Eugene Radio Happenings

This topic contains 746 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  lastday 14 hours, 32 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 747 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Since this is primarily a Portland radio board. I never wanted to start threads individually for every Eugene announcement. I would search out old Eugene threads but sometimes the headers were not what I was really posting about. Thought I would start an over all thread where anyone can post what they’ve heard in Eugene. I’ll start it now:

________________________________________________________________________________________

This from All Access:

Maverick Joins KEHK For Afternoons

CUMULUS Hot AC KEHK (STAR 102.3)/EUGENE, OR names former KFYV (LIVE 105)/OXNARD-VENTURA, CA APD/MD/afternoon guy MAVERICK for afternoon drive.

MAVERICK’s experience includes close to 30 years in radio working in the LOS ANGELES, PHOENIX, DENVER, SACRAMENTO, VENTURA, SANTA BARBARA and MONTEREY markets.

According to KEHK OM AL SCOTT, “I can’t wait to get MAVERICK in the building and get him on the air! I’ve always been impressed with his work on the air and can’t wait to unleash him on our listeners.”

MAVERICK added, “This is going to be exciting for me to continue working with CUMULUS, and to be able to work with AL SCOTT…who is also a MONTEREY radio alumni.”

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

“Star 102.3” needs serious help. Hopefully they’ll give Maverick some programming duties too. For the last few years it’s been a question of whether it’s an AC, Hot AC, or a Bob/Jack.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Yes, the station needs serious help! It should be a pure Hot AC format, which would mean doing away with the John Tesh radio show, which plays Soft AC music. “Star 102.3” recently added Elvis Duran in the morning, which is syndicated for Hot AC and CHR stations. Elvis Duran originates from New York’s Z100.

Chico
    Participant

The John Tesh show doesn’t play any kind of music. It is a voicetrack program only…the music is up to the local programmer.

hwidsten
    Participant

Maverick may want to work with Al Scott again, but anyone who says anything positive about Cumulus right now is blowing smoke. Anything Clear Channel may have done to it’s employees is pale by example of what Cumulus has allegedly done and is continuing to do. They are in a lawsuit with some of them for back pay owed. I am told that experienced sales people are being treated poorly and then fired so commissions don’t have to be paid. Regardless of what you may hear, in my opinion, no one in their right mind should go to work for Cumulus.

paulwalker
    Participant

Chico is correct, Tesh allows for individual music programming. However, the style of the show best fits with mainstream and/or light AC, or Oldies.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

…anyone who says anything positive about Cumulus right now is probably happy to have employment.

Jobs are available in the overall job market and overall economy right now–for those willing to work for those companies. Many years ago, I was royally screwed, and was young enough that if I quit and/or complained I would’ve been virtually unemployable. I don’t like what’s going on right now either, however we’re in a total employer’s market.

Chico
    Participant

Thanks, Paul- you are right- the Tesh show would work best on those mellower formats. He is on evenings here in Seattle on Star 101.5, though how one would characterize Star is a matter of some debate. Hot AC/ Personality would be close. The Tesh show doesn’t quite fit the music up here, but it’s not too far off the mark, either.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Star 102.3 uses the John Tesh satellite feed which features Soft AC music programmed by the syndicator. If Cumulus was smart, they would use the voice-tracked option, and program their own Hot AC music into the show.

the_radio_guy
    Participant

Eugene had a nice little DX window (5/4) between 9 and 10 PM. FM stations from Albuquerque, Farmington, and Gallup were booming in with great clarity.

semoochie
    Participant

KSHL’s application to move to the Eugene area has been approved. It’s a Class C3, similar to 95.3 and licensed to Coburg.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KKNU PD Jim Davis Programming Remotely Starting Friday

McKENZIE RIVER BROADCASTING Country KKNU/EUGENE, OR PD JIM DAVIS tells ALL ACCESS that as of FRIDAY (6/4) he will be handling programming for KKNU remotely from EATONVILLE, WA, while assisting his girlfriend ROXANNE BENNETT in recovering from double knee replacement surgery.

JIM can be reached at his usual e-mail at jim@kknu.fm. until he returns to EUGENE on JULY 6th.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

DOUBLE knee replacement surgery? Yikes! I helped my wife when she recovered from one…that was plenty! Good luck and Godspeed to both Jim and Roxanne…

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FCC Fines

LANE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT has been fined $500 by the FCC for a late license renewal application and unauthorized operation of FM translator K2121BP/FLORENCE, OR. The licensee told the Commission it inadvertently failed to file the application with the renewal application for its KRVM/EUGENE.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KKNU PD Jim Davis Doing Well After Surgery

ALL ACCESS sends well wishes to McKENZIE RIVER BROADCASTING Country KKNU/EUGENE, OR PD JIM DAVIS who has unexpected gall bladder surgery on WEDNESDAY (7/21). DAVIS is currently recovering at home and says he is doing much better.

Send him get well notes at jim@kknu.fm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 747 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.