drumpf will soon be gone but

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    radiogeek
    Participant

Time for Ed to get some reading about the election process in Congress (where the actual election happens).

Turns out the process for the combined session to open and read the votes from each state’s electors is governed by 3US$15 or something like that. Pence will preside, and each state’s results are opened and announced by clerks. If one senator and one congressperson object for cause that the results are invalid, then the House and Senate stop … separate, and hold a fixed length hearing on that state alone. It takes both houses to agree the electoral votes from that state are bad to toss them out, a tie means the votes are valid.

So, we can go state by state and have everything objected to but in the final analysis the Senate and House are in different hands so the results reported by the states will likely stand. If Biden has 270 or more, this will eventually lead to his election. The only way the House decides is if no one gets 270.

So, the real fight by the GOP will be to prevent the states from sending their results in the first place, ala Bush v Gore in Florida. Once each state certifies and sends the electoral votes to Congress, there isn’t much Trump/Pence can do unless they try to get SCOTUS to rule that the procedure in US Law is unconstitutional.

What a cluster fuck December will be.

Ed

radiogeek
    Participant

BTW,

My inner geek sort of enjoys having a new civics lesson over all this and reading and trying to understand the relevant laws and articles. This reminds me of when Nixon was about to be impeached. I was a high school student taking a US Govt and Civics class, so the teacher was thrilled that a lesson plan appeared daily in the newspaper.

Where were you during Watergate? When did you come to think Tricky Dick would go down?

Ed

Brianl
    Participant

“Where were you during Watergate? When did you come to think Tricky Dick would go down?”

I was born about three months after the Watergate break-ins, so it was obviously not fresh on my mind.

That being said, I’ve done a LOT of studying on Nixon. It wasn’t the crime itself that did him in, it was the cover-up. And that could well also be the case with Trump.

paulwalker
    Participant

In 73 I was in the 9th grade at Roosevelt-M (Roosevelt in Seattle where the 9th grade was housed down the street at the old Marshall jr high). I was just old enough to have a basic understanding of what was going on. The following summer my memory of Nixon’s resignation is clear as a bell. It was a warm summer evening and we had family friends over. I recall the parents very somber but us teens were laughing and celebrating, not sure why, perhaps just being 15 I guess.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Nixon resigned on a Thursday (8-8-74) at noon, Eastern time. I was doing the all nighter at WSAN so I was home fast asleep. When I awoke, I had no TV or table radio so when I showed up at work is when I found out. As he often did, Dave Foxx hadn’t found the time to clear the AP machine, so since I was a little early to work, I started cleaning up the mess of paper that was overflowing the area behind the machine where it collected. That’s when I saw the news. Lines of asterisks and text: Nixon resigns. Followed by more lines of asterisks and: Nixon resigns the presidency. More asterisks and then more text, each iteration adding a phrase or sentence to the story. Wow, I thought, and went into the CR and asked Dave WTF? He said the AP machine has been ringing off the hook. I’ve been ignoring it he said. Nixon finally resigned he said. We both smiled and gave it a thumbs up. I kept a piece of that AP machine feed that said “Nixon resigns” for years. I lost it when my home was burglarized in the 80’s (I kept it with my rock concert ticket stubs in a box labeled STASH). The burglar probably thought there was drugs in it. Remind me some time and I’ll tell you about the time the AP machine, left uncleared for Dave’s entire shift, caught fire while I was on the air.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Back on topic.

Here’s a really good explanation why the POTUS has slipped so far down in the polls from of all publications, Scientific American. The whole article is short and I recommend reading it in its entirety.

The gradual decline in the Trump’s approval rating started after a number of controversial statements, including but not limited to advocating for an unproved drug, suggesting the value of taking a disinfectant shot and neglecting experts opinions. All these incidents might have been fine and could have been attributed to the president not being a medical expert. His constant celebration of the stock market, tweeting of his increasing approval rating and statements inciting the public to disregard shelter-in-place orders in the midst of a pandemic in which tens of thousands of Americans have died, however, made it hard to deny that his actions seem to be driven more by self-interest—specifically, his desire to get reelected—than by a leader’s sense of responsibility for keeping citizens safe and informed. The blatant promotion of self-interest appears to be a key factor behind the decline in Trump’s popularity when other leaders in the world are continuing to enjoy healthy boosts in popularity.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-trumps-popularity-surge-faded-so-quickly/

Andrew
    Participant

It’s all much simpler than that: people are freaked out of Covid, and Trump has done a shitty job managing it. Voters tend to blame the president when things are going bad in the country, even if not completely his fault (he didn’t cause Covid, would have been a mess no matter who was president, just worse thanks to him). It’s obvious even to many Republicans how Trump has done an awful job with Covid and at the same time not shown a hint of empathy for the people who died or their families.

Bob
    Participant

Help me to understand.

If Trump is so awful, why the disparate turnout for Biden vs. Trump rallies?

And what is everyone going to do if he wins?

paulwalker
    Participant

Ok I will take a shot here.

Trump rallies do not represent the total voting population by a long shot. They are publicity stunts that Trump has been doing for decades.

The actual voting population do not attend rally’s. They actually stop and think, which most Trump supporters can not relate to.

Andrew
    Participant

Bob: “If Trump is so awful, why the disparate turnout for Biden vs. Trump rallies?”

I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you under the impression that Biden is trying to hold large in-person rallies like Trump is but people just aren’t showing up?

Do you not understand that Biden’s campaign is intentionally not even trying to hold these dangerous rallies that put people’s health and lives at risk?

Vitalogy
    Participant

Dear Bob, pro wrestling appears to have disparate turnout as well if crowd size is your metric.

Meanwhile the majority of people think pro wrestling is fake, lame, and targeted to the lowest denominator possible.

Sound familiar?

radiogeek
    Participant

Dear “Bob”,

Trump is a reality show President. Just like he is a reality show business man, and a reality show millionaire. If you think he’s competent at either, then you most likely think that The Bachelor shows a healthy and positive way to date and choose a life partner (gag).

All of Trump is proving to be fake. For heaven’s sake, we even had to learn from Stormy Daniels the size of his private parts aren’t what he told us during the debates last year (gag).

You can fool all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Trump is a media falsehood. Some will go to their graves thinking he was a great President. Eventually Americans as a whole understand the Emperor has no clothes.

Ed

Bob
    Participant

So if I understand, then back when Barack Obama had large crowds, that wasn’t similar to this election?

No one answered what they will do if Trump wins.

radiogeek
    Participant

Oh Bob, Bob, Bob …

If only the election were won by the TV images manipulated by the campaigns. I’m sure crowd size is still a sore spot with Donald …

Donald is holding mass rallies without social distancing, often in violation of state or local regulations. Biden gives a shit about COVID-19 and is having smaller events that comply with local laws and are socially distanced. Yup, what is on TV looks big for Trump and smaller for Biden. DUH.

Let’s see now. If we go only by rally size, the Bernie Sanders rally last cycle in PDX that overflowed the Rose Arena into the parking lot was I’m sure much bigger than any Trump rally in the entire Western USA this year. Did Bernie become President?

Get real, get a life. This will be decided by the court challenges and voter suppression in eight states. Nothing else is relevant.

Ed

BTW, re your trolling question. Are you trying to suggest violence is the answer? I can’t think of a less patriotic thing to say. What will YOU do if TRUMP is the loser?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by radiogeek.
    Andy Brown
    Participant

There is no longer much of an “if” about the outcome on Election Day. drumpf’s toast. If he succeeds in stealing the election in the SCOTUS, Democracy is dead. If the will of the people is overridden, there will be hell to pay.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.