drumpf will soon be gone but

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

I don’t think I was one who threatened to move to Canada if Trump won the first time. But I have semi-seriously considered moving out of the US. It’s not just Trump I’m worried about: it’s the fact that tens of millions of people support him. And honestly, the reaction on the left – the Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez faction – doesn’t exactly inspire me. I think a Biden election might stop the bleeding for now but don’t think it’s going to solve the country’s problems.

I’m just not sure where I’d go. I might head to Europe instead of staying in North America, if I were going to go anywhere, but I’m not sure how practical that is.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

I lot of the choice would depend on what makes you feel good. Life it too short not to be living it in a satisfied manner.

I would think the day to day lifestyle of the country would carrry a lot of weight in the decsion.

Living costs are, of course, a heavy portion of the decsion including income potential.

radiogeek
    Participant

Drumpf and the GOP won’t fight state by state, or be willing to accept any ruling in any state court.

Instead, they will get GOP Senators and Representatives to challenge the electoral results state by state in the session of the House in January. They are counting on total chaos in the House leading to a Supreme Court ruling who is President (which should not be constitutional at all) or a “throw to the House” lame duck session where the will of the people is overturned by the GOP delegations from fly over territory.

This all will be decided in the House in January if the asshole tries to stay in power. That won’t take a huge budget to pull off. Trump is absolutely determined to steal this election, the only question is if the GOP will continue to bow in submission. God help us.

Ed

Andrew
    Participant

Ed, Nancy Pelosi runs a tight ship in the House. Republicans aren’t going to be able to cause chaos in the House to prevent a Biden presidency, assuming Democrats retain control and she is still the Speaker. Look at how she ran the impeachment process. Whether or not you agree with the decision to impeach or how Democrats went about it, the process was run with a tight discipline. The same would surely happen again to choose the next president in January. Pelosi is not John Boehner.

Further, the Supreme Court has no role in choosing the president. In 2000, the Court stepped in before the electoral college process began to intervene in vote counting in Florida, and that was highly unusual. Once the process gets to the House on January 6, the judiciary system has zero role in anything. Look at the Constitution. The Congress has to approve the electors. If Democrats take over the Senate (maybe), then it’s all over with – if Biden gets 270 electoral votes, it’s done, just a formality.

Trump’s shot might be in preventing, through legal action, a few states from submitting their electors in time so that on January 6, neither candidate has 270 electoral votes. In that case, the House chooses the president and the Senate the VP. But the House vote is by state delegation. Currently Republicans control 26 state delegations, so if such a vote happened today, Republicans could re-install Trump. (Having the House choose Trump as president and the Senate choose Harris as VP is actually possible.)

Brianl
    Participant

Deane asked, “So, which of you posters are going to move to Canada in the event Trump gets re-elected???? Just wondering.”

I’ve been looking at different housing markets in Canada, to be honest. Even with our dollar going further up there, it’s way more expensive in most any Canadian market of any size.

Plus, right now, Canada doesn’t want us up there because we can’t get this crap under control.

The thought is squarely in my mind, and if Trump is successful at getting the SCOTUS to rule in his favor, we might well bounce. I have no desire to live in an autocratic, fascist regime.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

There’s one thing to consider and that’s Congress in the mix. Obviously the House will remain Democrat controlled no matter what. The Senate could very well end up with a Democrat majority.

A Democrat controlled Congress changes the equation for the POTUS. No need to get quotes from Allied Van Lines just yet.

radiogeek
    Participant

Andrew, you don’t get it.

Correct, the Supreme Court does not have jurisdiction. That didn’t keep it from ruling in Bush v Gore, stopping the vote recount, and screwing that up totally. Who is going to tell them they have no jurisdiction? They’re the highest court in the land. LMFAO.

The only reason there wasn’t a food fight in the Bush v Gore in Congress is … the proceedings are a joint proceeding and the President of the SENATE is in charge. Don’t you remember Gore announcing Bush had won? He decided to fall on his sword rather than risk a constitutional confrontation with the Supreme Court, and the makeup of Congress was similar to now where he would have lost anyway … even with a Dem majority. Multiple Democratic members rose to object to their state’s electors results and GORE would not recognize them. Do you think this time that PENCE would not recognize GOP members who want to dispute a Democratic win in Wisconsin or Florida?

