Darren Wilson Not Indicted

This topic contains 63 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Craig 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Vitalogy
    Participant

jerry1949
    Spectator

Until now, nobody has seen all the facts that the grand jury has seen. They judged the case on the facts and not according to a desired outcome, such as frying a white cop.

It’s sad the way you use ad-hominem and distortions of the truth to defend your position, v.

Michael brown was not a “child.” And he was shot, not because of the lies you continue to spew, but because he attacked the officer.

This is simply another case of not being able to admit you were wrong, just as you couldn’t man up and admit your election prediction was far from stellar.

A robber was killed because he attacked and threatened the life of a police officer. Race had nothing to do with it, though of course sharpton and Jackson and the rest of those in the race industry will exploit the situation to the max.

We might ask where the parents were that they raised their son to be a robber, a bully, and one who would attack a cop.

missing_kskd
    Participant

It is not possible for most people to take this ugly incident in without also considering the overall body of things we have also seen.

My own response is the same one I felt with Travon: No fucking way this is acceptable in any form.

Secondly, our inability to see a growing problem for what it is means blood will spill. Lots of it, and that too is completely unacceptable.

That is all.

edselehr
    Participant

F&B, do you believe that this was the only viable action for the officer to take? Couldn’t he – and shouldn’t he – have found a non-lethal response to his confrontation with Brown? Shouldn’t officers be better than the criminals they deal with?

jerry1949
    Spectator

Included in the grand jury material released tonight after the announcement that no charges would be filed in the Michael Brown killing is a handwritten witness account stating that the teenager charged at Officer Darren Wilson “like a football player. Head down.”

The unidentified witness wrote that the 18-year-old Brown “has his arms out with attitude,” while “The cop just stood there.” The witness added, “Dang if that kid didn’t start running right at the cop like a football player. Head down.”

The witness told of hearing “3 bangs,” but “the big kid wouldn’t stop.”

The witness’s account of the unarmed Brown charging Wilson–even after he had been shot in the hand during a struggle at the cop’s patrol car–supports the officer’s contention that he fired a series of shots as Brown bore down on him.

During his September 16 grand jury testimony, Wilson recounted how he tussled with Brown when the teenager grabbed for his gun while lunging into the squad car. As they fought over the weapon, Wilson testified, the teenager taunted him, yelling, “You’re too much of a pussy to shoot me.”

Wilson told the grand jury that he felt Brown’s “fingers try to get inside the trigger guard with my finger.” He added, “I distinctly remember envisioning a bullet going into my leg. I thought that was the next step.”

Testifying that he thought Brown would “kill me if he gets ahold of this gun,” Wilson said that he discharged the weapon inside the cruiser. The gunshot, he added, “kind of startled him and me at the same time.” The teenager then “looked up at me and had the most intense aggressive face,” Wilson recalled. “The only way I can describe it, it looks like a demon, that’s how angry he looked.” Brown, Wilson testified, then raised his arms and punched him in the face.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/darren-wilson/witnesss-said-brown-charged-wilson-897043

jerry1949
    Spectator

Edselehr,

I’m sure that with the benefit of hindsight and being in the comfort and safety of my home, I could think of some ways a killing could have been avoided.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I’m sure with the benefit of training and funding and selection of quality people, could know many ways to avoid that killing and be empowered to do so.

I’m also quite sure a lot less misinformation, fear mongering, “those other people” kind of garbage pumping fear, shame, ignorance leading to hate in people’s minds would only help this kind of thing along.

The state of things right now is simply unacceptable.

Anybody excusing this in basic ways is part of the problem.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The was not Trayvon Martin part deux. Not one bit. In that case the white guy stalked the black kid who had done nothing wrong, and subsequently murdered him and got away with it.

In this case, the black kid committed three crimes: robbery, resisting arrest and attacking a police officer.

