Election day disruption

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Amus
    Participant

I have a suspicion that last week’s DDoS was a trial run for something big on November8.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

What do you base that upon? Have you read something, somewhere? I haven’t come across that as of yet, which of course doesn’t mean it couldn’t be accurate.

Langston
    Participant

Google Vote Protectors.

Amus
    Participant

Not really based on anything I’ve read or heard anywhere.

Just a gut feeling I guess.

It’s generally assumed that Russia has been working to meddle in the process.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

About a week ago an expert who was interviewed on the KPAM morning news explained that because the American voting system is extremely decentralized, “rigging” the system in a way effective enough to affect the results of a Presidential election is extremely unlikely. I think that he might have even characterized Donald Trump’s accusations of a rigged system as “ridiculous.”

Taking the human factor into account, I wonder whether the motivations for cyber attacks are not to compromise any vote tallying systems or voting machines but rather to cause a panic.

It appears that we will have some voting box vigilantes this year. Vote Protectors’s founder, Roger Stone, has been very slippery when questioned about what the group’s volunteers will do at polling places. What I find frightening is the prospect that these volunteers will take matters into their own hands, at which point, the materials posted on the Vote Protectors Web site won’t really matter.

One vigilante not associated with Vote Protectors, Steve Webb of Ohio, made no bones about his election day plans, in a Boston Globe interview. “Well, it’s called racial profiling. Mexicans. Syrians. People who can’t speak American. I’m going to go right up behind them. I’ll do everything legally. I want to see if they are accountable. I’m not going to do anything illegal. I’m going to make them a little bit nervous.”

Amus
    Participant

Taking the human factor into account, I wonder whether the motivations for cyber attacks are not to compromise any vote tallying systems or voting machines but rather to cause a panic.

Yeah, agreed.
    I’m thinking of general disruptions aimed at undermining confidence in the system as opposed to affecting the outcome.

EDIT:

Heard a report just now where they are saying that last weeks DDoS does not appear to be state sponsored.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Donald Trump and the far right media have already done immeasurable damage to the levels of public confidence of our elections. And in turn, are undermining The U.S. Constitution and a functional Republic.

There’s, of course, no such thing as wide scale voter fraud. It’s a complete fabrication.

Yet for years the right has drummed up the levels of fear, hysteria, misinformation on this subject to the point that the denizens of the conservative bubble are no longer able to distinguish between objective fact based reality and partisan, ideologically derived propaganda.

The rigged talk is utter nonsense. It’s absurd for almost too many reasons to list and is completely without factual support or merit.

The most disgusting part is that the RNC and the vast majority of their elected officials know every well that it’s absurd, yet have no ethical issues with allowing the base to believe such stupidity if it can help them politically in the short term. They just never expected someone like Trump to cease the dog whistling and instead grab a microphone and commence shouting. The whole thing has blown up in their face and our country is the poorer for it.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“yet have no ethical issues with allowing the base to believe such stupidity if it can help them politically in the short term.”

The GOP in the last 50 years has had no ethics except a form of slash and burn politics, so one should not expect them to have issues over the stupidity of their base because it is that gullibility that they have counted on.

The drumpf disaster’s actual destructive power on said party is really at this moment an unknown. After the October surprise of pussy grabbing video statements and the November mandate by the nation which is most assured, the GOP will only then be able to assess the damage.

I believe this bodes badly for GOP presidential nomination primaries in the near future. I believe that drumpf’s no holds barred approach in the primaries will be copied by some possibly many in the next go around. Since no politician is squeaky clean and based on drumpf’s success, why wouldn’t they try to slash and burn their way to the nomination. Of course, they better protect their skeletons in the closet because no piece of information can really be kept secret anymore.

Meanwhile here in PDXradio land, rest assured that baconboy and dorkma will return after January with their midterm cheerleading so if the Democrats win the Senate and compromise the GOP majority in the House, how far can they get in two years and which party will prevail in the midterm.

Zappa: Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex

Speedy Keen: Life is a game you fly a paper plane there is no end.

Amus
    Participant
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Russia is 100% behind this BS. Why does Russia want Trump elected so bad?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fbi-examining-fake-documents-targeting-clinton-campaign-sources/ar-AAjRZyS?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

And since when is the GOP on the same page as Putin and Russia?

edselehr
    Participant

Vit, the GOP sells its soul on a daily basis for political power. What do you expect?

Brianl
    Participant

Putin can use Trump as a puppet, and he knows it. I don’t trust Putin one iota, but the man is pretty damn bright and sees a total opportunity here.

bookemdono
    Participant

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-russia-hillary-clinton-united-states-europe-516895

Officials in Western Europe say they are dismayed that they now feel compelled to gather intelligence on a man who could be the next president of the United States but believe they have no choice. Moscow is seen as a direct threat to their interests—both in its aggressive efforts to reshape global alliances and for its power to damage Western Europe, which obtains almost 40 percent of its natural gas from Russia. Should the United States, the last remaining superpower, tilt its policies away from NATO to the benefit of Russia, the alliance between America and Western Europe could be transformed in unprecedented ways. And so, for perhaps the first time since World War II, countries in Western Europe fear that the American election, should Trump win, could trigger events that imperil their national security and do potentially irreparable harm to the alliances that have kept the continent safe for decades.

Langston
    Participant

Don’t be surprised if prior to the election there is a terrorist attack, either domestic or international, that Trump can feed off.

Amus
    Participant

Hadn’t thought of that.

Thanks a lot!

If there is, odds are it will be domestic.

As we continue down the road to 3rd world status.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.