Pelosi is shitting in her pants. Read the headlines.

Get real. This is going to be so absolutely fucking ugly that the first debate will look like a manners class.

Ed

Andrew
    Participant

No, Ed, YOU don’t “get it.”

I explained above why the Court was able to intervene in 2000 in Bush v. Gore. They got involved before the electoral college process started. (Given that Florida had a Republican governor and legislature in 2000, it was likely that had the Court not intervened to stop the vote counting, the Republicans would just have convened the Florida legislature and voted for a Republican slate of electors anyway. And Republicans controlled both houses of Congress then – Gore really had no shot.)

You’re saying that once Congress meets January that somehow the Supreme Court will intervene. There is no Constitutional basis for that at all, unlike in 2000, where in Bush v. Gore the Supreme Court overturned a state court ruling. The Supreme Court doesn’t just decide to rule on issues. Someone has to file a lawsuit in the lower courts and it has to work its way up, challenging a law or a lower court’s decision. That’s what happened in 2000.

The Constitution makes it clear what happens on January 6. The power resides with CONGRESS to decide the presidency, not the judiciary. The Supreme Court can strike down a law as unconstitutional or reverse a lower court ruling, but it can’t overrule Congress.

radiogeek
    Participant

Andrew, good clarification about the way the court did things last time.

Still doesn’t mean this court won’t make up a reason to intervene … we have a court full of new justices whose sole reason to be there is to disregard precedent and overturn Roe.

And yes, Gore had no chance if it was tossed to the House. We agree. You also don’t seem to disagree that once this gets to the joint session it’s all over … unless there is a trick we haven’t thought about.

The only way I can see this ending less badly is if Trump doesn’t feel the love anymore, and the GOP finally grows some stones and makes some distance to keep their credibility. Trump needs to remain in power to get pardoned by Barr. All that’s left over is how much money can the GOP and Trump steal and how many crimes will get pardoned. It will be interesting to see if the Supreme Court steps in to allow Barr to block state proceedings in NY, or we’ll eventually have Pence or whomever the Congress appoints President give Trump another blanket pardon.

He really can go down 5th Avenue and start shooting. He wasn’t kidding, so long as the Congress won’t impeach and convict. Fuck Mitch McConnell.

Ed

edselehr
    Participant

Andrew: “I’m not saying this is likely to happen if Biden wins by say four states, but Trump wouldn’t necessarily need an “army of investigators” in each state – he would have no trouble organizing mobs of agitators in each state, like what Bush did in Florida in 2000 but on a much larger scale.”

The highly orchestrated “Brooks Brothers riots”, right? It had been so long since a close presidential election that at the time, we didn’t really know how to handle it, and the Bush Campaign played dirty politics to swing public sentiment his way, and establishing a baseline attitude in society that he had “won” and if a recount swung the results toward Gore it would be perceived as a stolen election.

Trump is doing that now, except that he is doing it before and while the ballots are cast. But I would like to think that we can learn from history – in this case, very recent history. Whether it’s the artificial “grass roots” outrage over hanging chads in 2000, or the astroturf “Tea Party” of 2008, one would hope that sane American will see those kind of responses to election results as no more than the minority having a tantrum. We hope.

paulwalker
    Participant

I have been skeptical of a Biden win for awhile. My mind is changing. Only because POTUS has been self destructing. I think it still may be too close for comfort but I am more encouraged of a Biden win three weeks-plus out.

lastday
    Participant

Trump is positioning himself as having superhuman powers. He vanquished COVID. He feels 20 years younger. He’s immune now. He has a glow. He’s said all this himself.

Trump’s fans love this cartoon superhero shit. You know, like Trump is from a Marvel movie.

It ain’t over.

Did anyone see Eric Trump on Face The Nation? He was like a rabid pit bull.

paulwalker
    Participant

Trump’s covid crisis will likely backfire. Most sane Americans are saying WTF? Just plain weird and just plain wrong. The guy has lost the country at this point. I seriously think the tide has changed. But everyone still needs to vote as his stupid base still has some power in some States.

Bob
    Participant

If Trump is re-elected, thank the rioters.
    Talk about a good way to lose suburban voters.

semoochie
    Participant

…quite possibly bought and paid for, just like his doctors!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.