Devout catholic Majority Whip Steve Scalise and his KKK connections

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Devout catholic Majority Whip Steve Scalise and his KKK connections

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), whose office has been beating back criticism about a speech he gave at a 2002 gathering hosted by a white supremacist group, received some ill-timed praise from the group’s founder Monday evening. The notorious former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke described Scalise as “a fine family man” with whom he often agrees.

Scalise’s own message has not always been one of inclusion. Months after criticizing Duke, he was one of six state representatives who voted against making Martin Luther King Jr. Day a state holiday. He had also voted against a similar bill in 1999.

In a 2008 ad during his first successful bid for Congress, Scalise accused Democratic rival Jim Harlan of “endorsing Obama’s liberal and dangerous agenda shaped by radicals like Rev. [Jeremiah] Wright.” His campaign also put out a flier with Harlan’s photo near the star and crescent symbol, commonly associated with Islam.

In 2011, Scalise endorsed then-state Rep. John LaBruzzo’s re-election campaign in the district that had once been represented by Duke. He did so despite the fact that just three years earlier, LaBruzzo, a Republican, got into hot water for proposing to pay poor women to be sterilized or otherwise to not have children, while rich, better-educated women could be given incentives to reproduce.

It was a proposal that brought back memories of Duke for many people. In 1991, the former KKK leader had proposed legislation to give women on public assistance $100 if they used birth control or abstained from having sex.

LaBruzzo faced significant public backlash over his remarks, and he was ultimately stripped of his position as vice chairman of the state House Health and Welfare Committee.

At the time of LaBruzzo’s remarks, Scalise was making that original bid for a U.S. House seat, and he touted an endorsement from LaBruzzo on his campaign site.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Now that’s a “connection”!

Not enough shootings today to keep you happy and busy?

Vitalogy
    Participant

You don’t see a connection to the KKK?

Scalise spoke at a white supremacist gathering and knew about the background of this group. He was speaking to HIS people. He’s respected by David Duke. He voted against the MLK holiday. He supported a candidate who stood for sterilizations for low income women (read black women).

It would appear that he has a race problem. And he’s a devout catholic.

There’s a reason there aren’t black catholics. It’s a hostile environment.

Amus
    Participant

There is considerable animus for Catholics among the KKK.

Anti-Catholicism was widespread in the 1920s; anti-Catholics, including the Ku Klux Klan, believed that Catholicism was incompatible with democracy and that parochial schools encouraged separatism and kept Catholics from becoming loyal Americans.

My Mom related stories of growing up Catholic in Oregon in the 1930’s and 1940’s and the need to keep that particular aspect of your life to yourself.

stevethedj
    Participant

So let me get this straight. You kick this guy for talking with voters in his district. And he is pro-birth control. I thought you liberals were yelling the last two elections about a “war on women”. Limiting choice. And V- you missed the school shooting in packastan where over 100 people mostly children were killed for just wanting to go to school. By your muslim crazie friends.

Amus
    Participant

Keep the facts straight.

…you missed the school shooting in packastanPakistan where over 100 people mostly children were killed for just wanting to go to school.

The school was run by the military.
    It does not excuse it, or make it any less horrific, but it makes it a little bit more strategic than just killing school children.

stevethedj
    Participant

Those precious children should not have been hurt. I hope they hunt down and kill every adult who killed them.

duxrule
    Participant

Am I alone in wondering what this has to do with Steve Scalise hanging out with KKK dudes?

stevethedj
    Participant

Or to put it better, duxrule. I can’t see anybody who is KKK, hanging with someone who is catholic. Not that I have any first hand experience with anybody who is KKK. Their nasty people.

Amus
    Participant

While not technically a “dodge”, Steve is using #2 from Missing’s dodge list;

2. False comparison (Like computers and cars, only it’s politics and sex –or something goofy, that just does not present as goofy at first blush.)

Somehow a guy soliciting support from the KKK isn’t quite so bad if mooslims are killing children somewhere in the world.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Let’s just call that dropping a deuce. πŸ™‚

Hey, new turd analogy. Yes, I once had a collection of those here too, mostly because Deane liked ’em.

Kicking the fresh turd is like pulling out! There is a mess, and unintended consequences.

stevethedj
    Participant

Amus-isn’t it a little bit early to be drinking??? There is no coralation between what happens overseas and this political event. Period. Also Rev. Al Sharpton can talk with the KKK. Will they listen to him??? I don’t think so.

Amus
    Participant

There is no coralation correlation between what happens overseas and this political event.

So why did you bring it up then?

jr_tech
    Participant

“By your muslim crazie friends”

What I think I am seeing here is the logic “error of the excluded middle”. As in; “Vit does not support the KKK, therefore he *must* be in support of radical “muslin crazie” groups”. There are actually a lot of positions between the two extremes, including “none of the above”.

I have never seen support of any radical group in Vits’ postings.

Does this error of logic constitute a “dodge”?

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yes.

Please post it for discussion. It may be we’ve got it covered in one already, but it may be this one should stand apart too.

πŸ™‚

See update to “dodge list” thread. I would, but I’m out of time for the moment…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.