Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,083 total)
  • Author
    Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KFMY was first in Oregon to broadcast multiplex stereo.

http://archive.pdxradio.com/radio/history/messages/995/2480.html

semoochie
    Participant

Stereo, that was it!

silverdollar
    Participant

KZEL sounds terrible to me today, like poorly compressed very lossy MP3 audio. Analog & HD.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

I’m very sad to hear that Barry has passed away. He was a real mentor to me, and a true friend. I just heard his voice on a promo while listening to KKNX yesterday. He was one of radio’s finest!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I attempted to tune in the 90.7 Air 1 frequency and found the KWAX buzz saw (HD) is back on.

Broadway
    Participant

>>90.7 Air 1 frequency

and that’s their better facility for Eugene…Does the 90.3 site still cut out the audio? EMF might want to keep their 103.7 once they move it to Eugene for Air 1?

jr_tech
    Participant

“I attempted to tune in the 90.7 Air 1 frequency and found the KWAX buzz saw (HD) is back on”

Thanks for the “heads up”. This morning I had the KWAX HD was locked in solid (in Hillsboro) for several hours… sounding good! Now it’s starting to switch back an forth between analog and digital fairly often. KWAX *really* needs to adjust the analog time delay a bit, as there appears to be a slight difference between the two, noticed during switching.

Borderblaster
    Participant

“…KWAX HD was locked in solid…”

Good to see that iboc buzzer is reaching this far north, puts to shame the performance of all those shortwave jammers

Microphone
    Participant

(from previous posts)

>> No, I believe that KFMY is the oldest FM in Oregon.

>> KFMY signed on the air January 17, 1959.

KRVM signed on in 1947 as part of the Eugene Vocational School.

Roger Houglum was instrumental in building and starting the station, and some say KRVM stood for “King Roger’s Vocational Masterpiece”. Perhaps only a rumor, but a good one nonetheless.

From the website:

http://www.lanecc.edu/archives/eugene-vocational-school-records-38-65

“Eugene Vocational School responded to the need for skilled workers during World War II and then made a successful transition to peacetime after 1945. In 1947, the radio station KRVM signed on as the first educational FM station in the northwest.”

Regarding Barry “Bear” Corkery…. I worked with Bear at KFMY in the ’70s, and those were some great days.

silverdollar
    Participant

KWAX analog & HD seem in very tight sync right now. The only local HD station that never gets its HD & analog time-aligned is, well, the one that’s not affiliated with public radio. 😉

Speaking of KZEL I got a confirmation they have a processor issue making them sound bad. They’re working on it.

jr_tech
    Participant

“KWAX analog & HD seem in very tight sync right now”

Yes, Indeed! 🙂

I haven’t heard KZEL HD in a while, as I have semi-locals on 96.3 and 95.9 so the 96.1 IBOC sidebands are covered up… except when tropo is really good.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

“Does the 90.3 site still cut out the audio?”

That did finally get fixed but it took about 2 years. It’s been so long I don’t recall what the problem finally turned out to be. With KWAX hash on 90.7, 90.3 is the better of the two, covering much more population.

semoochie
    Participant

Why do you have trouble with second adjacents? I don’t have any problem at all, even on translators or LPFM!

silverdollar
    Participant

@Randy_In_Eugene. I thought you were someone else when I earlier said “I bet RIE knows”. Sorry if that seemed odd. 😉

Anyone know if Eugene pirate radio 98.5 “KHAC” got busted? They abruptly disappeared over the weekend after a long run of consecutive weekends on the air. They were on Friday, but silent Sat-Sun.

Some googling reveals pirate radio has a history of operating in Eugene on 98.5: http://members.efn.org/~radio985/

Isn’t 98.5 going to be the new translator for KNRQ when it moves?

silverdollar
    Participant

Eugene School District 4J is recruiting for a new Operations Manager for KRVM

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/laneedu/default.cfm?action=viewjob&JobID=679169

No sign of 98.5 “KHAC” this weekend.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 1,083 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.