Donald Trump is getting ZERO percent of the black vote in polls

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Donald Trump is getting ZERO percent of the black vote in polls

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant
    LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Due to the type of campaign he’s running, as well as just who he is and the kinds of “policies” he represents, it was already a (mathematical) foregone conclusion he would need historic/unprecedented numbers of white voters to offset his equally historic/unprecedented unpopularity with wide swaths of the electorate. Nonetheless, 0.0% is sadly impressive in its own way.

While it would be easy to look at that kind of story and think alternately hopeful thoughts for the Democratic candidate or mocking thoughts directed at the Republican candidate, today I don’t actually have either reaction. I just find it depressing.

It shouldn’t be like this. It’s not good for the country.

I’m not going to get into it again at this time in any great detail, but as I’ve shared before, in my opinion (which can easily be factually supported) Donald Trump is not really a Republican, a conservative, or anything that can be that easily categorized. He’s a dangerously ignorant demagogue who routinely espouses bigotry, racism, and misogyny. He lies continuingly, about virtually everything, possesses almost comical levels of narcissism, behaves childishly and is alarmingly thin skinned, and his ill-defined plans for the country have been widely derided by experts in their fields from both sides of the aisle. It’s somewhere well beyond a dumpster fire.

Yet, there are tens of millions of people who are somehow of the opinion he’s ready for the Oval Office. (What could go wrong?) Or at the least, are so ideologically hidebound and impervious to critical reasoning that they cannot conceive of accepting the obvious.

Polls will go up and down, both campaigns will have good weeks and bad weeks, all of the structural advantages the Democrats have in the electoral college remain the same, and in all likelihood we’ll end up inaugurating Hillary Clinton in January of next year.

Really, the only wild card I see in that outcome is how fearful, how crazy, how demented Donald Trump may be able to rile people up due to terror attacks. (News is just now coming out of France of yet another massacre.)

Yet it’s going to be a long few months.

Yet, I fear something really, truly, frightening and potentially quite dire is happening this election cycle that won’t end with the defeat of Donald Trump.

Speaking of “Taking our country back” and “Making America great again”, I’m of the fervent hope that the (apparently few) remaining intelligent, thoughtful, measured Republicans left in this country will take their party back. That’s really what needs to happen. It’s, arguably, even more important than whomever wins this November. Our government cannot function, and our country cannot continue to function the way the framers intended, when you have one political party that’s intent on demonizing their political opponents, framing everything as a hysterical life and death struggle, refusing to compromise upon anything, (despite the fact that’s the way the government was intended to function by those who designed the U.S. Constitution), and going out of their way to create hateful rifts between theses and (literally) everyone who’s not exactly like themselves.

It’s just exhausting. And sad.

skeptical
    Participant

On the upside, this ugly tide may turn quickly, sweeping Trump and his ilk back out to sea.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.