Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    itsvern
    Participant

I remember when KEHK was oldies.

Broadway
    Participant

>>Dawson McAllister

Dawson does a youth radio talk show…

http://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault

the_radio_guy
    Participant

With KNRQ’s move to 103.7, Cumulus now puts harmonic interference (a mix of 103.7 and 102.3) over 105.1 and 100.9 around Eugene. They need to work on fixing this issue, especially since EMF has a translator on 100.9.

silverdollar
    Participant

Is it possible KNRQ on 103.7 is somehow “too hot” and that’s causing the harmonic interference? I know nothing about radio engineering but every time I tune 103.7 now it seems WAY “louder” than any other station.

bossjock
    Participant
    silverdollar
    Participant

Disregard, nothing to see, move along. 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Is it possible KNRQ on 103.7 is somehow “too hot” and that’s causing the harmonic interference? I know nothing about radio engineering but every time I tune 103.7 now it seems WAY “louder” than any other station.”

If they are over modulating, their signal becomes wider on the dial than it should be and can cause lots of interference. And yes, it will be louder.

Quick primer for non engineers in analog FM:

Frequency modulation is achieved by varying the carrier frequency around center frequency. The carrier moves back and forth from center at a rate dependent on the frequencies of the modulating information. The distance from center that the carrier moves is determined by the amplitude of the modulating signal. 100% modulation is defined as 75 kHz of deviation. So over modulation means the signal is moving further than 75 kHz from center. Since the channel is only 200 kHz wide, 100 each side of center, you can see how it will splatter to adjacent channels when over modulating. It also can create spurious harmonics that wouldn’t be created had the modulated envelope remain inside its boundaries.

silverdollar
    Participant

Belated thank you Andy for your technical explanations.

silverdollar
    Participant

KNRQ 103.7 is down tonight, has been at least an hour now… Some other 103.7 fades in and out, maybe KMTT in Seattle?

Confirmed: “103.7 -The Rhythm of Seattle”

boisebill
    Participant

FM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR LICENSE TO COVER GRANTED

OR BLH-20130729AIJ KNRQ 61987 CUMULUS LICENSING LLC License to cover.

E 103.7 MHZ HARRISBURG, OR

FM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR MODIFICATION OF LICENSE GRANTED

OR BMLH-20121127AQA KNRQ 61987 CUMULUS LICENSING LLC License to modify.

E 103.7 MHZ HARRISBURG, OR

silverdollar
    Participant

KKNX 840 AM is running promotional TV spots in Eugene. They mention “In HD” twice. Anyone confirm this? I’m getting only very poor analog AM.

boisebill
    Participant

“BMLH-20121127AQA… License to modify” is the conversion to a Commercial license.

silverdollar
    Participant

KZEL-HD1 is down again. Likewise KWAX-HD1. What is it about IBOC hardware that makes it so susceptible to crashing? Or is it just bad configuration?

Did I read somewhere that KBOO is planning to set up a translator in Creswell?

semoochie
    Participant

I can’t remember the last time there was a problem here, that took an HD station off the air.

boisebill
    Participant

The HD equipment is for the most part the same as your desktop PC.

Put it on the same power feed and locate it with of a lot of high powered transmitters (even with a good UPS) and it will fail.

Add to that buggy software.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 1,011 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.