Eugene Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 1,025 total)
  • Author
    boisebill
    Participant

KPNW-FM?
    They STILL might not get a signal into Springfield.

Broadway
    Participant
    Andy Brown
    Participant

“look’n good…”

Not really. Too much of the heart of the signal is over mountains where nobody lives. Also, radio-locator tells you nothing about the topography between antenna and their contours which means everything. If they were “look’n good” they wouldn’t have to throw so many people out of work.

semoochie
    Participant

As far as the signal is concerned, it should be similar to KDUK, which has never had much trouble in the ratings. If it isn’t, other factors must be involved.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Again, that’s not the whole picture because they are operating at different frequencies where the potential interfering signals are coming from different directions. You can not oversimplify it like you allude to. Whereas the propagation of the signals might be similar because they both are about the same location/class/power/height (and as a result both wasting lots of signal over non populated areas), the reception of these signals at any geographic point can not be so easily paralleled. You must look at each one individually, where and how powerful co channel, first and second adjacent signals are coming from and the topography between those potential interfering signals and the point of reception you are analyzing.
    Especially as you get out to the edge of the 60 dBu contours.
    I realize that a lot of people reach conclusions about a signal based on co location, but that’s just the propagation part of the equation. The reception part is not so easy to figure out and is IMO more than half of the ballgame.

semoochie
    Participant

Yes, those would be the “other factors” but Eugene falls well within the 70dbu contour and the ratings USED to be pretty good.

jr_tech
    Participant

One data point to the North… KFLY is pretty solid in Hillsboro (Similar to KDUK and KLOO)… not just an easy catch on Sony F1HD/Yagi combo, but ok on better portable radios in the house and car radios.

boisebill
    Participant

Then again there’s places east of Bend on State 20 you can listen to them clearly!

Broadway
    Participant

“look’n good…”
    with all these comments…

paulwalker
    Participant

Hmm, just surfing the site and noticing a comment about KDUK. I programmed KDUK fromn 1998-2001,and we did well. My recollection was the signal was weak but we overcame it. Of course, we had great talent like Barry and Val, and yes, myself. (sorry). But I think the biggest part of our success was that we existed during a period when Top40 was still adult friendly. There were a lot of artists during this era that were friendly to the younger and older demos. Good times, I guess, but from a radio perspective, we also did all the basics that need to be done to win. I look back as this as the last great top40 period. Thanks to all who were a part of a magical time.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“My recollection was the signal was weak but we overcame it.”

We all know that people will put up with an inferior signal if the programming is what they want. Personally I don’t think air talent has as much to do with it as the music, so your roll as P.D. was way more significant then being a jock. Just my opinion, nothing personal. See:

http://feedback.pdxradio.com/topic/kvan-the-mono-maniacs-mrs-murphy-amp-more

http://pdxradio.com/kvan/index.htm

See, Broadway. When you put an antenna in the middle of the mountains, your signal suffers because you are trying to serve population living on the edge of your interference free turf. It is common sense. Those stations were put there probably to try and serve the valley and the coast and be as close to Portland as spacing would allow. Big dreams like that often yield poor technical performance. It’s like if Portland west hills stations had no Portland and were serving Keizer and Albany as their main target.

Not to even mention the horrendous multi path caused by signals bouncing off of the adjacent peaks as they propagate to lower elevations.

The general rule of thumb is never put your antenna in the middle of a mountain range. Put it on the edge of the range closest to the communities you want to serve.

In Colorado, for example, up in the mountains there are a lot of full service Class A’s that based on spacing could be higher class stations, but why pay a big power bill to cover nothing and potentially create multi path interference to a valuable community that a lesser class signal can serve just fine.

Broadway, your lack of engineering prowess continues to astound me.

Broadway
    Participant

>>KFLY is pretty solid in Hillsboro
    >>places east of Bend on State 20 you can listen to them
    >>Eugene falls well within the 70dbu contour
    Guess these listenable signals are flukes…

Andy Brown
    Participant

Broadway, you have just underscored my point.

Hillsboro is way outside KFLY’s 60 dBu contour. As I have explained many times, stations with antennae located up very high will often have good reception way outside their interference free contour at high elevations due to their excessive heights and the curvature of the earth. Do I have to draw you a diagram? It doesn’t mean it is a quality coverage signal at all. It’s also a single point. To assume that at that distance, everything along a circular contour of that distance would yield similar reception results is stupid. The same applies to “places east of Bend on State 20.” The same physics applies. Source of signal way up high, random points well beyond the service area of good reception are also high in elevation, it’s an unobstructed shot that doesn’t matter in the design nor marketing of the station. Broadway, give it up, you are grasping at straws and don’t understand propagation. Sorry.

As far as Eugene, the signal would be theoretically strong there (and Corvallis and Albany) but that doesn’t support your ‘looking good’ comment. Of course the signal is going to be able to serve most of the mid valley, but it’s also wasting at least half of its signal over the Siuslaw National Forest. I’ll venture a guess that there are plenty of spots around Eugene where the signal is not that good because of the hills. Not to mention all the signal wasted to the west. Again, big signal with lots of waste.

fieldstrength
    Participant

KFLY 101.5 FLIPS TO AAA

“World Class Rock 101.5” is currently running jockless.

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/93748/format-change-imminent-at-kfly-eugene/

semoochie
    Participant

Wasn’t 95.3 AAA for awhile? Any others?

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 1,025 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.