Eugene Radio Happenings

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,105 total)
  • Author
    silverdollar
    Participant

Weird. I’ve never picked up anything on 102.9 but KYNW Centralia WA (under the right conditions). Now all of a sudden I’m getting this translator in Springfield. The way I read the STA is KZEL was using 102.9 K275AA but I’ve never picked up anything but KYNW. Local tropospheric ducting!

semoochie
    Participant

So, it goes toward Roseburg but not Eugene? I must be missing something.

silverdollar
    Participant

Word on the street is KWAX will not be back in HD anytime soon. Technical problem needs repair that’s too expensive to be worth it. Too high-maintenance in general.

KLCC HD2 is up and down from one day to the next. Completely random.

KZEL HD down now for a couple weeks. Speculation: Cumulus may be tired of paying someone to keep firing it up every time it dies.

KZEL morning duo Mark Raney & John Frederick seems increasingly like a bad match. Maybe it’s just me.

KNRQ morning pair Justin & Emma are awesome, too good for a small market, should be airing in Portland.

So anyway as of Jan 1st 2014, Eugene’s active HD lineup is KRVM HD1/HD2, and KLCC HD1/intermittent HD2.

silverdollar
    Participant

KZEL-HD1 is up again.

jr_tech
    Participant

Nice! KZEL-HD locked in quickly in Hillsboro, Did they increase HD power?

silverdollar
    Participant

Don’t think so. I have noticed lately that I’m able to get solid HD lock on several Portland stations using just a cheap indoor dipole antenna. Must just be favorable conditions up and down the valley.

jr_tech
    Participant

Conditions between Portland and Eugene *still* remain good! I can get HD lock on KZEL with my antenna pointed anywhere between 150 and 210 degrees…very non-critical. These foggy winter days usually seem to be good for this path. Although water vapor attenuates RF, I’m guessing that the conditions promote a certain amount of “bending” or “ducting”. OTOH, Seattle stations seem very weak today. I have observed before that when my Eugene reception is very good, Seattle reception suffers.

Andy Brown
    Participant
    silverdollar
    Participant

KRVM-FM has resumed Internet streaming. They support the usual media players, as well as TuneIn for mobile devices.

http://www.krvm.org/listen/listen.html

Andy Brown
    Participant

LPFM applications in the Eugene area were granted to:

Laurelwood Academy, Jasper, OR 92.5 MHz

The Oregon Country Fair, Veneta, OR 92.5 MHz

itsvern
    Participant

Hey Dave, that should free listeners to 91.9! You give up on the AM side?

silverdollar
    Participant

Unfortunately on the Global Tuners node I can have HD with FM; or I can trade the HD for AM. So far I’ve stuck with the HD. It’s the software. And the developer is in Europe with no access to HD for testing updates. I actually have a newer version that tunes much more quickly but has no HD support at all. That is problematic with the tuner unless I modify it to force analog mode on HD stations. I hate to do that.

So if the Oregon Country Fair will have its own LPFM, I wonder if that means KRVM & KLCC won’t be doing live broadcasts from the Fair any more?

Are the religioids deliberately trying to game the LPFM application system? Reading the complaints it seems like either they are, or they’re clueless, or they’ve hired incompetent advisors for making these applications.

Funny thing on the KRVM streaming, they had told me there were a few regular streaming listeners on weekends, and next to nothing the rest of the time. That’s been my experience: two or three weekend regulars, nothing much the rest of the time.

silverdollar
    Participant

KRVM, KZEL, KUJZ all down for several hours now due to power outage on Blanton Heights. KLCC seems to be on reduced power. Everything is very iced up here, tree limbs coming down, etc. Ugly. Half-expecting my neighbor’s overgrown tree to crash on my house, clearly a lot of extra weight on the limbs from ice.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

For some reason there is always an outage on Blanton when it snows. Distant reception isn’t particularly enhanced today, so not much to listen for. All the Cottage Grove FMs were off for awhile, including the KWAX 101.9 translator, but KINK wasn’t exactly booming in.

Andy Brown
    Participant

LPFM CP granted to:

Eugene Peaceworks, Eugene, OR 97.3 MHz

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.