Eugene Radio Happenings

This topic contains 802 replies, has 60 voices, and was last updated by  lastday 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 803 total)
  • Author

lastday
    Participant

New Country isn’t country. It’s bad rock with a fiddle.

— Tom Petty

fennekinisfire
    Participant

Listening to 89.9 on a Sony CFD-S550, and it’s definitely not playing the same music on the KQAC stream. Am I possibly receiving something from Eugene??!

jr_tech
    Participant

Guessing it is KLCC 89.7 Eugene.

fennekinisfire
    Participant

KLCC seems to come in fairly decent on 89.7, while 89.9 is mainly more static than the classical music itself. (although I can hear it a little faintly.)

lastday
    Participant

KZEL’s transmitter has been on its usual seasonal hiatus for a few days. They’ve been on their backup transmitter which turns high frequencies into something like razor blades scraping on glass.

KLCC’s HD seems to be more down than up recently. When it finally dies I wonder if they’ll give up on HD. I hope not. It would leave KRVM as the only HD station in Eugene.

Greg_Charles
    Participant

double post

lastday
    Participant

KZEL’s main transmitter is still bigly fubar and Atlanta is dragging its feet about spending money. Meanwhile the station is still on a backup transmitter.

radiogiant
    Participant

First of all, how many people really have HD radios ? Second, Atlanta doesn’t give a rats ass about little ol’ Eugene. Never have, never will. They can’t even get a station in the top 6 in ratings. Turn out the lights the party never started. Just sell them, cumulus.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

According to CDBS application fillings, antenna bay H system is the problem and KZEL-FM has been at near half power for three years.
    Cumulus will go down long before iFeart. FCC grants another “Transfer Control” application two months ago ahead of “re-organisation”.

lastday
    Participant

Granted it may be a dead horse. However:

https://www.radiomagonline.com/trends/hd-radio-penetration-nears-50-in-new-car-sales

HD Radio Penetration Nears 50% in New Car Sales

All 40 major automobile brands offer HD radio in at least one model

Nearly 250 different car models come with HD radio

More than 50% of those car models sell for under $35K, and 75% cost less than $50K.

===========

Re KZEL, my info comes from a Eugene cluster insider. FWIW. Anyway the station sounds awful, more so than usual.

EDIT: That 50% STA was cancelled long ago around 3 months after it was granted. ??

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=61925

I don’t see anything more recent. Citation requested. 🙂

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Good catch! I stand corrected.
    My understanding from perhaps another “insider” (Citicasters), those Shively 6810 antennae have a water seal problem and Craig is just pumping hot ‘dry’ air up the tube to reduce the SWR.
    My opinion is Corporate cancels the Special Temporary Authority to maintain the active Class C application and create more grief for 3 Horizons KWLZ-FM PDX move in.

lastday
    Participant

My source tells me this time it’s a straight-up transmitter failure not related to antanna, SWR, etc. They’re running at <1000W. Also mentioned is they have a new engineer (contractor?) learning the Cumuli ropes and putting out various smoldering fires.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Understandable. SWR will do bad things to a transmitter.
    A 1.12 : 1 Power Standing Wave Ratio will reflect 12 kW back down to the finals. Any impedance changes also changes the 150 kHz bandwidth characteristics.
    BT=2(Δf+fm)
    Besides, who listens to KZEL anymore. Proudly claims 40 years of rock with a playlist to match.

paulwalker
    Participant

Actually KZEL is doing well. Highest ratings in recent book than the past couple years.

https://www.allaccess.com/nielsen/q/market/171/eugene-springfield-or

Cumulus may have problems, but they still exist, and Eugene is currently one market where they still own and operate many signals. KZEL is currently their ratings leader.

lastday
    Participant

Paul,

Your link seems to require a login. 🙁

KZEL has long been the Cumulus flagship in Eugene. But aren’t KZEL’s numbers relatively anemic compared to say KKNU? The last time I saw the full market ratings I think KZEL was like #6 or thereabouts. Certainly not a Fail, but I really believe they’d be stronger if PD Mark Raney had full control. He knows.

EDIT: “Something to do with the plate voltage inside transmitter” is the transmitter problem. How serious is that?

Viewing 15 posts - 751 through 765 (of 803 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.