DOJ will not prosecute wilson

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    edselehr
    Participant

“The victim was Officer Wilson. He was the victim of a violent assault.”

This is not an “either/or” situation. I believe that Wilson believed he was threatened by Brown. But was that an actual threat, or a perceived threat? Did Wilson elevate the threat level he was perceiving because Brown was black? Did Wilson overreact in his response to a perceived threat by Brown?

The DOJ report recently issued reveals a highly racist department in Ferguson, with a “shoot first and ask questions later” attitude. Wilson was the one pulling the trigger that day, but I think (unfortunately) if there had been a different Ferguson cop there in that situation – given the attitude of this department – the actions taken would have been the same. And not because they were the right actions take, because they were not the right actions to take; the dead body lying in the street attests to that.

Vitalogy
    Participant

And let’s not kid ourselves. There are police departments all across the country that are just like Ferguson.

NoParty
    Participant

I have many friends on the Hillsboro Police force and Washington County Sheriffs office and I’m going to have to 100% disagree with you Vit. 97% of Police officers are NOT Ferguson. Even if you would like to see them as all evil it’s not true.

On the other hand the unjust killing that happened in Ferguson was not seen as one by the justice dept. or the grand jury but in a civil lawsuit the Police dept. and the officer involved will lose.

jerry1949
    Spectator

“Hands up, don’t shoot,” never happened.

That lie is a real injustice.

duxrule
    Participant

Even ‘The View’s’ token conservative agrees with DOJ: ‘If you’re black in Ferguson, you should be very scared’

“Former Republican operative Nicolle Wallace broke down the significance on Thursday of the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) damning findings regarding racially-biased police policies in Ferguson, Missouri.

“I don’t ever worry about getting a ticket for jaywalking. But if you’re black in Ferguson, you should be very scared — terrified,” Wallace told her fellow panelists.

As Newsweek reported on Wednesday, the investigation found that, besides failing to document arrests or complaints against them as well as regularly harassing and attacking black residents, local authorities used a “traffic enforcement initiative” to fuel the city’s coffers with the blessing of city officials.

“What’s troubling is how systematic it was. This was financial,” Wallace said. “They were funding city government functions on the backs of lower-income African-American residents of the town. They created, in effect, a debtor’s prison.”

The probe also revealed that nearly 100 percent of arrests, jaywalking tickets, vehicle stops and failure-to-comply tickets over a two-year period were levied against black residents…”
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/even-the-views-token-conservative-agrees-with-doj-if-youre-black-in-ferguson-you-should-be-very-scared/

jerry1949
    Spectator

Racism caused Brown to rob a cigar store, strike a police officer, attempt to steal his gun (to use against him), and then charge him? Alleged race problems don’t excuse robbery, resisting arrest, and attacking a police officer.

duxrule
    Participant

It sure seems like that there was a pretty toxic environment in Ferguson that could have led to exactly that scenario. Tell me this, would such an incident be MORE likely or LESS likely if the cops weren’t stopping pretty much every black person they saw?

edselehr
    Participant

“Racism caused Brown to rob a cigar store, strike a police officer, attempt to steal his gun (to use against him), and then charge him?”

Because racism is a significant contributor to poverty (particularly in Ferguson), and poverty is strongly correlated to property crime and violent crime…then yes, racism did contribute to Brown’s actions.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The engagement between the dead, unarmed victim and the police officer was initiated BY the police officer, due to racial profiling. End of story.

If the kid was white the cop wouldn’t have approached him.

Stats don’t lie, and the stats for Ferguson are RICICULOUS.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Trix, I’m not talking individual cops, I’m talking about departments as a whole. Ferguson is not a unique situation.

Look at all the horrible emails they discovered after looking over things. Do you really think if the Washington County sheriffs office or Hillsboro police departments emails were looked at, that there would be some bad stuff?

I want cops held to a higher standard because they have the ability to kill people and get away with it.

Amus
    Participant

If only Brown had responded in a more acceptable way to Officer Wilson, He’d be alive today.

Something along the lines;

“Yessa Massa Wilson. I sho-nuff don’ wan’ no trubba wid da Po-leese”.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Manners wouldn’t have mattered. Guys like Wilson are trained to deal with their clients as if they are animals.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Amus, you mean white guys get away with hitting police officers and trying to take their guns. Try it some time.

Brown should have said, “yes sir.” That’s a normal thing to say to a police officer. Not, “say hellow to my fist.”

You guys are defending a robber and assaulter and excusing his actions because of the color of his skin and the color of the policeman’s skin.

Amus
    Participant

Vit,

I disagree.
    I think Wilson would have patted him on his nappy little head and said; “That’s a good boy”.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.