Dissent is patriotic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Dozens of U.S. Diplomats stationed across the world have drafted a dissent memo objecting to Donald Trump’s ham fisted actions.

A pertinent excerpt: “This ban stands in opposition to the core American values that we, as federal employees, took an oath to uphold,” they wrote. “The end result of this ban will not be a drop in terror attacks against the United States; it will be a drop in international goodwill towards Americans and a threat towards our economy,”

The White House counter statement via The Press Secretary, a.k.a. The Minster of Truth? “They should either get with the program, or they can go,” Spicer said Monday at a press briefing.

Horrific. The full story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-diplomats-dissent-memo-trump_us_588f5901e4b08a14f7e70b8e?

“Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

“Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.”
    -Leonardo Da Vinci

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

“One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr.

“It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

“Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.”
    ― Harry Truman

Do any of those diplomats happen to be part of the fat that Trump plans to cut?

Are these federal employees in the same position as the citizens Franklin calls to question authority? Does the private question the authority of the sargent?

Authority was challenged on election day. Authority lost. The little people are taking control back through our new president and those who lost their power or who fear losing their power will kick and scream and incite protests every time they have an excuse to do so.

edselehr
    Participant

Diplomats are civilians, not soldiers. You think that all Executive Dept. employees should follow the directives of Generalissimo Trump without question? Can you even hear the fascist authoritarianism coming out of your mouth?

These people (and all appointed federal positions) take an oath to uphold the Constitution, not fealty to Trump. His job is to hire the most competent individuals, but those individuals are not duty-bound to serve Donny Boy.

duxrule
    Participant

“The little people are taking control back through our new president…”

Perhaps you can point to some actual examples of this, because all I’m seeing is a lot of “little people” getting screwed over.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Trump is always right.

I have no problem with anything he says or does no matter how egregiously ridiculous, offensive, or even of dubious legality.

I generally fail to answer a direct question, though expect others to afford me that same courtesy.

I routinely make unsupportable statements of opinion with complete surety.

I am a proven liar. I am a proven hypocrite.

-The Pope of Pork

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.