Earliest KISN Air Checks Ever & More

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Earliest KISN Air Checks Ever & More

Tagged: , , , , , ,

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

msndrspdx
    Participant

Isaac Hayes’ version of “Walk On By” (a Bachrach/David classic) comes originally from the album “Hot Buttered Soul,” which has always been a fave of mine. It was first issued on Enterprise (Dist. originally by Stax) in 1969 or so. Stax wax later picked up by Fantasy, which is now Fantasy/Concord. Fantasy/Concord now has it on CD, which came out just a couple of years ago. My favorite cut on that album is called “Hyperbolicsyballicsesquedalymistic,” a title which took up three lines of type on the LP label! One of Isaac’s true classics!

Best, M. 8)

semoochie
    Participant

I never heard of anyone on Fantasy Records, other than CCR.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Fantasy picked up the Stax catalog in the late 1980’s, and Concord, in turn, picked up Fantasy and Stax just 2 or 3 years ago. Fantasy also owns the rights to several jazz albums featuring the likes of Bob Brookmeyer and similiar acts from the early ’60s that appeared on labels like Prestige which Concord also acquired when they picked up Fantasy.

Best, M. 8)

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Fantasy picked up the Stax catalog in the late 1980’s,”

1977 to be exact. I was still working on the air and remember reading that news.

http://tinyurl.com/3o7mbwx

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Betty Everett, Blackbyrds, Dave Brubeck & Vince Guaraldi all recorded for Fantasy Records.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Isaac Hayes’ “hot Buttered Soul” album also contains a little piece of audio dynamite in the form of his version of “By the Time I Get to Phoenix,” which had been a monster hit for Glen Campbell not too long before “HB Soul” came out. What Mr. Hayes does with this song is one of the most amazing recordings I’ve ever heard…and worth a listen.

Best, M. 8)

msndrspdx
    Participant

Right, Craig. Vince’s soundtrack album to “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” a classic in itself, was reissued by Fantasy last year. I have a copy of that CD on my shelf of holiday albums. You can’t help but smile when you listen to that one. An all-time holiday-album classic! Best, M. 8)

Waynes World
    Participant

So did Creedence

dhdavid29
    Participant

I’ve been searching everywhere for years trying to find the beer jingle from 1965. Went something like “Let’s Have A Heidelberg Beer Right Now, A Hardy Heidelberg……..”. Was supposed to sound like a party. It only aired for a few months. Craig, I’m hoping you may remember it. We used to cruise Yaws and Gene Leader was on KISN at the time and would joke it was the most requested song, even though it was an ad. Thanks, Dave

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Dave: Sorry I don’t. Many of the radio commercials also played on TV, so I checked youtube but didn’t see anything from the 1960’s.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.