Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,083 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant
    boisebill
    Participant

As long as it’s in writing from the right people at the right FCC office!

silverdollar
    Participant

It appears KRVM-AM-HD is no more. Been gone for at least a few weeks.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

It sure wasn’t an enhancement, and was not “CD-like quality.”

boisebill
    Participant

Cumulus got their 250 watt translator licensed.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

102.9 is still at flea-power and I can barely detect it in SE Eugene.

KRVM (AM) HD is back.

Broadway
    Participant

The updated Cumulus translator might have nearly Class A coverage….

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=K275AA&service=FX&status=C&hours=U

Andy Brown
    Participant

Actually, no. The theoretical 60 dBu looks good but if you look at the topography, the mountains around it are all as high or higher than the site so it will cover Eugene quite nicely but will face issues from about 80º (towards parts of Springfield) all the way around to about 280º. Coverage in Veneta will be marginal and in Creswell non existent, and they are both inside the 60 dBu contour. Veneta is down in a hole and the terrain between the xmtr site and there is all high up at the approximate same height. Between the xmtr site and Creswell, the mountains actually are higher in places by at least 100 meters. Most of Springfield will be OK, some of it not all that great.

To see what I mean, download the KML file from this link (be sure and get the CP kml file):

Then launch it and it will open Google Earth and you will see for yourself.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=30652

FCC servers are running really slow for me tonight. You might want to wait until tomorrow.

This is why I keep telling you that Radio Locator isn’t worth much for real FM coverage unless you know the terrain.

The giveaway is that when the HAAT is very small but the AMSL is high, you’re in the mountains (or high desert plateau with a short tower) and all bets are off. They only get awarded the full 250 W because the HAAT is so small. FYI, a 250 watt signal at 2000 feet HAAT is a class C2.

Besides, it is a fill in translator and it’s 60 dBu has to be inside its main 60 dBu. It’s all about covering Eugene.

silverdollar
    Participant

Although it’s close-in, Creswell is like a dead zone even for KZEL & KRVM.

silverdollar
    Participant

KAVE 88.5 in Oakridge receives KRVM-HD1 from Eugene and rebroadcasts it in analog 88.5 in Oakridge. System worked well until their Daysequerra HD receiver went tits up. KAVE has been using an analog-only receiver that sounds like what it is: a receiver doing what it can with weak analog. Not good

I talked them into trying my custom modified XDR-F1HD HD tuner. It works great! No issues with the unbalanced outputs, tuner gets a solid HD lock on KRVM HD1 and retransmits it. Battery backup, for presets, powers up to KRVM. Alignment optimized for 91.9 KRVM. To the locals it sounds like a local broadcast now, not some weak fuzzy station 50 miles away.

Yay.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Good job. Magnanimous.

jr_tech
    Participant

“I talked them into trying my custom modified XDR-F1HD HD tuner”

Hopefully the modifications include a cooling fan for the power supply and the transmitter is in an air conditioned building. FIHDs have been discontinued and are selling for high prices these days… you don’t want yours to “meltdown”. 😯

The Daysequerra tuners are more expensive, but at least readily available.

http://www.bswusa.com/Tuners-and-Receivers-DaySequerra-M4-2S-P8673.aspx

silverdollar
    Participant

Two cooling fans in the XDR. The KAVE equipment shed in Oakridge does have an air conditioner, with a backup exhaust fan that comes on if it gets above 80. Something like that. Anyway I was happy to help them out.

silverdollar
    Participant

Someone alert the media:

KZEL HD is down, again. I emailed Mark Raney but his mailbox is full. Lol. Rumor is they have a POS Harris HD exporter unit that never worked right and Cumulus doesn’t care.

KRVM-AM-HD is down, exporter is apparently a casualty of the summer heat. Not the first time.

KLCC-HD2 has been down this week.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I’m hearing a new mix of 102.3 & 103.7 coming in loud and clear at 105.1 on two home receivers.

103.7-102.3=1.4

1.4+103.7=105.1

It’s only been a week or two since my last dial scan that didn’t detect this.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 1,083 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.