Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 1,083 total)
  • Author
    Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Groucho Marx allegedly once said something to the effect of, “I’m sorry I haven’t written back sooner but I’ve been very busy not answering letters, and I just got around to not answering yours.”

Re: HD and 2nd adjacents, in the case of receiving KWAX interference on 90.7, the 90.7 translator is located a few miles north of Eugene, almost to the Linn County line. I live 11 miles south of the translator and about 3 miles from KWAX. Without KWAX HD, 90.7 is very listenable stereo, although not quite full quieting. With KWAX HD on, 90.7 is barely receivable but unlistenable on my Yamaha T-85 in the narrowest mode, and on my Sony HD tuner. Driving around in my Honda, when KWAX HD is off, 90.7 is a little spotty in S. Eugene, but decent everywhere else in Eugene, but my auto-gradual-high-blend is fully mono everywhere as well. With KWAX HD on, 90.7 is hammered to the northern-most areas of Eugene, and even spotty inside its 60 dBu. (90.7 is very weak in most of Springfield due to shading from Coburg Ridge.)

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Re: 98.5, I have no info about KHAC.

Cumulus has filed to modify the CP of the 98.5 translator, but I don’t see changes in location, power, etc. According to the original application it is to rebroadcast KZEL, but the assumption was it would relay a future KZEL-HD2. There was speculation KNRQ’s “intellectual property” would go there after 97.9 moves out of market, but with Cumulus buying 103.7, the latter is the likely spot for the KNRQ call letters and format. (I think we’ve already established a near-zero chance 97.9 will retain the present calls or format when it moves.)

It would seem like Cumulus would be interested in simulcasting KUGN (newstalk) on 98.5 FM.

silverdollar
    Participant

I guess if pirate radio 98.5 was shut down it’ll show up here eventually: http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/

semoochie
    Participant

There has to be some sort of widespread poor engineering down there! I can hear second adjacent translators all over town on various analog radios and don’t hear any interference at all, in some cases, between second adjacents!

jr_tech
    Participant

Does KWAX go through a combiner to a master antenna like many Portland HDs do?

e_dawg
    Participant

Any plan or date when will 97.9 THE Q move to 103.7 FM?

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KWAX shares a tower with a few other signals, but the FCC shows them at a different height, AMSL than the others, so I will assume no combiner/master antenna.

semoochie
    Participant

A better question would be “When will 103.7 move into Eugene, so KNRQ’s current format can move there, assuming that’s what they plan to do?”.

semoochie
    Participant

KSHL’s move into Eugene has been approved again.

oldsalt
    Participant

Does anybody know of a site dedicated to Mid-Valley radio?

KevanGC
    Participant
    semoochie
    Participant

If you’re just looking for history, here’s an old site. I don’t think it’s been updated in years. http://www.angelfire.com/or/erg/

silverdollar
    Participant

Apparently the operator(s) of 98.5 were previously busted in 2012 and 2001. Always on 98.5. I predict they’ll come back, on 98.5 again, and right about that time Cumulus will light up their new translator on 98.5.

EDIT: Apparently one of the recent incarnations of “KHAC” started out on 87.5. http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2011/12/08/news.html#s3

Why can’t they admit they just want to do it for the thrill of giving the evil FCC the finger? 😉

silverdollar
    Participant

KRVM: “Streaming is temporarily unavailable as we seek an acceptable agreement with music rights management. Sorry for the inconvenience.” 🙁

Home

On a happier note, their live music coverage of the Oregon Country Fair was excellent this year. The audio was in high-quality stereo. Mixing etc. were well-done.

silverdollar
    Participant

KRVM-AM’s HD exporter fried Sunday 7/14 in the hot weather.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 1,083 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.