Death Rates Rising for Middle-Aged White Americans

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Death Rates Rising for Middle-Aged White Americans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

This is bad news for the GOP. They rely on uneducated and unskilled workers for support due to social stances (against their own best economic interests).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html

Something startling is happening to middle-aged white Americans. Unlike every other age group, unlike every other racial and ethnic group, unlike their counterparts in other rich countries, death rates in this group have been rising, not falling.

That finding was reported Monday by two Princeton economists, Angus Deaton, who last month won the 2015 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science, and Anne Case. Analyzing health and mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and from other sources, they concluded that rising annual death rates among this group are being driven not by the big killers like heart disease and diabetes but by an epidemic of suicides and afflictions stemming from substance abuse: alcoholic liver disease and overdoses of heroin and prescription opioids.

The analysis by Dr. Deaton and Dr. Case may offer the most rigorous evidence to date of both the causes and implications of a development that has been puzzling demographers in recent years: the declining health and fortunes of poorly educated American whites. In middle age, they are dying at such a high rate that they are increasing the death rate for the entire group of middle-aged white Americans, Dr. Deaton and Dr. Case found.

The mortality rate for whites 45 to 54 years old with no more than a high school education increased by 134 deaths per 100,000 people from 1999 to 2014.

“It is difficult to find modern settings with survival losses of this magnitude,” wrote two Dartmouth economists, Ellen Meara and Jonathan S. Skinner, in a commentary to the Deaton-Case analysis to be published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“Wow,” said Samuel Preston, a professor of sociology at the University of Pennsylvania and an expert on mortality trends and the health of populations, who was not involved in the research. “This is a vivid indication that something is awry in these American households.”

Dr. Deaton had but one parallel. “Only H.I.V./AIDS in contemporary times has done anything like this,” he said.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is the mystery of our times. I wonder whether there are any cultural and generational factors at play in these climbing death rates. The 45-54 age demographic would encompass the end of the Baby Boom generation and early-mid Generation-X. The exclusivity of this phenomenon to people with a high school education or less would indicate that their careers have been spent doing low-skilled blue collar or service work.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I’m doomed!

Amus
    Participant

OK.

I’m going to tie this into politics since we’re here, you know “Politics & Other Things”.

This;

the declining health and fortunes of poorly educated American whites.

I suggest that that’s prime demographic for Fox News, Limbaugh et al.

These people need be be kept in an almost constant state of fear and anger to make sure they keep voting against their own interests.

Nothing will kill you faster than constant stress.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wondered whether the people experiencing the increased death rates have gone through their lives feeling a sense of inferiority. Most importantly, I think that in the last few decades, there has been an increasing social expectation that White people should at least be able to attain an associate’s degree.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.