Earliest KISN Air Checks Ever & More

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Earliest KISN Air Checks Ever & More

Tagged: , , , , , ,

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Stoner sent me this link to the earliest KISN air checks I’ve ever heard. From September 1959 you’ll hear Hal Raymond & Tom Murphy before “Tiger” was added. Plus 1959 news from Jon Doe & Loren Hassett. You’ll also hear 1969 Pat Pattee, 1972 David Stone, 1976 Chuck Weber & Uncle Don Wright. Also check out the “Stereo” KISN Jingle package. Don’t forget to scroll down the page to checkout the “KEX Top Tunes of the Week” survey from 1959 & the “KEX Komers”. See the “KEX Solid 7” DJ’s. Checkout the KFRC page and the Home page, where you’ll find KGW air checks. Plus more.

http://radiodiscjockey.homestead.com/KISN.html

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Oh, great airchecks! Hal Raymond in ’59: “Summer Kisn time, 12 smacks til eight”. He was quite the ralpher. And a spot for a place on “805 SE Hawthorne Booooleevard in Portland”. Ah, historical treasures these are…

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thank you Stoner and Craig! I downloaded all of the airchecks and am listening to them as I work.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Does anybody know, what is that jet song near the end of the Tom Murphy KJR 1969 aircheck?

kennewickman
    Participant

ya booolevard and ,,,,when they said Oregon…they rolled the Rs

ORRRRRegon….that was john Doe in the know…Cliff Zauner used to do that too…

ya and the time…smootches for mins up the clock from 31 to 59 and they said smacks down the clock from 01 to 29….ah yes…they format…even the time was in the format clock wheel then…

I KISN jet stream news…I heard that once…jet stream news…LOL…and updated RADAR Weather…

kennewickman
    Participant

That ” jet song’ you heard sounds to me like one of those Imagers they used to have for occasional play , especially ahead of a newcast or catching an acutallity ..where your lead in or backtime was indeterminate..

It was all about ” when the weekend is over”” and you catch a jet …blah blah …sounds like a KJR Seattle Boeing imager thing to me..

Seguedad
    Participant

Oh, lord, I had forgotten that FCC inspection thing that Chuck Weber did. I’m afraid I was the voice of the sleazy record executive. Typecast, even back then.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Alfredo: “Jet Song (When The Weekend’s Over)” I bought it. It was by The Group. Bell Records 822. On Billboard chart it didn’t do very well nationally making 112 on 11-29-69.

paulwalker
    Participant

This is a nice treasure trove of airchecking. There is far too much material to comment on in one post. But I listened to a couple of them.

Re: Hal Raymond KISN 1959. The year I was born. That, alone fascinates me. What a cool syle this guy had. The term, “more music, less yak” certainly predates the common liner “more music, less talk”. “You owe it to yourself” is still overused today, unfortunately. Cigerette commercials sound so odd today. “A sleak, new ’59 Rambler” sounds hilarious to me today.

Re: Tom Murphy KJR 1969. Wow, just ten years after the Hal Raymond aircheck, KJR was a different animal. You can hear a little Larry Lujack in Tom Murphy here, and why not, as Lujack had moved into the bigs just a couple years earlier from KJR. This aircheck sounds like it was dx’d from somewhere outside Seattle, but that just adds to the flavor, IMO. Tom was great at using localisms. I also noted that most of the request lines were still alphabet pre-fixed, except for their main number 421-9290. This must have been right about the time alphabet prefixes were going to the grave. The “421” prefix remained with Seattle radio stations for decades after. This ‘check of Murphy was indeed a good representation of what KJR was during this era, a personality-driven top40. KING-AM attacked them with “more music” just two years later.

Look forward to listening to the other airchecks you offered here.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was a bit surprised by the 1970s KISN airchecks and the 1969 KJR aircheck in how these stations had considerably changed their sounds from the classic AM Top-40 sound of the early and mid 1960s. It seems like in just a few years, the DJs had become considerably less hyper, there were fewer jingles and production elements, and the mic was not being cracked in between each and every record.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yes, Alfredo, there was a major sound change from 1959 to 1969 for most stations. I think the tone had changed during this era, from “yelling”, to almost “whispering”. Although the “yelling” returned in the 70’s, so who knows. Some say, we are back in a “whispering” tone here in 2011. Not so much noticed on the radio, but in corporate logos and websites. ( think a lot of this has to do with what kind of social/political situations are going on at the time, not sure but when we are in good times we hear more yelling )

paulwalker
    Participant

You have to toggle way down, but there is an interesting aircheck of the late Mike Phillips on KFRC, circa 1970. What a great talent, and glad he was able to influence radio during a couple of different eras in Portland.

Waynes World
    Participant

That was great Stoner. the 1962 show sounded a bit fuzzy but the 59 version was great! I didn’t know there was a newsguy before Bill Howlett

Alfredo_T
    Participant

One of the 1969 airchecks embarrassed me with my (Gen-X centric) ignorance. The aircheck contained a cover of the song “Walk on By,” performed by Isaac Hayes. I had never heard the Hayes version of this song before; I had only heard a sample of the first few bars of the song (including the distinctive guitar riff and the voices that sing something that sounds like like “Car Wash”) used by the band Hooverphonic in their record “2Wicky” in 1996. Before I bought the Hooverphonic album a few months ago, I didn’t realize that their song used a sample from a previous recording. Before I heard the aforementioned aircheck, I didn’t realize how much of the song Hooverphonic had ripped off!!! I f@(<!#& hate sampling!!!!! It is plagiarism.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I do not like to talk to myself on this forum, but I just can’t help but re-iterate that I’ve listened to the 1969 Pat Patee aircheck several times over, and I absolutely love it! I especially love the soul sounds of the songs by Friends of Distinction and Isaac Hayes. I almost think that I regret not having lived through that era (I was born five years later).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.