drumpf will soon be gone but

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

the real problem will remain. The real problem is the 37% (it has recently shrunk from 42%) of the voters that still support him. They aren’t going away nor are they wising up to the facts about what the Republicans have done in the last 4 years.

Economy – destroyed unless you’re rich. Ask any restaurant owner/worker.

Environment – destroyed unless you’re a cockroach. Just as we were getting a handle on fossil fuel dependance and reduction, along comes the GOP under drumpf and yes, it’s not requiring genius to see what climate change has done. Wildfires, hurricanes . . . yeah, they always were around before but not like this.

Healthcare – slowly dismantling the ACA and the big failure on the pandemic.

Racism – drumpf is a racist, always has been (like his daddy) and clearly could care less about non whites and any minority. His minions often say look at what he does and not what he says. We have.

Judiciary – The GOP is the one that has stacked the courts already. This is a problem going forward, the solution to which does not appear to be clear. At least the trend can be reversed.

So nothing seems to wake up the hard core supporters of drumpf and the GOP. We’ll have to wait and see what the down ballot results look like, but there is a small, loud, volatile minority out there that could prove to be a large obstacle to progress both in and out of government oversight.

Those of you that still think drumpf has a chance of winning, you need to wake up. That’s not going to happen. This is not like 2016 at all.

Andrew
    Participant

In a fair election? Trump would lose in a landslide even in the electoral college. And he still might. But I am still worried about his potential to try to steal it via the courts and lawsuits in every state challenging election results. If he can keep 270 electors from voting for Biden through a bunch of state lawsuits and tricks, he could kick the election into the House, where currently Republicans control 26 of the 50 state delegations (that could change after the election). As it stands NOW, if such a vote happened today, Republicans would be able to vote in Trump in the House in a case like that.

So you’re right – it’s not 2016 at all but in more ways than one. Trump didn’t control the government in 2016 either…

Andrew
    Participant

There are also worrisome reports that voters who aren’t used to voting by mail are sending in ballots in ways that disqualifies them – so their votes won’t count. Trump has programmed his supporters to vote at the polls in person when possible; if millions of votes for Biden are thrown out due to technicalities, will it really matter if Trump is able to squeak in again?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Let me put it this way. There is a nascent fear about drumpf stealing the election but I expect that there won’t be enough electoral votes at risk. Biden is way ahead in all the swing states and competing in the Red states. In other words, he won’t have a case.

Also, the notion that drumpf’s base will get violent and begin a plague of violent protests around the country pales in comparison to what might happen if he successfully steals the election. Could he? Anything is possible but I’ll stick to probability, and that is really small. The elections are not run by drumpf and not run by the Republicans. Most states are ready for this election like no other. I truly believe drumpf’s time in power is over. Stick a fork in the GOP because they’re gonna take a hit like no other in history. Call it predictions if you want. There is little in the polls or the beat on the street that would indicate otherwise.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Today, there have been around 6 million votes already cast and what the early data says, it’s the 50-65 year old demo, mainly. Compared to early voting in 2016 and 2018…this is a huge number.

Andrew and Andy, what are your thoughts about how early voting is shaping up and can we speculate on what that really means?

semoochie
    Participant

There’s still the matter of all those felonies committed by not only Trump but multiple republicans who were in on various conspiracies as well as many who aided and abetted them. A lot of people could be going to prison and there might not be that many left!

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Today, there have been around 6 million votes already cast and what the early data says, it’s the 50-65 year old demo, mainly. Compared to early voting in 2016 and 2018…this is a huge number.

If true, this is excellent news. And not every state has mailed ballots to everyone yet.

semoochie
    Participant

We don’t have our ballots yet. The voter’s pamphlets arrived the last two days.

bookemdono
    Participant

Ballots go in the mail on the 14th. You should see yours by the end of week.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

So, which of you posters are going to move to Canada in the event Trump gets re-elected???? Just wondering.

radiogeek
    Participant

Let’s compare today to the end of Nixon’s reign.

Nixon resigned when the GOP Senators with a spine told him he’d be convicted in an impeachment. Now we have Moscow Mitch who wouldn’t allow Trump to be convicted for mass murder.

