Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 982 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

Station staff are actually employed by Eugene School District 4J. 4J would have to know since they did the actual recruitment for the position.

lastday
    Participant

KRVM’s fall membership drive was a big success, topping last year’s drive. I am told that Grateful Friday did exceptionally well. The school district gave special permission for Ed K to do his 13-hour Grateful Dead show live in the studio.

Debi Starr sounds very professional on-air. Gives the station a different voice.

chessyduck
    Participant

With KEZI, KDUK and KFLY up on Prairie Peak there must be some heavy power requirements on that hill . Google Earth does not appear to show any powerlines up there. Are all stations running propane-based generators up there or is there something my eyes don’t catch? (Okay, KPIJ is also up there up but its ERP is only 550 watts.)

The only other Coast Range broadcasts stations that I know of running on gas/solar are KSND and (perhaps one day) KYTE. (Are there others like southeast of Coos Bay?)

Broadway
    Participant

Assuming underground installation here…with internet backup for program content…wind storm proof.

Notalent
    Participant

JPR Has a few solar powered translators scattered throughout the state of Jefferson.

The only ones I remember for sure are Iron Mountain south of Powers in Coos County and Lakewood, Or.

I know there are more…

boisebill
    Participant

RE KDUK etc…
    Pretty sure there’s commercial power up there.
    KPIJ is about 2.8 miles WSW from that site.
    Nice there’s a road to the KDUK KEZI site now. Looks like they’re going to put a subdivision up there. Or start logging.
    They used to have to take off through the woods between trees up the hill.

e_dawg
    Participant

Since KEZI broadcast from the same transmitter site as KDUK and KFLY. Can you pick up KEZI in the Portland area with a long outdoor VHF antenna?

jr_tech
    Participant

“Can you pick up KEZI in the Portland area with a long outdoor VHF antenna?”

In Hillsboro, I can detect the KEZI digital reference carrier at 186.309 mHz with my Icom VHF receiver, but ihe signal is too weak for a tv to decode, even with a 10 element high band Yagi.

glennwood5
    Participant

KEZI was always directional from Coburg Ridge covering Eugene and Springfield. Since moving to Prairie Mountain, they also directional towards Eugene and Springfield. Check this FCC link for more info:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=kezi&fileno=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page%2FTab&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

glennwood5
    Participant

I had the same question until I saw this video made long before KEZI came to Prairie Mountain. Please listen carefully as the narrator says, “tank house and backup generator.” If they were using a generator you would be able to hear it in this video. Suppose most of it is underground.

johnf
    Participant

This discussion of the distance that Eugene TV signals can go reminds me of something that happened in the late 1970s or early 1980s. At the time, I was editor of the weekly newspaper in Anacortes, about 80 miles north of Seattle. One morning I was flipping the channels offered on our local cable system, which has its signal receiving towers on one of the nearby smaller mountains, I think. I turned to Channel 13, expecting to see KCPQ, the Seattle station. Instead, CLEAR AS A BELL, I saw the station ID for KVAL in Eugene, 362 miles south! I remember specifically that the ID featured some brightly colored passenger balloons flying over the Willamette Valley. I couldn’t believe it. Somehow the KVAL 13 signal was overpowering KCPQ. I’m not sure, but I think it was during the summer, on a clear morning.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by johnf.
    Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KVAL used to sign on with video footage of balloons from that same shoot.

semoochie
    Participant

I once read that a NYC station was suddenly replaced by a Dallas Cowboys game, so it CAN happen!

johnf
    Participant

Randy — Come to think of it, it was indeed KVAL’s morning sign-on that I so clearly saw up in Anacortes. And I am wondering whether the scenes of balloons flying that were shown then might have been from where I now live — here in Newberg — where we have long had a balloon company operating.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I don’t know where it was shot, but the music in the background was likely either Chuck Mangione’s “Feels So Good,” or “With a Little Luck,” Paul McCartney.

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 982 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.