Too many of you had your minds made up weeks (months) ago about what really happened. I said I wasn’t sure and was leaning like most of you. However, I was very wary of news coverage BECAUSE I HAVE WORKED IN THE SLEAZY BUSINESS OF TELEVISION and let me tell you all, and we discuss this all the time, they aren’t out to create accurate reporting. CBS and NBC even broke away from the prosecutor’s statement right after he announced the finding and I had to go to CNN to keep hearing what he had to say, and I think after all this info is released in print, the full picture of what happened might surprise some of you at least those that have kept an open mind about this incident alone and not lumped it into the cesspool of media coverage of every police shooting of other victims who were unarmed and potentially innocent. Amplify this by the social media reports, many of which were total fabrications, and I totally understand the majority sentiment. Now I certainly don’t side with Herb’s interpretations, but it is clear that there were numerous witnesses THAT DID NOT MAKE A STATEMENT OR STATEMENTS TO THE PRESS, but only to the Grand Jury. None of you have read those statements in their entirety or at possibly at all. Their statements were congruous with the physical evidence. Many of the supposed “facts” previously discussed on this topic were not congruous with the physical evidence specifically the blood trail, the victim’s clothing and other items that we can all read about in tomorrow’s more detailed reports as the full documentation becomes available, and not excerpts that can be taken out of context for spin purposes. It also appears that after being shot in the hand and leg, the victim kept charging the officer. Not a smart move. The entire end of the scenario was caught on videotape THAT NONE OF YOU OR THE PRESS OR SOCIAL MEDIA HAVE SEEN, only the Grand Jury has seen.

So either it’s the biggest fix since the Black Sox or the Grand Jury got it right. After all, we can’t keep telling Herb and F&B that Faux News tells 80% lies and not consider that all the networks combined only get it right about half the time (that’s generous). Again, they aren’t playing to the truth, they are playing to the lowest common denominator. Period. If you have (and I credit most of you for) an above average level of intelligence, ask yourself this, what didn’t Wilson do right? He asked for compliance, but the kid was a thief with the goods in his hand. The victim attacked the officer without physical provocation and reached into the car for his gun as the officer tried to get out. The officer fired at him only after taking two serious shots in the head with the car door, and continued to ask for compliance from the wounded victim. The victim charged him again and the officer had no choice. Did he have a choice? What would you have done differently?

Having said that, there are still some issues. Could the officer have avoided this end? His testimony, congruent with his injuries, claim the victim slammed the door on him several times and was going to do it again, ignoring numerous commands to stop, so what do you all think you would do? But the first volleys only injured the victime, backed him up but he turned around and charged again. That is plain high on meth like behavior.

Other issues are more to your liking. Yes, there is clearly a problem in this country, a problem that has existed for centuries. It’s called racism and white establishment power. There is no denying that, but this is not the case to hang that issue on. No way. The subsequent riots and fires are all acts of cowardice. Many of these people, like some of you, had their minds made up from the select base of information that they were comfortable with one ago. So they loot pillage and rebel. You post on a board your dissatisfaction. That makes you better people,but it doesn’t make the Grand Jury wrong.

Until I read the full Grand Jury reports, I will have no further comment,but that is my first impression after the finding was released. I would have preferred that the facts proved otherwise and that the policeman was indicted for a crime that does indeed happen every day in many cities in the U.S., but these facts did not line up like that. They indicated a robbery suspect threatening, attacking and resisting the police. None of that is in question anymore because of eyewitness accounts and video evidence THAT YOU HAVE NOT READ OR SEEN, so there is no relevance to this particular case that police harass black kids and often shoot first and ask questions later all too much. This time the victim got himself killed by robbing a store to prove his machismo and doing everything wrong that he possibly could have done wrong when he got caught. This kid wasn’t gunned down by the police, he got himself killed. I have sympathy for his parents who will spend the rest of their lives in denial about what their son’s actions actually were that day. That is sad, but until the cultural problems are solved through better education, this will continue to happen. And I do blame these cultural problems on the fat white racist conservatives in government whom are more interested in their own greed and power than in serving the public and doing the right things in advancing, supporting and funding education, jobs, immigration, fighting poverty and pursuing racial equality. I put the onus squarely on voters whose politics support the conservative extremists in government and think they are doing the right thing. The shame for this falls not on the public servants, but on these conservative voters whose head’s are collectively up their ass. Thanks for reading. No cut and pastes. No quotes. From my heart. Take it or leave it, that’s how it appears to me.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Andy says:

[This] was not Trayvon Martin part deux. Not one bit.

Totally. I didn’t mean to say it was. What I did mean to say is I ended up feeling a very similar, “not acceptable” regarding the outcome.

And I really do mean to say we’ve got a growing number of unacceptable outcomes involving the courts and police overall, this contributing to a general rage that won’t end well at all.

Linking this back to earlier commentary, I’m thinking we aren’t really having the kind of dialog needed to improve on things. There is just a general escalation.

