drumpf will soon be gone but

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

mwdxer1
    Participant

With how bad this administration has been. Nixon & Reagan would to rolling over in their graves….A lot of the country still will be voting for Trump unfortunately. The World has changed. Even if Biden wins, there will be a lot unhappy violent people. It is a concern. Most Americans I talk to are very worried that our country will not survive if we stay on this same track.

Andrew
    Participant

Paul, nothing is “inevitable.” But it sure seems like Biden is poised to win easily, maybe even in a landslide.

If the huge poll leads (larger than Hillary’s in 2016) don’t sway you, consider the fact that incumbent presidents always lose re-election when the country is doing terribly – like in 1992, 1980, 1932. Covid is dominating the news cycles, no matter what Trump does. People always blame the incumbent for the nation’s problems even if he didn’t cause them. But overall surveys show people give Trump terrible marks for his handling of Covid. And Covid is all people are talking about, as the third wave builds and cases surge in red states.

The Trump campaign was banking on two things to win re-election: a declining Covid problem with a surging economy and the ability to change the subject: to talk about “looting” and urban violence and to talk about Hunter Biden. It just hasn’t worked. Whatever Trump has thrown at the wall against Biden hasn’t stuck – people just don’t hate Joe Biden the way some did Hillary Clinton.

In Bob Woodward’s book, Trump bragged about how great the jobs report and the economy would be doing by October. “You just wait,” he said – it will be like nothing we’ve ever seen. He was dead wrong. If he had been right, and the economy had improved and Covid seemed to be going away, things might be different.

Republicans are not just publicly abandoning Trump, they are openly embracing Biden. How many Democrats are embracing Trump? Have you seen Cindy McCain’s Biden ad? She has basically summoned John from the grave to endorse Biden – it’s very powerful.

The wheels are falling off the Trump campaign – just look at how he’s flailing. And the campaign is spending time in RED STATES like Georgia, Iowa, and Arizona that he won easily in 2016. They know he’s in deep trouble.

Andrew
    Participant

Here’s a prominent Republican pollster who sure sounds like he thinks Trump is going to win, doesn’t he?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/521868-gop-pollster-luntz-blasts-trump-campaign-as-worst-hes-ever-seen

“Speaking at a briefing for the British strategic advising company Global Counsel, Luntz said Trump’s advisers have “their heads up their asses” if they think Hunter Biden will be a winning issue for them.

“I’ve never seen a campaign more mis-calibrated than the Trump campaign. Frankly, his staff ought to be brought up on charges of political malpractice,” Luntz said.”

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Andrew, I don’t think that many Democrats and certainly not many Republicans are excited about Biden. What they’re basing their choice on is they don’t like Trump even a little bit, some have a lot of hate going.

I would join those who think Biden will take the election by a comfortable margin, but he won’t have won it. Trump will have given it to him on a golden platter.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I’m excited about Joe Biden. I know he will surround himself with much better people and pursue much better policies and appoint much better judges.

As it stands today, it’s looking like it’s going to be a tough night if you’re a Trump loving conservative. I think Biden is going to flip Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Arizona, North Carolina, and Florida. I’m also thinking the popular vote margin could be over 10 million.

Andrew
    Participant

Deane, I like Joe Biden a lot. I’m not just holding my nose to vote for him like I would be if say Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren were the nominee, just to vote against Trump.

Before Covid, Biden wasn’t my first choice to be the nominee – but he was my first choice to actually BE president. I thought someone like Buttigieg or Klobuchar would bring a bit of fresh energy the Democrats needed to counter Trump. But it’s always been clear to me that Biden is by far the most qualified of all of the candidates running in 2020 to actually hold the office now.

“Excited” about Biden? No, but I reject the premise that one needs to be “excited” about the president. We need someone who is competent and can do the job well, not be some sort of messiah like Sanders or Trump supporters seem to want. Biden fits the bill for me – I think he’ll do a good job in tough circumstances. The next four years are going to be hard for any president.

radiogeek
    Participant

Andrew beat me to most of what I would say.

I yearn for the day when political choices are not “like or dislike”. This isn’t high school anymore, there are actual consequences.

Hillary would have been brilliantly competent, but not inspiring. I don’t need inspiring. I need solid competence and stability.

Trump has virtually nothing to offer but lawlessness, crudeness, ailienation of allies, destruction of alliances, being hostage to his personal debt, a trail of business failures as a prelude to his inability to do anything for the economy of those he fooled into voting for him. The only thing he had going for him was that he was on TV for a few years.

God, this is the same as Boris Johnson. No qualifications, but we saw him on TV.

Is this really the best that democracy can provide?

Give me competence and boring but solid character. PLEASE.

Ed

Deane Johnson
    Participant

So, Andrew, I don’t think we disagree much on the subject.

He has some assets to bring to the table. He’s got a lot of experience. He doesn’t have much in the way of bad relations with anyone in Congress.

Given the serious nature of the world right now, he’ll get a lot of cooperation from Congress on what he wants to do. He and Congress will work as a team on getting what appears to be the right things into place.

He will not bring any stroke of genious to the table, however.

Just for the record, I voted for Trump. When Biden wins, I’ll breath a sigh of relief and mentally move on to other things in my life. I’ve had enough of the political scene.

paulwalker
    Participant

The polls show the race tightening. Same scenario as ‘16. The polls and media reflecting one thing and the voters reflecting something quite different. I am very afraid.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t think that many people actually “hate” Trump. It isn’t in our nature. We fear him, based on what he has already done, combined with the natural progression of things.

Andrew
    Participant

Paul: “The polls show the race tightening. Same scenario as ‘16.”

No, it is not the same scenario as 2016. The polls tighten near the election in every presidential race.

Since you brought it up, here’s a story from exactly twelve years ago from CNN:

“Poll shows presidential race may be tightening”

https://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/20/cnn.poll/index.html

“With two weeks and one day until Election Day, a new national poll of likely voters suggests the race for the White House may be tightening up. Sen. Barack Obama holds a five-point advantage in a new CNN poll, down from eight points.”

Here’s one from October 12, 2012:

“Polls Show Tightening US Presidential Race”

https://www.voanews.com/usa/polls-show-tightening-us-presidential-race

“The latest polls from Gallup and Pew Research show Romney pulling into a slight lead over President Obama with less than a month to go until Election Day.

Pollster Scott Rasmussen’s latest surveys also show Romney gaining after trailing the president for several weeks. His latest poll has the race tied at 48 percent each.

“It has been close for a very long time and in the last week things have gotten a little bit better for Governor Romney,” said Rasmussen. ”

radiogeek
    Participant

“Just for the record, I voted for Trump. When Biden wins, I’ll breath a sigh of relief and mentally move on to other things in my life.”

Really?

Reminds me of Missing. Both of you would cut your nose off to spite your face.

(sound of Ed banging his head against wall)

Andrew
    Participant

I pointed out some of the big differences between 2016 and 2020 above. E.g. Clinton was not above 50% in most polls in 2016, because there were a lot more undecided voters at this point in 2016 – and partly thanks to the “Comey October Surprise,” they broke mostly for Trump.

There just aren’t as many undecided voters this year to give Trump some way to make up his deficits. People who have already made up their minds would have to switch to him from Biden.

Vitalogy
    Participant

People that vote for Trump are okay with racism providing it works out for them. Definitely a generational thing, but luckily that generation will be gone soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.