Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 871 through 883 (of 883 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

John Etheredge is a machine for KRVM. He’s been doing his 3 main shows and subbing for several others. Until the lockdown, I think he was the only host capable of putting together shows from home. Now they have several other volunteer hosts working on shows from home. The shows still have to be assembled at the studio though. Baby steps.

I’m working on putting together a test version of a “no host” Vinyl Revival for them, one of their main shows that really nobody sub right now. It’ll be MP3s ripped from vinyl with no cleanup — Vinyl warts and all, just like playing vinyl live. If that flies I’ll be doing a bunch more vinyl tracks for them to draw from in the future.

russell-curry
    Participant

Kwva was having some sort of technical problem earlier this month, which made it unlistenable on mono portables, but the stereo separation actually seemed to be enhanced. On my HDR-16, where the speakers are only a few inches apart, it was sometimes like some kind of audio illusion, where the sound seemed to be coming from way off to the sides.

lastday
    Participant

KRVM Vinyl Revival

My contribution of two hours of vinyl .wav files meticulously converted to 256k MP3 files was a little disappointing. Stereo folded to mono and low bitrate sounded very crude. Boo.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Kwva was having some sort of technical problem earlier this month, which made it unlistenable on mono portables, but the stereo separation actually seemed to be enhanced.

Perhaps, they inadvertently inverted the phase of one of the channels. Due to the way that most stereo recordings are mixed, this error would cause the lead vocals and bass instruments to disappear on a monophonic receiver. It would sound somewhat like a poor man’s karaoke machine.

lastday
    Participant

Apparently in the rush to assemble my MP3 files into a show on a deadline, someone missed that Adobe Audition was set to mono and very low bitrate. It happens. Lol.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

When KWVA had the problem, the signal was fading severely around town. Sounded similar to multipath, and in a number of spots was dead silent, almost as if there was another dead carrier on the frequency. Might have been noise filtering on my car stereo though, interacting with out of polarity audio, and their generally weak signal and lack of height. They are located on the AM 1450 tower at Delta Pond.

lastday
    Participant

KRVM’s GM gave notice today. For the record, the timing has zero to do with pandemic-related issues.

This is a big blow to the station.

If annual member & business underwriter contributions drop by say 20% due to the economic meltdown, that would probably not be sustainable. 4J would look at it and say “This isn’t working”.

I am very sad. Shit!

Broadway
    Participant

>>interacting with out of polarity audio, and their generally weak signal and lack of height.

KWVA could of had both their old and new TX sites on at the same time as I noticed that they still have the old site on the UofO campus as their backup site.

lastday
    Participant
    glennwood5
    Participant

Was Stu Allen the KRVM GM who resigned?

lastday
    Participant

Was Stu Allen the KRVM GM who resigned?

No, Cambra Ward. She’s relocating out of the area. Stu is the PD.

lastday
    Participant

And now come the mandatory furloughs.

glennwood5
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification.

Viewing 13 posts - 871 through 883 (of 883 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.