Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

840 KKNX was sure coming in strong in the Portland area last night. Normally we don’t hear much on 840, other than a mix of garbage”

That’s why they call it skip.

Broadway
    Participant

170 night time watts from Eugene to PDX— 😀

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s not about power at night, Broadway. It’s about atmospheric conditions.

DanOregon
    Participant

This is a TV question for Eugenians – why does KEZI broadcast at a noticeably lower volume than every other station? Is it an ABC thing? I don’t watch their local news so I don’t know. It’s really odd to be flipping channels and when you hit KEZI you have to turn up the volume.

silverdollar
    Participant

I just compared KEZI to several other stations. The volume level seems perfectly normal. They’re running the ABC network feed right now.

Andy Brown
    Participant

One of the stark contrasts between radio and television, and I’ve been an engineer in both industries, is the attention and detail applied to audio.

In television, even before hubbing and extensive remote controlling of just about everything, a television program chain passes through so many stages (compared to radio) that many times, the ideal feed levels of audio can be either attenuated or amplified, resulting in less or more signal hitting the final stages before being transmitted to air or fed to cable distribution.

The networks are generally more at fault these days than ever before because they have so many affiliates under complete remote control (not that it can’t be bypassed or adjusted locally), but since most of the folks that would be capable of doing that have been downsized, the controls are remoted and hubbed and the changes in level from program to commercials to network to local are largely fixed after being supposedly balanced. Networks can change their satellite transponder and switch all the network satellite receivers at the affiliates remotely, and sometimes do that for once reason or another, and introduce a new set of devices into the program chain at each affiliate, causing video and audio anomalies due to processing not being set up in advance and thusly being hit with too much or not enough signal.

Not to mention the FCC clamping down on loud commercials. Audio processing set to less than ideal attack and release settings can make things real soft or loud depending on which switching occurs, and the usual excuse is that “it’s all digital now” and there is no control over that. If you believe that, I got a bridge in Alaska to sell you.

boisebill
    Participant

If you’re using Windows Media Center to watch TV the Microsoft CODECs SUCK.

On the PC four of the HD-1 channels in Boise are at least 10 dB softer than their HD-2. Some TVs don’t handle the audio stream quite right.

They didn’t use the KISS principle designing ATSC.

DanOregon
    Participant

Might be a Comcast thing. I’m in Corvallis, don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

silverdollar
    Participant

I’m on Comcast in Eugene. Have you tried sampling KEZI over the air to compare to Comcast?

During the digital TV transition KLSR had horribly mismatched volume levels when switching between local and network feeds. Local ads inserted into network shows had very low audio levels. Now they seem to be using some kind of automatic level adjuster that takes a few seconds to compensate.

So I’m poking around the AM dial and notice that all the music on KKNX 840 is off-pitch and off-tempo, like a turntable running too slow. How in the heck can that happen in the digital media era unless it’s intentional? Every song sounds off-pitch and too slow.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

KLZS/Eugene Adds Portland Trail Blazers Basketball

The NBA’s PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS add an affiliate in the EUGENE-SPRINGFIELD market with EUGENE COMEDY RADIO Comedy KLZS-A (ALL COMEDY 1450)/EUGENE joining the BLAZERS radio network this season. The BLAZERS have not had a EUGENE affiliate since News-Talk KPNW-A carried the games in the 2009-10 season.

BLAZERS Pres./CEO CHRIS MCGOWAN said, “There are a lot of loyal TRAIL BLAZERS fans in the EUGENE/SPRINGFIELD area, and we’re thrilled to have the TRAIL BLAZERS RADIO NETWORK on the air once again. KLZS is a unique carrier for TRAIL BLAZERS Basketball with its 24/7 all-comedy format. Their signal strength and ability to carry all TRAIL BLAZERS games makes them an excellent partner.”

KLZS Co-Owner CHRIS WARREN added, “We at ALL COMEDY 1450 are extremely excited to be EUGENE/SPRINGFIELD’s voice of the BLAZERS. We’re all huge TRAIL BLAZERS fans, and we can’t wait to bring games to LANE COUNTY and surrounding areas.”

The BLAZERS are heard on a network with iHEARTMEDIA Sports KPOJ-A (RIP CITY SPORTS RADIO 620)/PORTLAND as the flagship.

semoochie
    Participant

Their signal strength? On 1450? How can they say that with a straight face?

Broadway
    Participant

>>I noted that they have excellent processing

Actually they have an excellent tower and ground site with better than normal specs for 1450 1kw’s.

semoochie
    Participant

Since a large percentage of games are at night, how is that going to work out for them?

boisebill
    Participant

Well, they cover Eugene-Springfield just fine at night.

W7PAT
    Participant

What a shame to loose two 50 kW stations (KEX & KPNW). For the Trailblazer listeners on the road there is no longer any stations that can be heard north of Olympia or in California.

On the north Oregon coast, KAST does not come in well in Seaside at night and KPOJ is extremely poor there. There once was a time when you could get the Blazers on 3 station in Seaside, KYTE-FM, KAST-FM and KEX, now it’s a struggle to listen. KSRV in Ontario used to carry the Blazer games for eastern Oregon, but not anymore. What a shame they’ve let the Blazers network deteriorate like that.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 1,011 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.