Eugene Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 916 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

Whatever is wrong with KZEL continues. I guess Cumulus won’t overnight replacement parts for the transmitter.

boisebill
    Participant

How about real info instead of wild assed speculation. Trying to get a tower crew rounded up and antenna parts on site might be a reason for KZEL running on a low power backup.

lastday
    Participant

I’m better at wild-assed speculation. 😉

russell-curry
    Participant

I picked up a station on or about 88.9, coming from I5 to where I live near Sheldon Plaza. They were discussing covid’s impact on high-school sports. I heard it for maybe three minutes, until I was almost home, but I can’t pick it up at all from here. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

lastday
    Participant

I’m getting something billed as “Family Radio” on 88.9. It’s a religious format. Very Christian Bible-reading religious.

Edit: KQFE Springfield. “Relays KEAR-AM” out of San Francisco according to an FCC query.

russell-curry
    Participant

Apologies–it was actually 87.9.

lastday
    Participant

I’m not getting any trace of anything on 87.5 .7 or .9.

I do recall that a few years ago there was a pirate station in Eugene operating on one of those frequencies. They bragged about it to Eugene Weekly. “We’re smarter than the FCC! They’ll never find us below 88.1! Bazinga!”

Of course they conveniently glossed over the fact that almost nobody was likely to find them.

Broadway
    Participant

Most car radios can get 87.7 87.9 FM

Andy Brown
    Participant

“ Most car radios can get 87.7 87.9”

That is no longer true. My 22 year old sled has digital tuning and if you step down from 88.1 it goes to the top again at 107.9. Her car is a 2017 and doesn’t go there either. In fact, the exact opposite of what you posted is the real truth.

semoochie
    Participant

What about the handful of stations on 87.9? Did they move them?

Broadway
    Participant

My car…a 04 Corolla
    Wife’s car…09 CRV
    Both receive 87.7 FM
    Truth😀

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In my vague recollection, the PLL-tuned Chrysler/Mopar radios in Dodge Caravans in the 1980s could receive 87.9 but not 87.7. I remember this because at the time, I though that it would be cool to be able to hear channel 6 audio, but that was not possible.

In a previous vehicle that I owned, I installed a late 1980s Toyota radio because of its switchable AM bandwidths and its ability to decode C-QUAM AM stereo. This radio only tuned down to 87.9 MHz on the FM band.

The last two Honda vehicles that I have owned, one a 2010 model and the other a 2016 model, could receive both 87.7 MHz and 87.9 MHz. I find the inclusion of the former frequency highly ironic, as there are only a handful of places in the U.S. that have signals on 87.7 that could be received by an analog FM tuner. The Chicago and L.A. areas are two such places; they are home to channel 6 analog LPTV stations that are operated as radio stations. 87.9 MHz, known by the FCC as channel 200, is a legitimate FM broadcast frequency, although it only has two licensed users: one class-D station in Mountain View, CA and a translator in Sun Valley, NV.

boisebill
    Participant

Was easy to change the JV car radio region I had so it would would tune 76 to 108 MHz.

Scott Young
    Participant

I never realized 87.9 was a legitimate FM broadcast frequency in the US. There are a TON of car modulators on 87.9 though. I can’t believe many are Part 15 compliant, judging from their coverage. It’s really interesting to monitor 87.9 while driving. You never know what you’re going to hear. I wish all the car modulators were down there instead of sprinkled throughout the band bothering LPFMs.

lastday
    Participant

Current VW models can tune 87.9. Why? Lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 901 through 915 (of 916 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.