’s time to change up the schedule by adding more niche programming in primetime. When he doesn’t immediately get his way, he starts badmouthing management to the other DJs. That right there would get most anyone fired from most any job.

Meyer may have a point and the station may need to work harder at diversifying its programming. But it’s a very poor time to tackle that in any meaningful way right now.

I do still believe they could greatly improve their diversity of programming by using HD2 for some of that, along with streaming it so everyone can get it. Hell, make HD2 “Island Earth Radio” 24/7.

Meyer’s goal is noble. His methodology of effecting change is extremely flawed and unfair to management at this time.

lastday
    Participant

In other KRVM news, effective 2/8/21 John Etheredge is hosting Breakfast With The Blues Monday thru Friday. I believe he’s hosting at least five other weekly shows.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10158253972647582&id=49985567581

chessyduck
    Participant

When I lived in Eugene I remember the Coburg Hills were well-populated with broadcast antennas. Right now only KODZ and a CSN International 10-watt translator remain up there. Besides the two TV stations (now re-located) and KODZ – were the any other stations up there?

Probably published before, but here is the legal backgrounder about the KEZI/KMTR exit from the Coburg Hills. It was all about the high-rent district.

BLACK TAIL DEVELOPMENT, LLC,
    v.
    OREGON TV, LLC,
    Lane County Circuit Court : 15LT13883; A161997

https://cases.justia.com/oregon/court-of-appeals/2018-a161997.pdf?ts=1535567575

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

The low-powered “Christian” KHWB-LD, virtual 38 (34) is still up there but has only been broadcasting a carrier for several months.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

https://www.klcc.org/post/carl-stolz-host-klccs-blues-power-dies-69?fbclid=IwAR1EuDmRwLyXIuLGTvEIIZ3kXk5JtYRbAwbA21kzW1CpYNP6NzS4M8SDxoc
    KLCC has announced the passing of Carl Stolz, host of “Blues Power” since 2000. He and a radio/business partner, Lenny Goldberg came from the Bay Area to Florence in the late 1970s and opened Rainy Day Records, and moved the store to Eugene in 1979 as Loony Land Records, which specialized in golden oldies. They hosted various radio shows together and separately as “Crazy Carl” & Loony Lenny.” Lenny eventually moved to Ashland and opened a store, while Carl remained in Eugene. Prior to coming to Oregon they hosted “Cruisin'” on KPFA in Berkeley.

A much younger Carl Stolz on KPFA in 1975 playing 1950s R&B, and Doo Wop can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/user-204682788/kpfa-berkeley-carl-stolz-oldies-2-15-75

chessyduck
    Participant

Thank you for the KHWB info – their website actually includes photos of the Coburg Hills site : hiswordbroadcasting.org

I also see a listing for a KLSR-TV repeater up there called : K19GH-D.. I assume this is different than KHWB-LD.

chessyduck
    Participant

I see the Lane County School District has a construction permit for K254DN on 98.7 FM , a 99-watter for a cross-service relay of KRVM-AM (JPR). I could not find any engineering study for it at FCCDATA.ORG. The CP expires in August, 2021.

Did that FM translator go on the air? (It’s tied in perpetuity to the KRVM-AM facility.)

lastday
    Participant

There’s nothing on 98.7 yet. KRVM’s former GM mentioned this was going to happen but that was at least a year ago.

chessyduck
    Participant

Thank you. I was mistaken. I did find in another filing with all the useful engineering studies. The Lane County School District used an outfit of Creswell , Woods Communications.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101784227&formid=349&fac_num=202478

lastday
    Participant

That would be Tom Woods. I believe he was the full-time engineer for Cumulus Eugene until they started cutting everything. Now he’s their contract engineer. I think KRVM uses him for major projects.

http://www.woodscomm.com

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I also see a listing for a KLSR-TV repeater up there called : K19GH-D.. I assume this is different than KHWB-LD.

Yes, a translator for KLSR.

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,025 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.