I also find I’m disturbed by the strong desire to compartmentalize things, as well as resolve them in simplest form, “you get what you get” style, where really every one of us should be thinking more along the lines of “how did we get here?” and “where can we go from here that is better?”

Sure, there is fault, and we want to assign it, and I get that.

But there are systemic root causes here too, and without actually recognizing those as people, they will continue to exist.

And that is what is completely unacceptable to me.

edselehr
    Participant

Andy, I still believe this is Trayvon Martin part deux. Now, I don’t believe it’s Trayvon Martin all over again (the same situation), but rather an unfortunate but natural extension of the animus that started with the Trayvon Martin shooting.

Yes, these circumstances are markedly different, and Michael Brown appears to be way less innocent than Martin. The similarities have to do with authority (and white society in general) responses to a perceived threat by a black man, which is to pull a gun and start shooting.

I believe most police officers strongly refrain from using their guns. If a police officer uses his/her gun, in most cases it is justified. But in those instances when the justification is less certain, why does it seem the victim is always black?

kennewickman
    Participant

And I remind you all …that Brown reached inside his waistband as if he had a weapon…STUPID…and this was witnessed by 3 or 4 witnesses ( its in the grand jury evidence handout) and they were AFRICAN AMERICAN witnesses..After the scuffle in the police car, Brown knew the cop had a gun, because it went off twice, one bullit hitting Brown in the thumb, the other in the drivers side door, downward deflection into the arm rest..WELL ..DUH !! and then the cop, you see , DIDNT KNOW whether BROWN HAD A GUN or not….but assumed he might have had one based on his GRABBING at his waistband which was something like POSTURING …which are behaviors consistent with someone who is armed and ready to shoot.

Pretty stupid”” Gangsta ”behavior from that young man all the way around !

And I , and so do many others more well read and educated in these matters than I am, believe there will be NO Federal Charges in this case.

kennewickman
    Participant

And I remind you all …that Brown reached inside his waistband as if he had a weapon…STUPID…and this was witnessed by 3 or 4 witnesses ( its in the grand jury evidence handout) and they were AFRICAN AMERICAN witnesses..After the scuffle in the police car, Brown knew the cop had a gun, because it went off twice, one bullit hitting Brown in the thumb, the other in the drivers side door, downward deflection into the arm rest..WELL ..DUH !! and then the cop, you see , DIDNT KNOW whether BROWN HAD A GUN or not….but assumed he might have had one based on his GRABBING at his waistband which was something like POSTURING …which are behaviors consistent with someone who is armed and ready to shoot.

Pretty stupid”” Gangsta ”behavior from that young man all the way around !

And I , and so do many others more well read and educated in these matters than I am, believe there will be NO Federal Charges in this case.

Alan Craig
    Participant

A few thoughts & observations here: The system, however flawed in reality or perception has spoken and much more than a teenagers life was destroyed here. Also lost was a family’s and policeman’s future along with a minority community’s belief in fairness and equality. The hope for peaceful protests although a nice sentiment, is unfortunately not shared by most social & mainstream media outlets.

Herb
    Participant

I forgot. To liberals, facts don’t matter.

Again.

Don’t commit strong arm robbery, then try to take a police officer’s gun.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I forgot. To liberals, facts don’t matter.”

To whom and what are you referring?

If there is a segment of the population to whom facts don’t matter, it is clearly the conservative element who not only created the racial tension but exacerbates every day. The conservative politicians voted in by the clueless conservative voters, made up largely of the fat white racist misogynistic good ol’ boy American males that have forgotten that everybody in America (unless you’re a Native American) is an immigrant. It is that element that refuses to believe in individual rights and freedoms and whose reprehensible representation in government refuses to fund education, refuses to feed and clothe and provide shelter for the poor, ignores our veterans of military service, sees women as slaves and blacks as intellectually inferior and has been on the wrong side of history for hundreds of years. Yes, you Herb and your brethren conservative fools are the real problem. You want facts, there are plenty to prove my point. Don’t make a stand on this case against those that don’t see the fact that it’s not a good example of what the real problems in America are. It’s not about a black idiot kid who robbed a store and assaulted a law enforcement officer, it’s about the culture he grew up in and couldn’t break out of. A culture set forth for him by the lackluster Republican Party and the conservative monologue that is poisoning the nation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.