Eugene Radio Happenings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,011 total)
  • Author
    silverdollar
    Participant

The 104.3 I’m getting on my Global Tuners node is a KBOO repeater in Corvallis or Albany.

Notalent
    Participant

Most stations using extended hybrid mode are using the “MP3” version which has nothing to do with the compression mode of the same name.

I don’t have the white paper in front of me but that factors out to 64k on the HD1, 32 on the HD2, and generally 28k on the HD3 with the rest used for data.

KUOW in Seattle operates this way.

For music using the MP1 mode for a full 98k on a single HD stream is the best (obviously) for audio quality. in that mode if you add an HD 2 you necessarily have to cut the quality level of the HD1.

Depending on the quality of the audio processing and music files being played this will be noticeable. At these lower bitrates any decrease in quality will be magnified.

Stacking compression algorithms will also result in audible degradation. Compression algorithms exist in satellite feeds, MP3 music files, STL systems, and some Audio over IP studio/control room systems.

A good example of a minimally compressed system would be KEXP. the only compression in their on air stream is the occasional Apple “lossless” coded song file. or when they are on a live remote. they have a single HD1 at 98k.

I don’t have any direct knowledge of how Eugene stations are configuring their HD but hopefully that helps with the background info referenced above.

Personally I notice Seattle/Portland HD stations of most bit rates sound pretty clean, going over to Spokane they mostly sound full of artifacts and to me after hearing what HD radio can sound like, unlistenable. OPB HD2 could sound better and I have no knowledge of why it doesn’t.

As for Eugene I’ve only heard KZEL and KLCC in HD which both sounded fine.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m wondering if I don’t prefer some artifacts. KBOO used to sound like it was always airing an old recording but now, it sounds fine. Has anyone heard word about KXPC’s progress in moving into Eugene?

silverdollar
    Participant

Thanks for the additional tech info, appreciate it.

“For music using the MP1 mode for a full 98k on a single HD stream is the best (obviously) for audio quality.”

That has to be the mode that lights up the “HD Radio Live” icon on some HD receivers.

KevanGC
    Participant

The 104.3 I’m getting on my Global Tuners node is a KBOO repeater in Corvallis or Albany.

Interesting, that’s the one I heard uncensored rap on. Or was KBOO playing uncensored rap? These guys were using the F-word and N-word every couple sentences it seemed like.

silverdollar
    Participant

If Randy’s correct about a pirate on 104.3, presumably that could override the distant KBOO translator. I’ll pay more attention to 104.3…

jr_tech
    Participant

When I checked this morning, what I heard on the Eugene GT on 104.3 matched the programming of my local 90.7, KBOO but about 10-15 seconds behind. If there is a Pirate on 104.3 in the Eugene area, possibly it does not cover a wide area, or can be easily swamped by the KBOO translator.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

As noted on the other thread, I assumed 104.3 was a pirate because I heard no announcer or ID, but I might not have been listening through the top of an hour. I am now hearing KBOO at the same signal strength, so I now believe that’s what I heard last night, which matched KevanGC’s description.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

When did KBOO’s new 104.3 translator begin broadcasting? Is the old 100.7 translator still on the air?

jr_tech
    Participant

Good question! All I see listed is a Construction Permit for the 104.3 facility… so are they still “testing” ?

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=149626

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

I heard an announcement last night of their “new Corvallis and Albany translator frequency,” and the wording suggested this is meant to be a replacement for the “old defective translator.”

I realize this is a separate translator filing, not a “frequency change” per se, even though the announcement implied otherwise.

silverdollar
    Participant

“KHAC” Pirate Radio 98.5 is on the air.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

(I would have preferred to start a new thread, but someone was taken to task previously for starting an out-of-market thread for a longtime air personality who had passed on.)

Longtime Eugene rock radio personality, Barry “Bear” Corkery passed away on May 23rd, but an obit was just published today. His stops included KFMY, KZEL, and for a short time he was a VJ at KLSR TV when it first signed on as a low-powered music video channel.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/registerguard/obituary.aspx?pid=165331907

I first discovered Barry on “Earth Rock 98,” KFMY around ’74 or ’75 doing an oldies show called “Olds 98” and I was an instant fan. At that time I recall him mentioning on air he had worked at KSJO in San Jose prior to coming to Oregon. Not mentioned in the obit was a short stint at “Earth Radio” KSFM in Sacto, where I found him while on a road trip.

One historical error in the obit has KFMY as “[T]he first independent FM radio station in Oregon.” If I recall Craig’s information correctly, that title would go with KPFM, which didn’t have an AM for it’s first 5 years.

I hope to get some audio of Barry up soon.

semoochie
    Participant

No, I believe that KFMY is the oldest FM in Oregon.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KPFM signed on the air November 1, 1946.

KFMY signed on the air January 17, 1959.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 1,011 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.