Eugene Radio Happenings

This topic contains 819 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by  Randy_in_Eugene 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 820 total)
  • Author

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I’m involved in KOCF, which tested on 92.7 a couple of Sundays ago, and we can be heard at the Eugene city limits, and towards Junction City, but beyond that is spotty. KGEL-LP out of Jasper has been hitting us hard on 92.5, within our primary service area. 92.7 is a very quiet frequency, other than a little bit of KNCU from Newport in Coburg and Junction City. We covered KNCU in those areas during our test. Target date to make the permanent switch is April 20th.

Screamer
    Participant

Randy, who do you think is doing a good job in Eugene? I believe you have mentioned KRVM before. Who else? My experience down there has been some stations feel better run than even some of the Portland stations. Then again, some of them are also crap.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I don’t listen to much commercial radio, but the McKenzie River Broadcasting stations are locally owned and heavily researched. Not my kind of radio, but they put more into them and get more out of them. New Country 93.3, Mix 94.5, Bob-FM 105.5, and La Que Buena 97.7.

For my own likes, KRVM is a good default, and the music mix on their HD2 channel that resembles KNRK. A few shows on KWVA, often via podcast to play in my car. For commercial radio, KNRQ rarely (Al Scott is still PD and afternoons), and I have the AM oldies station, KKNX, on my shower radio because the morning show is live and local with news. Oh, and I keep OPB radio on to make noise when I’m not home and sometimes hear segments.

The rest of my listening is online.
    “Sacramento’s K-Zap” (KZHP-LP, AAA/Progressive Rock)
    Howard Hoffman’s “Great Big Radio” (Oldies Gone Wrong)
    “Sun 103.1” out of Texas (Americana/AAA/Oldies/Roots)
    “Lightning 100,” Nashville (Where AAA and Alt Rock meet Americana)
    WIXL-LP, Madison WI (Christian hit music)

That’s more than you ever wanted to know.

lastday
    Participant

KRVM has brand new turntables and they sound really good. Breakfast With The Blues on Thursday, and Vinyl Revival on Monday are vinyl. A few other shows have some vinyl mixed in. They’re also exploring putting some high-quality vinyl rips in their automation library.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  lastday.

Screamer
    Participant

Thanks, Randy and you’re right, the shower part was maybe a bit ‘more than I wanted to know” haha.

It seems like the Eugene-based/owned/headquartered stations are doing some good things. The corporate stations seem to lack something. Although I do like some of the things KDUK does – and their format is not my cup of tea. When I am in Salem I will flip around between them, KNRQ (to listen to Al) and KORE to get my Eugene radio fix. I find myself on 102.9 most of the time these days, except during Rome. I’m getting too old for his schtick.

lastday
    Participant

Cumulus.

KUJZ has no right channel today. And KZEL is distorted with a source channel missing so it sounds like listening only to one channel.

Cumulus.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I guess that’s one way to keep two stations going with one working STL. Steve Tannen sounds like he’s broadcasting remotely, or using a mic from an old Soundesign cassette portable.

lastday
    Participant

Maybe they’re working on the KZEL transmitter with KZEL and KUJZ running on backup transmitters. Hasn’t KZEL been running at reduced power for several months?

russell-curry
    Participant

I was able to pick up KOCF from near Sheldon plaza, understandable with a little concentration. I’m wondering what is there about changing frequencies that it can’t be done instantaneously–for instance, do you have to replace or adjust the antenna?

lastday
    Participant

So at around 4:10 PM this afternoon, Steve Tannen’s show was going out on KUJZ, KZEL, and KEHK. KNRQ was dead air. Right now KUJZ and KZEL are garbled noise. Tannen is still on KEHK, still dead air on KNRQ.

EDIT: Steve Tannen and crew are explaining to KEHK listeners what their sports talk show is all about. Basically using this snafu to amazingly promote their show. He described this as the radio equivalent of “an away game”. Steve Tannen for the win! He’s too good for this market. 😉

Wait — Now they’re on KZEL again.

This is probably the most listeners “KUJZ” has ever had.

Screamer
    Participant

It’s a stunt. They’re trying to see which frequency gets the best response and they will flip format on that one.

Broadway
    Participant

Quad-Mo-Cast!!!

lastday
    Participant

Somehow “amusingly” came out as “amazingly”. Auto-correct?

KEHK and KNRQ are completely off the air right now.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Answering the question about KOCF and frequency change, our transmitter is “frequency agile,” so all we had to do was turn down the power, switch the frequency up one assigned channel, then turn the power back up to 100 watts. It was accomplished in less than a minute, and since it’s such a small difference in frequency we did not retune the transmitting antenna at this time.

The reason for the delay between receiving the Construction Permit, and the actual change was to promote the crap out of it, print new bumper stickers, arrange and hold a celebration at Whirled Pies on the night of the change. There was some significance to choosing April 20th as the day, heh, heh.

lastday
    Participant

Is KOCF running 24/7? I’m getting something very weak in east Eugene near I-5 but haven’t ID’d it yet. Don’t have a very good antenna though.

EDIT: Live Stream confirms it is KOCF.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 820 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.