Election May Be a Turning Point for Legal Marijuana

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Election May Be a Turning Point for Legal Marijuana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

In addition to California, Massachusetts and Maine both have legalization initiatives on the ballot next month that seem likely to pass. Arizona and Nevada are also voting on recreational marijuana, with polls showing Nevada voters evenly split.

The passage of recreational marijuana laws in Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington over the last four years may have unlocked the door toward eventual federal legalization. But a yes vote in California, which has an economy the size of a large industrial country’s, could blow the door open, experts say.

“If we’re successful, it’s the beginning of the end of the war on marijuana,” said Gavin Newsom, the lieutenant governor of California and a former mayor of San Francisco. “If California moves, it will put more pressure on Mexico and Latin America writ large to reignite a debate on legalization there.”

The market for both recreational and medicinal marijuana is projected to grow to $22 billion in four years from $7 billion this year if California says yes, according to projections by the Arcview Group, a company that links investors with cannabis companies.

“This is the vote heard round the world,” said Arcview’s chief executive, Troy Dayton. “What we’ve seen before has been tiny compared to what we are going to see in California.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/25/us/marijuana-legalization-ballot-measures.html

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Let’s hope so. The war on drugs has been an utter failure and ruinously expensive both in terms of lives and treasure. The legalization of marijuana is an important, first step.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The CA initiative is sure to pass, and when it does, look out. Changes are coming and it will economically benefit the west coast states.

The only question is will Congress or Hillary have the sack to be the agent of change?

Andy Brown
    Participant

The main reason Clinton needs to pay attention: no state legislature has legalized recreational marijuana. It has consistently happened through the will of voters at the ballot box.

Her position has already softened from where it started, but she’s smart enough to know that a lot has changed since Bill’s “didn’t inhale didn’t have ‘sex’ with that woman” days. The real unknown is just how far she can or will let the cause advance. She wants to have government research done but money for that has been difficult to come by in a Red Congress and may or may not be much different on this issue no matter who wins the Senate majority and what the House numbers end up at.

It will take more states legalizing it. Maybe in the next election cycle mid term another 5 states will vote and so forth and so on. When 40% of the states have legalized it and around another one fourth of states have medical use, the pressure on the feds will be close to critical mass. The only other possible scenario is that the big banks put more pressure on the government to accommodate them in some way to get the money flowing through their channels then big pharma does in opposition because of the all the losses building on pain meds already in the states where it is legal or medically legal.

As usual, you can follow the money.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In filling out my Washington County ballot yesterday, I noted that several cities have ballot measures regarding retail marijuana sales. Hillsboro and some other cities are proposing taxes. Gaston has a ballot measure to prohibit all retail sale (medical or not) within city limits.

I am taking the hypocritical stance of supporting the Hillsboro tax. Let me explain the “hypocritical” part–in 2008, we had Measure 50, which was a tobacco tax. I ran across a number of non-smokers who enthusiastically supported the tax, as some of the revenues were slated to go to children’s health programs. I enthusiastically opposed the tax, under the premise that it is hypocritical to come out specifically in favor of a tax that one won’t have to pay. My stance brought forth the opprobrium of some on this board, and I believe that it indirectly led to a girlfriend breaking up with me.

I do not intend on buying marijuana products, but a really old argument that I remember for legalization was that it was meant to create a source of tax revenue. This is why I voted YES on the Hillsboro tax measure. Please shoot your best flames my way, if you feel so inclined.

Vitalogy
    Participant

My city had 2 measures, one to ban retail sales and the other to impose a 3% tax. I voted NO on both of them. Put the MJ store next to the liquor store. It’s legal.

As for the tax, MJ is taxed at 17-25% depending. That’s enough tax in my book. Too many taxes will hurt the legal markets ability to compete with the black market.

Langston
    Participant

Here in Clackamas County the consumer is being urged to vote for gas and marijuana sales taxes while being urged to vote no for a corporate sales tax.

Brianl
    Participant

Columbia County has a 3% tax on marijuana (I voted yes). Scappoose also has two local measures on the ballot, one for city tax on pot and one to ban pot sales in the city limits. (yes, no)

Vitalogy
    Participant

Ban the sales and you shouldn’t benefit from the revenue.

I was recently at the coast and I noticed there were tons of options for MJ. And these are the counties that are against MJ? Hypocrisy.

MJ will become Oregon’s biggest cash crop within 10 years. MJ is our oil.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The Boston Archdiocese is giving $850,000 to oppose the Massachusetts ballot measure to legalize marijuana:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/10/28/archdiocese-spend-against-marijuana-legalization/qtCwVY4ViWjRFwOvcyveeK/story.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.