Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

This topic contains 839 replies, has 62 voices, and was last updated by  lastday 1 hour, 26 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 840 total)
  • Author

lastday
    Participant

KLCC claims running in HD increases their power bill 30%. They mentioned the nuisance of manually maintaining time alignment, especially difficult at remote rebroadcast locations like KLBR Bend. They didn’t have the automatic GPS-based time alignment system like KRVM has. And in general they think nobody knows or cares about HD.

Basically it’s the same list of reasons KWAX used when they decided to drop HD.

Well for those in Eugene who do care about HD, KRVM is now the only game in town.

Screamer
    Participant

This is from All Access:

KORE BROADCASTING LLC Sports KORE-A-K239CM (1050 AM & 95.7 FM FOX SPORTS EUGENE)/EUGENE, OR is adding FOX SPORTS RADIO’s DAN PATRICK to its lineup for 6-9a (PT) in a live clearance. The station has been airing FSR’s “OUTKICK THE COVERAGE WITH CLAY TRAVIS” on delay in that time slot.

boisebill
    Participant

Cumulus Eugene has a new Chief Engineer.

W7PAT
    Participant

The failure of HD will be because broadcasters failed to promote and explain HD to the public. The industry would rather use their HD signals to feed low power translators.

Screamer
    Participant

Isn’t HD rather expensive to operate for smaller market stations?

lastday
    Participant

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that KLCC, KWAX, and KRVM (all public radio) got grant money for the initial deployment of HD. So their up front cost would have been minimal. But they’re on their own when something breaks.

lastday
    Participant

After some friendly back and forth emails with KLCC’s engineer about their dropping HD, I emailed KLCC “management” to express my opinion. Instead of replying to me (a subscribing member-listener), they handed it off to the engineer to deal with.

lastday
    Participant

Someone alert the media. KRVM AM-1280 is back in HD again after a lengthy hiatus.

lastday
    Participant

Snowmageddon in Eugene (by Eugene standards anyway). I measure 11.5″ on the deck. Many stations with transmitters on Blanton Heights are down including KLCC, KWAX, KZEL, KNRQ. Even KVAL is down. KRVM is still up. I wonder if they’re running on the emergency generator they installed a year or so back.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KOCF-LP, Veneta (Oregon Country Fair) has applied to move one channel up, from Channel 223 to Channel 224 (92.5 to 92.7). Same location (firehouse), same power.

russell-curry
    Participant

Even on AM, KPNW was down a good part of the week. Far as I can tell from here, KNND is still down. Back in the much bigger snowstorm of ’69, KNND was never down, none of the other AM’s were either, far as I recall.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I didn’t check AM, but KPNW’s FM translator was a carrier with no audio, as was mostly the case with KEED and KKNX. KODZ (the former KPNW-FM in the Coburg Hills) was off for several days as well.
    Cumulus used to have a generator for 97.9 before it was moved to Portland, but they don’t seem to be utilizing it elsewhere in Eugene.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

After some friendly back and forth emails with KLCC’s engineer about their dropping HD, I emailed KLCC “management” to express my opinion. Instead of replying to me (a subscribing member-listener), they handed it off to the engineer to deal with.

KLCC has been without a GM for a few months and they are in a second round of interviews. They were without a PD for awhile as well, having just hired Jason Brown out of Cape Girardeau, MO. https://www.klcc.org/people/jason-brown

russell-curry
    Participant

I’ve just read that KUJZ has a cp to boost power from 630w to 1750w. Not that much of an upgrade, so after comparing it to 97.7 and 105.5, I’m not sure whether or not they’ve upgraded yet.

russell-curry
    Participant

It will be interesting to see if or how well KOCF reaches Eugene, once it moves. It does reach several miles of I5, north of Eugene.

Viewing 15 posts - 781 through 795 (of 840 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.