Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 856 through 867 (of 867 total)
  • Author
    lastday
    Participant

I suspect that John Etheredge is a special case. He seems to be set up to voice track his shows from home. He often guest-hosts other shows but I don’t think he’s at the studio.

On Saturday, Beatles Hour was unhosted but all-Beatles. Magical Mystery Tour was unhosted AAA. Routes and Branches was hosted by Mike Meyer and I’m sure he was in the studio.

lastday
    Participant

Actually John Etheredge is guest hosting at least 3 shows today, plus his normal SoSG.

Breakfast With The Blues
    Son of Saturday Gold
    Soul City
    Swing Shift

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

…and he’s very capable with all of them. He hosted “Big Bands Plus” on KRVM about 40 years ago.

More of the KRVM hosts should learn to assemble shows at home. KOCF-LP still doesn’t have a studio in Veneta, so that’s how all shows are created, except the PD has the ability to live-remote broadcast.

lastday
    Participant

They (KRVM) are frantically working on how to keep some of their signature shows like Magical Mystery Tour on the air. They’re struggling with IT-related issues preventing hosts from doing their shows from home. They have practically no resources to draw from on how to do this stuff. Some hosts are computer-literate, some not at all. 🙁

I had a “brilliant” idea for them to fill MMT with full album sides. It’s easy to create a single MP3 file for an entire album side. Well apparently copyright & licensing rules prohibit playing album sides. Are you shitting me?

semoochie
    Participant

It’s really strange watching some of the late night TV shows from home, reminiscent of early local television. Jimmy Fallon, for one, has his three year old daughter crawling all over him, during his monologue!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Well apparently copyright & licensing rules prohibit playing album sides. Are you shitting me?

What I have read is that this restriction comes from the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and it only applies to U.S. based stations that stream their programming over the Internet. Since most terrestrial stations today feature availability of their programming over the Internet, virtually everybody is forced to follow the rule.

In my recollection, no two consecutive album tracks may be played back-to-back, and there is a limit to how many songs by a “featured artist” may play per hour. Thus, I imagine that an “All Elvis” or an “All Beatles” show would not be permissible. I have no clue how stations were able to do retrospectives on David Bowie when he died, unless–of course–I am wrong about that provision of the rule.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Before the DMCA there already was a rule in the copyright guidelines prohibiting playing albums straight through.

If memory serves KINK and KGON had to drop their late night album features long before streaming was around. Billboarding was the action that instigated the rule being added because a ton of folks out there would load a blank into their cassette recorder, tape it, and sales would be effected. It was more about sales than copyrights.

Also, songs that run together can be considered a single track if I’m not mistaken. Then the DMCA was amended so special programs with artist focus could be aired. I think it’s still (technically) not OK to put on an album side or play a CD straight through, and you certainly can’t announce you’re going to do it in advance.

Having said all that, I’m not a copyright attorney. Clearly exceeding the guidelines is not robustly enforced. As recently as the passing of Neil Peart resulted in many stations playing hours of Rush non stop and I’ve never read any blow back about events such as that.

semoochie
    Participant

The part about “how many songs…” sounds like the government is indirectly involved in programming and that was deemed to be unconstitutional. I suspect that there is more to it.

lastday
    Participant

Licensing 101

What is the “performance complement?”

The performance complement (which limits the amount of times a service may transmit sound recordings from a specific artist or album during a specific period of time) is one qualification to which all webcasters must adhere in order to be eligible under the statutory license. The performance complement may only be violated if the service has received specific waivers from the owner of the sound recording copyright, and unintended violation of these limitations (if corrected) will not cause a service to be ineligible for statutory licensing. The limitations are, specifically:

No more than 4 tracks by the same featured artist (or from a compilation album) may be transmitted to the same listener within a 3 hour period (and no more than 3 of those tracks may be transmitted consecutively).
    No more than 3 tracks from the same album may be transmitted to the same listener within a 3 hour period (and no more than 2 of those tracks may be transmitted consecutively)

Notalent
    Participant

That’s like banning buggy whipping your horse long after cars were invented… Today not many people “other than those here” would have both a home radio and the ability to record content off the air

Shirley Knott
    Participant

No more than 3 tracks from the same album may be transmitted to the same listener within a 3 hour period (and no more than 2 of those tracks may be transmitted consecutively).

This is why my automation has been informed that most of the hits in rotation are a ‘Single’. Life’s to short to be taken in by a SoundScam.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification on the “performance complement.”

I think that the “entire album” ban that Andy is alluding to goes back many years before streaming and the DMCA. Apparently, it is an obscure rule because in my days of volunteer radio during the 1990s, I never saw mention of it in any station’s training manual. However, the station where I ended up spending many hours at the board had a rule that any given artist could not play more frequently than once every three hours, with the exception of the Friday night artist spotlight show. This station policy would have made the station virtually compliant with the “entire album” ban.

Viewing 12 posts - 856 through 867 (of 867 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.