We had an orderly transition to Ford, who was VP, and no one disputed the transition. Ford then pardoned Nixon which created an outrage the likes of which the country had never seen before. Nixon’s crimes were nothing compared to the swamp of criminality that defines Trump and his mafia friends and family. But, Ford was a milk toast moderate, ineffective, and his short term helped to move on.

We all know Biden will win the votes. I certainly hope the House will certify an electoral win for Biden so we can move on. That’s the danger, not the election. I’m holding my breath until mid January. If Trump ends up with another term I don’t think this country could survive.

My more realistic fear is that Biden/Harris win, and then we don’t get the Senate in Dem hands. Then we have gridlock with Moscow Mitch. Nothing meaningful can get done unless some GOP members decide to jump ship and vote with Dems. What a mess.

My other fear is that Trump won’t be prosecuted or held responsible for is crimes before and during his term. Then the asshole goes on endless talk shows and riles up the lunatic 40% who are a real danger to this country. What could happen is that another asshole from the extreme right, but a COMPETENT one could then run for office 4 years from now and finish the conversion of the USA to a dictatorship.

This won’t be over for years.

And yes asshole Deane, I’ve discussed what it would take to relocate with multiple people including my wife who never before would have had such a conversation without laughing. It’s no laughing matter now. Trump is the new Hitler, and if we don’t stop the facist takeover this country is toast.

Ed

edselehr
    Participant

If Trump’s game plan is to challenge the vote, he’ll have to do it state by state. For example, if the four battleground states from 2016 are the ones he targets to challenge in 2020, that’s four teams of lawyers, four armies of ballot investigators…and that ain’t cheap. Last I heard, Trump’s campaign coffers are almost empty. And we know Trump won’t (can’t?) pay for it. So who is the big money donor that is going to fund these post-election challenges? Last I heard, the donors are abandoning Trump, not running toward him to help him in his time of need.

If Trump can get the winning margin down to the EV’s in one close state and can focus his legal attentions there, then maybe… If more states than that need to be challenged, I think Trump will be forced to fold.

Andrew
    Participant

edselehr: “If Trump’s game plan is to challenge the vote, he’ll have to do it state by state. For example, if the four battleground states from 2016 are the ones he targets to challenge in 2020, that’s four teams of lawyers, four armies of ballot investigators…and that ain’t cheap.”

This is true, and that’s another reason that the larger a Biden victory, the less likely it is Trump would be able to to overturn it through lawsuits and intimidation.

But you don’t need an “team of lawyers” for every state. A couple of the same lawyers can file lawsuits in all of the targeted states. Trump’s campaign lawyers have probably already looked at which lawsuits they would file in which states, etc. and know what their argument would be.

I’m not saying this is likely to happen if Biden wins by say four states, but Trump wouldn’t necessarily need an “army of investigators” in each state – he would have no trouble organizing mobs of agitators in each state, like what Bush did in Florida in 2000 but on a much larger scale. And he might get help from the state legislature e.g. in Florida which is controlled by Republicans and has a Republican governor. By law, each state decides how to submit its slate of electors to Congress after a presidential election; Florida’s legislature could just say, “Hey, we think this was fraudulent, this victory by Biden, so we are going to vote for a slate of Trump electors to send to Congress,” as some states did in the beginning of the country.

Then again, it’s possible that if Trump loses handily, he may surprise everyone and concede without much of a struggle. Maybe all of his bluster is designed to motivate his supporters before the election.

Andrew
    Participant

Deane: “So, which of you posters are going to move to Canada in the event Trump gets re-elected???? Just wondering.”

I don’t think it will be possible for a while, given that Canada has closed its borders even to American tourists. Given how poorly Trump has mismanaged the Covid response, unfortunately our case load is likely to be too high for some time yet to allow Canada to feel safe opening the border again.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Canada is too cold. Mexico would be a better climate. And, things are cheaper there. Oh, and Mexican food sounds far more exciting than Canadian food. How long can you put up with roast moose burgers?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.