Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    KevanGC
    Participant

Could one of you in Eugene try recording 103.7’s sign on at midnight?

I’ll try with GlobalTuners, I’ve got a way to record it. But there’s always a chance it might crash.

silverdollar
    Participant

They’re on again right now. The signal strength on my Sony XDR’s s-meter is nearly pegged out, definitely higher than 97.9 was at full power. That’s the tuner used for the GT node… Anyone up north of Eugene picking it up?

EDIT: They’re down again now. Sorry for the multiple false alarms.

jr_tech
    Participant

Solid in Hillsboro on 9 element FM log-Yagi and Sony F1HD (3 bars indicated)… 10dB over S-9 on Icom 8500 with same antenna. Can get it fairly well in some rooms (with some antenna adjustment) on a decent small portable (Eton E-5). Oops they went off again!

silverdollar
    Participant

They’re still tweaking stuff… On my Global Tuners XDR I’m able to extract and display much more signal strength granularity than those silly 3 bars on the LCD.

What happens to “The 97 Days of Summer” now? 😉

Broadway
    Participant

97.9 is simulcasting now on 103.7…barely get 97.9 in Salem…103.7 sounds like it’s local…no multi-path going to my part-time job in my Corolla tonite….honkin signal…

silverdollar
    Participant

Is it better than 97.9 was at full power?

Broadway
    Participant

Can’t tell…97.9 had a good signal in Salem. 103.7 comes in just as good or better…less multipath…

silverdollar
    Participant

Lived in Eugene since 1990, never been up to Blanton Heights where these towers are. Drove up there today just out of curiosity. First thing that struck me is it’s basically an upper class residential neighborhood with these high power broadcast towers pretty much in people’s back yards. Everyone in Eugene is up in arms over EWEB’s smart meters: Oh we’ll all be irradiated by these nano watt transmitters and sprout extra toes! Meanwhile residents of Blanton Heights have 100KW commercial flame throwers aimed at them. Seems like we should be hearing more about two-headed puppies and 3rd nipples in that neighborhood.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Similar arguments have been made regarding the West Hills transmitters in Portland for years. The so-called science backing such claims has always gotten shot down. I suppose such arguments have been made against TV/radio towers in similar residential areas elsewhere by the NIMBY (Not in My Backyard) crowd.

Best, Mike 8)

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Two-headed puppies aren’t much fun. The 97 days of summer will just SEEM longer if you’re listening to 103.7.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

They suddenly cut off 97.9 at midnight mid-song during a syndicated show. No 103.7 ready to carry on. Static on both frequencies. I don’t care to stay awake all night waiting…

KevanGC
    Participant

At 12:06 Pacific 97.9 is dead air according to the Global Tuners box, 103.7 is off the air.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I barely beat Kevan to the punch with an edit on my last post.

KevanGC
    Participant

Should someone (maybe me) just leave the recorder up and cut out the long static section tomorrow? Hmm…

KevanGC
    Participant

97.9 in Aloha is on? Just tuned it for a sec and heard “KXPC Aloha” and a pop song start up, but it’s just totally staticky so I put it back to 103. We need someone taping both channels!

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 1,011 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.