EAS Fail (again)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    radiogeek
    Participant

At 8:28am today I was in the car and OPB 91.5 started an EAS event. I don’t know if it was a test, or an actual warning as all that happened over two minutes was random sounding of individual tones (not in the correct sequence), and absolutely no voice either live or recorded came on air.

I guess we had an “upgrade” to software again.

jr_tech
    Participant

KOAC AM 550 was transmitting the same garbage. 🙁

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

My cell phone says it was a Amber Alert in Spokane.

lastday
    Participant

KRVM had two EAS events this morning, both regarding a child abduction AMBER Alert in Spokane. They came through very clearly on both the main program and on HD2 a minute or so later. The speaking voice was very robotic but intelligible.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

In the Hillsboro Costco parking lot, I tuned in 530 kHz, and I heard a woman’s voice announcing the Amber alert on WPVS690.

lastday
    Participant

Apparently there was a nationwide EAS test yesterday (Aug. 7th). An east coast acquaintance says it ran ok on FM stations in his area, but not on any AM stations that he sampled. ?

msndrspdx
    Participant

Indeed there was a national EBS test. According to a statement posted on Facebook by the FCC the day before, this test was based on the assumption that all Wi-Fi and Internet connections would be offline nationwide, so the test went radio and TV (and cable/satellite) at 11:20 AM PT. I went to MSNBC to see how this one would work. Surprisingly, there was no reference to this event on air, not even a crawl! They were in the middle of an interview coming from one of the anti-Trump rallies in El Paso when the incue tones sounded. Comcast switched to the EAS graphic like the one usually seen during the required monthly test. White text on a blue background. The text, in English and Spanish, listed the alert area as “United States of America and Washington, DC.” (Interesting that DC was listed separately.) Two pages of text in English, one in Spanish. No voice overs at all – none. The test was listed as originating from DC. The graphics stayed on screen for perhaps 30-40 seconds. Then the outcue tones were heard; they sounded rushed to me, like somebody was tapping the button fast several times. Then the screen went black for another 15-20 seconds before Comcast kicked back in and rejoined MSNBC (and the El Paso interview) in progress. In other words, MSNBC acted like everything was normal and didn’t acknowledge the interruption at all. The fact that the voice over wasn’t heard means that this national test, like the last one, was an utter failure. Did anyone else notice a station warning viewers in advance of the test? Did viewers on other channels hear the voice over while others heard nothing at all? And what about radio stations? Did they get the voice over, or dead air?

Notalent
    Participant

I heard yesterdays test in Seattle… The audio was horrendous, the voice barely audible. It sounded like it had been through at least six repeaters. The voice did say it was a “National” test of the EAS.

lastday
    Participant

East coast guy caught this in his car:

radiogeek
    Participant

I heard the test on 91.5 OPB, it happened twice. The second test happened seconds after the ending tones and was identical so far as I could tell. I didn’t listen with a critical ear for audio quality, it was good enough.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Here is the audio that aired on KBPS on 8/7/2019. Only aired once on KBPS.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iyhqlygmkl236yf/2019_08_07_KBPS_Air_11-00.mp3/file

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.