Eugene Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 951 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I watched The Founder some years ago, and the irony of the title chosen for the film was not wasted on me. I recommend this film. The desire to ensure consistency between individual properties and to streamline via economies of scale is another parallel between franchise restaurants and radio conglomerates that is demonstrated in the film. Many years prior to the making of The Founder, I read a newspaper article that listed some of the very strict protocols that were in the McDonald’s operating handbook. One of them was the temperature tolerance of the fryer oil was plus or minus five degrees (Fahrenheit). That blew me away.

boisebill
    Participant

Comparing Google Earth images of 1995 & 2018 doesn’t look like there’s been any significant new houses around Blanton Heights in that time period. Still a lot of empty fields & trees, and those power lines running east-west on the south side.

radiogiant
    Participant

I have heard Sinclair owns roughly over 100 acres around the their property on Blanton.

lastday
    Participant

KVAL’s main studio is on Blanton. It’s a very large chunk of property with a private road leading into it, security cameras, No Unauthorized Access signs, etc. KMTR might be there now after the Sinclair acquisition. I’m pretty sure the local news shows are produced there for KVAL, KMTR, and KLSR.

lastday
    Participant

Lane County property records show 4575 Blanton Road (address of KVAL) as 5.0 acres and still owned by Fisher Broadcasting in Cockeysville MD. Also it’s outside the Eugene city limits.

glennwood5
    Participant

KVAL expanded their footprint when they incorporated KMTR into the Blanton Road location. There are other towers, possibly on their property, owned by Oregon-California Broadcasting, Inc., (KLSR); American Tower; Cumulus Broadcasting; Day Communications; etc.. Here’s a quick tour of the Oregon-California Broadcasting, Inc. facility. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8rE41kvSWE

lastday
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that video!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Regarding the KOCF question, we still have some fundraising to do for some of the equipment, including a new transmitter. We plan to keep most of the existing gear at the fire station as a back-up. Late this afternoon our transmitter went down, and we don’t know the prognosis yet. What we do know is we don’t have a spare on hand, which means an opportunity for fundraising via social media, and the still-working stream.

russell-curry
    Participant

It will be interesting to see how KOCF does. It seems that often the LP’s that get out well are the ones that trade power for height–KISN, and the old 102.9 KPIK. KGEL, 4 watts, doesn’t have a great DX footprint, but pounds into Springfield and puts a pretty good signal into the Sheldon area.

Screamer
    Participant

I don’t get to many trips to Eugene lately. Wasn’t there a LPFM on 97 somewhere? Is it relevant?

lastday
    Participant

I swear every time I do a scan while driving in Eugene, there’s yet another LPFM. The dial is crowded.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KGEL’s 4 watts completely hammered our 100 watts within parts of our primary service area when we were co-channel.

97.3 is KEPW, Eugene Peace Works.

russell-curry
    Participant

<KSOW-lp is another 100-watter with no altitude. In it’s early days, it put a great signal into western CG, now it’s barely adequate. It used to be not unusual for it to get the better of KLTH up this way, especially in Springfield. >

e_dawg
    Participant

Does KMTR still have a studio in Springfield, OR adjacent to Interstate 5 or did they move the entire operations into KVAL studios in Blanton Heights?

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KMTR has fully moved operations up to Blanton Heights. They still have a CP for 1 million watts on Blanton, but are running their old 70Kw power on a Special Temporary Authority.

I don’t know what’s happening with KSOW-LP. Their website is no longer, and their Facebook page hasn’t been touched since 2017. Every time I’m in the area, they seem to be running Pacifica programs. They offered important help getting KOCF started, but I haven’t been in contact with them in a long time. It’s a very small operation.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 951 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.