Epic Portland Snow!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

paulwalker
    Participant

Wow, just hearing about this…looks like PDX getting crushed by half foot of snow, or more. How are you dealing? Seems to be a narrow band, still dry to the north, and rain to the south. What a weird setup.

Andrew
    Participant

It is weird. Got about four inches in inner NE Portland. I didn’t think we were supposed to get anything til tomorrow and not much.

It’s a very wet, heavy snow. Also very bright outside.

Chris_taylor
    Participant

Got 8 inches in our yard…not far from Andrew.

Our daughter was to arrive from her month long vacation in Trinidad this evening, but while geeking out on Flightradar.24.com, I saw her flight track north being diverted to Seattle where she is on the tarmac at this moment, in the plane, waiting for a place to deplane.

Working the internet and social media to find her a place to stay.

paulwalker
    Participant

Here is the text of the winter storm warning:

… WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST WEDNESDAY FOR THE GREATER PORTLAND METRO AREA… * TIMING… SNOW WILL CONTINUE… HEAVY AT TIMES… INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL TRANSITION TO SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. * SNOW LEVELS… DOWN TO THE VALLEY FLOOR. * MOST LIKELY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS… 4 TO 8 INCHES. THE HIGHEST TOTALS ARE EXPECTED IN THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE METRO… AND IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN. LOCATIONS NEAR THE EAST SLOPES OF THE COAST RANGE… INCLUDING FOREST GROVE AND BANKS COULD SEE LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. * WIND… EAST WINDS WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH IN AREAS THAT ARE INFLUENCED BY THE COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE LIKE GRESHAM… FAIRVIEW… AND PARKROSE. THE WINDS MAY RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AT TIMES. * IMPACTS… SNOW AND POSSIBLE BLOWING SNOW MAY RESULT IN EXTRA CHALLENGING DRIVING CONDITIONS DURING THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE. THIS WILL AFFECT I-5 AND I-205. PLEASE ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO TRAVEL… DRIVE SLOWLY… AND LEAVE PLENTY OF ROOM BETWEEN VEHICLES. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES… AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL… KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT… FOOD… AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. &&

Brianl
    Participant

I just woke up … To about a foot in my front yard in Scappose.

Gonna be an interesting drive into PDX.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Here in Sellwood about 6 – 8 inches and still coming down.

click for larger version

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This Snowstorm snuck up on us ALL! Reminds me of TRUMP!

skeptical
    Participant

For you aviators:

KUAO 110853Z AUTO 04011KT 1 1/2SM -SN BR BKN006 OVC009 00/M01 A2940 RMK AO2 SLP956 P0004 60020 I3000 T00001006 51012

(It’s IMC!)

🙂

edselehr
    Participant

Only a couple inches in lower Sandy, but coming down again lightly this morning, so might get an inch more. Surprised by how hard Portland was hit. Without a meltoff coming anytime soon, this could muck up Portland into the weekend.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When I left the office yesterday, the snow was just starting to stick to the pavement in Hillsboro. To my dismay, I found that our post office was closed!

Today, we have snow accumulation similar to what Andy experienced in Sellwood:

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

I have a hunch that too much snow piled up on KDZR 1640’s satellite dish. They are transmitting dead air now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.