Do You Have Enough Hypocrisy in You to Be a Successful Republican?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Do You Have Enough Hypocrisy in You to Be a Successful Republican?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 4 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

There is a not so proud history of anti-choice hardliners telling their mistresses to get abortions.

By now, we’re all familiar with the sad tale of Congressman Tim Murphy, Republican of Pennsylvania, who will be leaving Congress in great haste because the staunchly anti-choice legislator got caught telling his mistress to get an abortion.

Not only was Murphy a howling hypocrite, but he ran his congressional office like Vlad the Impaler. However, as satisfying as Murphy’s demise is, we would be remiss if we didn’t point out that he wasn’t even the first “pro-life” Republican member of Congress to get caught doing this very thing.

A decade before calling himself “a consistent supporter of pro-life values,” Tennessee physician and Republican U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais supported his ex-wife’s decision to get two abortions before their marriage, according to the congressman’s sworn testimony during his divorce trial. Obtained by the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the couple’s 2001 trial transcript also confirms DesJarlais had sexual relationships with at least two patients, three coworkers and a drug representative while he was chief of staff at Grandview Medical Center in Jasper, Tenn. During one affair with a female patient, DesJarlais prescribed her drugs, gave her an $875 watch and bought her a plane ticket to Las Vegas, records show.

Unlike Murphy, who has enough of a shred of common decency left in him to skulk out of public life, DeJarlais has been re-elected twice since his scandal broke, and he also was an early and enthusiastic supporter of the president.

The double standards employed by some members of the “do as I say, not as I do” Christian right are nothing new. Show me a senator who votes against gay marriage, and, at least in one infamous case, I’ll show you a guy who’s soliciting same-sex encounters in the airport men’s room. (Hello there, Larry Craig!)

Show me another Republican senator who made his name as a “pro-family advocate” and I’ll show you a guy whose phone number showed up in a Washington madam’s little black book. (Howdy, David Vitter!)

Show me the far-right speaker of the House, a man with perfect scores from the National Right to Life Committee and the Christian Coalition, and I’ll show you a guy who, as a high-school wrestling coach, set up a chair in front of the boys’ shower the better to ogle his protégés, and who was eventually jailed as a serial child molester. (Dennis Hastert, come on down!)

We’ve been down this road of duplicity before. The televangelist who prayed, alongside his wife, for the return of traditional morals, admitted to having sex with — and was accused of rape by — a 21-year-old church secretary, and found to have paid her $279,000. The congressman who voted for the Defense of Marriage Act was sexting with his underage male pages.

Scandals roll by so frequently that there is, by now, an expected script: the shocking revelation, the tearful confession, the up-from-the-ashes reinstatement plea or re-election campaign, garlanded with declarations of “God/my wife/Willie Robertson, star of ‘Duck Dynasty’ has forgiven me, why can’t you?” Perhaps the most shocking part of Mr. Murphy’s story is that he elected to quit, rather than scream “Fake news!” or sit back and wait for a new story to eclipse his hypocrisy, as Mr. DesJarlais did.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a12795017/tim-murphy-mistress-abortion/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.