DXing Portland FM HD from the coast

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio DXing Portland FM HD from the coast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

As I have mentioned in the past, out here on the North Coast (Seaside-Warrenton), I get only a handful of FM stations that will pop into HD. KJR FM 95.7 and KPMK-93.3 Seattle. They are the best. KJR may even be the strongest. Besides that I get KQOC 88.1 Gleneden Beach also in HD. Many of the rest come and go from Seattle. I have never gotten anything to lock from the Portland area in HD. 107.5 would flash in HD, but never lock, until a while back when I got a lock. It did not last. A few days ago, I raised my FM6 another 5 feet to 20 feet. I am now getting Eugene well (93.3 and 99.1), and tonight I turned the FM6 around to the SE, and I was surprised to find not only 107.5 to lock and also 106.7, 103.3. 100.3 as well as 97.9. Got HD on 97.9, but no sub channels found. Interesting. But the rest of the Portland stations, nothing else even trying to lock. The mountains are tougher to get through and HD does not like multipath. Digital TV doesn’t either. I am getting a new Korner i9.2 FM yagi from Germany next month since FM Yagis of bigger size are hard to come by. This one has about 2 DB gain better and better F/B. So it should be interesting. Not as much forward gain as the Windgard 6065, but will take our winds better too. I will still take it down when we have any monster storm, as I do with the FM6.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just got KGON 92.3 in HD, but it pops in and out in HD.

jr_tech
    Participant

Oddly, from Hillsboro, KMUN reception is pretty weak tonight, but KLCC Eugene is locking into HD reasonably well, which is rare.

mwdxer1
    Participant

There is no AM or FM HD on the North Coast. Newport/Lincoln City has a couple. I don’t think Longview has any HD either. I get them strong enough, if there was any, I would get it. Centralia has a couple and I think there may be one in the Aberdeen area on FM. I have never detected any FM HD hash here either. Apparently the noise does not get out as well as it does on AM. I have detected AM hash Coast to Coast when conditions are good. KMUN is up on Megler in SW WA and really gets out well. Even their other station on 90.9 with 1.9 KW gets out well too. A great location for FM & TV towers. The translators are up in the same area. About 12 miles from me.Do you get any other North Coast FM’s? we have a new lp one, a translator on 106.3 relaying KVAS 1230. Run 250w. Soon KSWB Seaside is also getting an FM translator.

Patrick

jr_tech
    Participant

“Do you get any other North Coast FM’s?”

For sure, not as many as I once could. We now have prettymuch a full house in the Portland region, with many translators, LPFMs and digital carriers filling in most of the channels. For example, we have a fairly new move-in on 106.3 which covers up that new KVAS translator, no mater how carefully the APS 9 is pointed. The Seaside country station on 98.1 at one time caused interference to Classical KING, but both are now covered up by 97.9 KLVP and its digital carriers (indeed there are no sub channels on 97.9, as you mentioned). Tillamooks 94.1 at one time was quite strong in Hillsboro, but it got moved to the mt Hood site. KTCB 89.5 is covered most of the time now by KPFR, also at the mt Hood site. KQOC is coming in fairly well today, so there must be a little tropo enhancement in that direction. 😊

jr

update: indeed some enhancement may be occurring:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_wam.html

Chico
    Participant

KUKN Longview at 105.5 does broadcast in HD- that’s how they feed a second channel translator at 101.5- but given the main analog signal is only 700 watts that may not be enough digital signal for you to get a lock on the coast.

mwdxer1
    Participant

If KUKN is only running 700w, that means the IBOC/HD signal would only be running 1% or is it 3%? Anyway, lp at 7-21 watts. I get about 2 bars on the Sony. That would not be enough to even get an HD signal that wouldn’t lock, I would guess. Maybe there are other HD signals out there closer in I do not know about as the signal is too weak. I know the CEs around here have not been interested in it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.