Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    powerslacker
    Participant

KNRQ is promoting the move now:

https://www.facebook.com/979knrq

Rock 97.9 KNRQ

about an hour ago

We’re MOVING!!! KNRQ is turning up the POWER and moving to 103.7 on your radio dial! We’re bringing along the rock, the DJ’s, the contest and everything else! Be on the lookout this Saturday/Sunday at midnight for the move!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Turning up the power? Compared to right now, yes, but otherwise 103.7 is to be at about the same height with an increase in vertical signal from 75 to 100kw.

When they made the move from 95.3 to 97.9 it was a major power increase. Even so, when the switch was made 97.9 was more heavily processed to give the average listener the illusion of sounding more powerful.

The last time around the change was heavily promoted, but so far this time, hardly a whimper…

silverdollar
    Participant

Personally I hate the way KNRQ sounds. Way too compressed and artificially loud. And their coverage has always seemed inferior to other strong locals.

You kids get off my lawn! πŸ˜‰

itsvern
    Participant
    Master of Disaster
    Participant

Vern: you be me to the punch! πŸ˜‰

When they made the move from 95.3 to 97.9 it was a major power increase.

IIRC, 95.3 is/was a 320-watt height-compensated C3, compared to 97.9 being either a C or C0, that I don’t know. What I do remember was their ability to cross-promote the switch by simulcasting 95.3 and 97.9 for a period of time, which they obviously won’t be able to do here.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

The All Access announcement:

Alternative KNRQ Moves To 103.7 FM In Eugene

CUMULUS/EUGENE, OR announces that Alternative KNRQ will be moving its frequency from 97.9 FM to 103.7 FM, effective JULY 28th. KNRQ will broadcast with 100kw from its tower site in BLANTON HEIGHTS. The call letters and format remain the same on ROCK 103.7 NRQ.

OM AL SCOTT said, “At KNRQ, we’ve been looking forward to our new home on EUGENE’s FM dial! KNRQ will remain a strong station in the EUGENE/SPRINGFIELD market.”

silverdollar
    Participant

I’ll leave my Global Tuners server up Friday thru Sunday in case any remote users want to listen in on all this Eugene radio action as it unfolds. πŸ™‚

silverdollar
    Participant

KNRQ just dropped off the air… And back a minute later…

silverdollar
    Participant

103.7 was just briefly on the air simulcasting 97.9. Getting close! And it’s up again now…

Why is 97.9 at reduced power? Moving transmitter stuff?

Edit: Now they’re not airing he same thing. ?

semoochie
    Participant

The way I read the KXPC construction permit, they intend to replace the KNRQ antenna with their own, i.e. the same spot on the tower. It makes perfect sense then that KNRQ shifted to its auxiliary antenna and removed the main one.

KevanGC
    Participant

Now they’re not airing he same thing. ?

Is 103.7 still on the air?

jr_tech
    Participant

“Is 103.7 still on the air?”

Unlikely, all I am hearing this morning from Hillsboro on 103.7 is “The Mountain” (KMTT) From Seattle fading in and out, off the back of my log-Yagi antenna pointed toward Eugene.

silverdollar
    Participant

No sign of 103.7 this morning. Last night they were clearly doing some testing. When 97.9 & 103.7 were simulcasting I did some quick A/B listening. 103.7 was not nearly as artificially loud. They will probably treat that as a “problem” on their list of loose ends related to moving. πŸ˜‰

Meanwhile still no HD on KZEL and that background “eeeeeeeee” noise is still there.

jr_tech
    Participant

“Meanwhile still no HD on KZEL and that background “eeeeeeeee” noise is still there”

Not hearing it in Hillsboro, but perhaps it is very high pitch and out of my range. ❓

silverdollar
    Participant

103.7 is alive… And now it isn’t… “Never mind” πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 1,011 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.