Election day disruption

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Langston
    Participant

When you have Putin, the FBI and the Alt-Right in the mix, anything can happen.

Amus
    Participant

Did you think you’d ever see the day when the FBI and Russia would be working in towards the same goal.

Langston
    Participant

J. Edgar must be attempting to roll over in his grave.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I don’t even know what to say anymore.

There’s now solid evidence a faction within the FBI has been leaking damaging (though largely inaccurate or out and out false) information about Hillary Clinton in an effort to throw the election to Donald Trump. Since when did one of or two major political parties decides that Vladmir Putin and Russia were great models to emulate?

The more that comes out about this, the more utterly insane and shockingly alarming it all looks. One prime example: the source a faction of the NYC FBI’s office (which is full of appointees of former Mayor Giuliani) for wanting to initiate investigations of the Clinton Campaign? That would be a loony, alt-right, and conspiracy theorizing book called “Clinton Cash” written and financed by the people behind Breitbart.com. The same Bretibart that manages the Trump campaign. Never mind that the allegations I the book have been thoroughly debunked, and are so nutty that when that NYC FBI faction attempted to persuade superiors to base an investigation from it, they were rebuffed as it’s both insane and completely prosecutable.

This is third world, banana republic shit going on right here in the United States.

Then we have the GOP and the Trump campaign actively cheer leading a foreign government’s direct intervention on their behalf to damage the candidacy of their domestic political opponent. That, against the back drop of the Trump campaigns information blackout concerning the actual extent of their connections with Russia.

Oh, and then we have the GOP actively attempting to subvert the very workings of our democracy as outlined in the U.S. Constitution. From continued voter suppression efforts, to promising further (and completely unprecedented) gridlock in defiance of majority public opinion, to threatening entirely partisan and entirely political activities designed to both damage and ultimately delegitimize the legitimate winner of a democratic election.

Then of course there’s the simply appalling rhetoric that comes from Trump and his supporters. Ignorant and violently angry would be the kindest way to characterize it. The videos of the crowds at Trump rallies have me both sickened and frightened.

I shy away from hyperbole as that’s the stock tool and trade of the right wing loons, but as this circus continues to barrel towards an increasingly uncertain conclusion I’ve beginning to believe the damage the Trump campaign and the GOP in general are doing to the United States may be irreparable.

I’m thoughtful, reasonable, educated, and well read. I’ve never seen anything like this before. It’s, literally, the kind of thing you see and read about “elections” in places that even six months ago we’d all be laughing at.

Amus
    Participant

J. Edgar must be attempting to roll over in his grave.

That’d put a twist in his pantyhose.

Slythe
    Participant

Ghouliani has been openly bragging that active FBI agents have been contacting him about what has been going on in the Bureau.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I generally ignore everything that happens in the last two weeks before a presidential election. I just don’t see enough history of last second crap really influencing the overwhelming majority of voters. Dubya’s drunk driving revelation included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_surprise

Langston
    Participant

Upon Hillary’s election more than one head is going to roll at the FBI.

Amus
    Participant

One of two things is going on with Comey.

1. He and the FBI are working actively to swing an election.

2. He has absolutely no control over his rank & file.

Either one is grounds for dismissal.

Langston
    Participant

Have to go with No. 2. Not 1 because he would not have made July announcement not to indict.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

According to the (very good) reporting I’ve read including Reuters, The Washington Post, and others it’s a whole lot of number 2 and a bit of number 1.

I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s the entire agency, or even Comey directly, but there’s certainly a faction within the agency (spearheaded by some members of the NYC office we’re hearing so much about now) that have chosen to defy the agencies own rules, protocols, and all precedent to actively engage in the political process.

This *should*, but of course will not, deeply alarm all Americans.

bookemdono
    Participant

Imagine the outcry if the FBI had been leaking info to the Clinton campaign 1 week prior to the election. No question there would be cries for Hillary’s immediate disqualification.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.