Cuba Relations Thaw

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Normalizing relations is the best option for the US. Cuba, as a power, is insignificant on the big stage.

However, there are economic benefits to be had by both sides, plus, once the Cubans get a taste for cars newer than 1952, they will decide that the way of the US might be a good idea for them too. That and the Castros will be both dead soon.

Broadway
    Participant
    Vitalogy
    Participant

You’re a douche.

If you want Cuba to become better, we must normalize relations so we can INFLUENCE!

The Castros will both be dead soon and we must look down the road.

Broadway
    Participant

>>The fall of the evil empire
    In the headlines this morning from one of the great brothers…“prosperous and sustainable communism.” So much for relevant change.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/world/americas/castro-thanks-us-but-affirms-cubas-communist-rule.html?_r=0

duxrule
    Participant

Cuba is a sovreign country.

jr_tech
    Participant

Really, can anybody here come up with a *serious* argument as to why we should not start down a path aimed toward a better relationship with our neighbor to the SE?

In celebration of this pending shift in relations, I had to play one of my favorite “World Music” tunes last night… love the Cuban influences in music:

Anybody have another favorite from the island?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Not exactly from the island, but Percy Faith’s album from the 60’s titled “Malaquena the music of Cuba” is one of my all time favorites.

One day in the early 70’s a big heavy box arrived from Percy Faith. It contained every album he had ever recorded and a note that just said “Deane, thanks for your interest in my work, Percy”. Of course there was a fresh copy of Malaquena included with the others.

missing_kskd
    Participant

BTW: Cubans do have newer vehicles. Peugot (however you spell it) sells cars there.

Not sure how Cubans pay for them… given the “we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us” dynamic currently dominating the economics.

For sure a lot of older cars are maintained and used. Cubans have become quite adept at making something from next to nothing, and they export medical services and people too. I find that quite interesting.

I love the big, bold sound of Cuban music. It just feels damn good, and being culturally isolated means they have evolved some great new sounds I can’t wait to hear more of.

To me, the big win is more telecommunications being allowed. There are a few Cubans who do blog and participate on the greater Internet, and they are competent. So there is some education going on, but it’s scope is far from impacting the average Cuban, who still worries about calories more than anything else.

Bootleg devices also get into the country, so the basics needed for many Cubans to benefit from outsice communications is sort of there, for a start at least.

Computers are rare and often antiquated and the education needed for them isn’t robust. From what I can tell, this all gets done under the radar.

Once the communications efforts and tourism starts, things could move nicely and more quickly than we might expect. The people of Cuba are hungry (literally) for advancement, access to better opportunities, etc…

They are also a hard working, creative, “do what it takes” kind of people, as would be expected of their relative isolation.

I am most interested in what Cuban millenials actually do. Some are on the net and aware. Bet word spreads fast, and peer to peer education will too.

Honestly, a mix of communism and capitalism is the most likely, near term result. Food and other basics may well improve in a capitalist way, with business moving in to do what the government isn’t or can’t do well.

Cuba can export it’s doctors and offer training, etc… easily, as well as it’s creative works.

Given how they live today, even modest gains will be a very good thing, and they will maximize it rapidly.

Pressure for a more reasonable government will build just as rapidly.

Could be really good times for everyone in just 5 – 10 years.

I generally like Cubans and I’ve followed happenings there through the few people who do or can publish. Unlike other isolated nations, such as North Korea, parts of the UAE, et al. Cubans are seemingly reasonable people with modest goals.

This is all about the government, not the people, and that makes a big difference in the risks.

jr_tech
    Participant

“BTW: Cubans do have newer vehicles. Peugot (however you spell it) sells cars there.”

As a former owner of a Peugeot automobile (a 403) a Peugeot bicycle and a Peugeot pepper mill, I’m guessing that the Cubans *might* have an easier task keeping the 50s and older American cars running. 🙂

Brianl
    Participant

The French are known for a lot of things. Quality automobiles is not one of them.

This is a win-win, and WAY overdue in happening. The Cuban embargo is over 50 years old, and has been a proven failure. For Cuba (because it was the Cuban citizens who suffered, surely not the Castro regime) and for America.

Cuba is loaded with old ’50s American cars, they are an iconic figure down there. They have been “maintained” with Soviet-bloc parts. A’57 Chevy with a Yugo engine in it, who woulda thunk?

missing_kskd
    Participant
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.