Cuba Relations Thaw

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    stevethedj
    Participant

Well after over fifty years of a policy that didn’t work. Put in place by people who are long gone. It’s time to try something different. Bonus points to President Obama for trying something new. After all this isn’t the first time our government has supported a despicable leader.

duxrule
    Participant

Why do you say such horrible things about George W. Bush and Dick Cheney?

Amus
    Participant

And just about everybody else.

Suggested reading

duxrule
    Participant

The formula for this move is simple, my friends…it’s the old profit motive.

Easing rules with Cuba may produce bonanza for U.S. business

http://www.theolympian.com/2014/12/17/3483370_much-at-stake-if-cuba-opens-to.html?sp=/99/101/131/&rh=1

kennewickman
    Participant

I am sure that Lee Oswald would also be applauding from his grave in Fort Worth, of this change in diplomatic attitude on the part of the US. It would come under his support of ” Fair Play for Cuba”..( tounge in cheek here)..

Otherwise, I agree with whats been said…all the way around. Its time to ‘get over it “…dictatorships still suck , but unless we are being directly attacked or threatened in some serious way, its generally vacuous to maintain a total isolation attitude. North Korea being an example currently w.r.t our foreign relationship.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed. There really is no downside by becoming friendly, or atleast semi-friendly with a country that is 100 miles or so off the U.S. coast.

The upside is tourism, and the deflection of Russia, (I think the real reason this is happening) though there is no proof they are trying to repeat the ’62 crisis. This may well become a ’16 campaign issue, with Cuban-American Marco Rubio speaking loudly against. OK, that is fine, but my guess he needs an issue to get attention. Next we will hear from Jeb. Wonder which way he will go? Actually I already know. He will be ambiguous.

paulwalker
    Participant

unintended duplicate

Broadway
    Participant

Wow, Obama getting cozy with 2 thug brothers who really torture their own for just disagreeing with you. Will all this change that policy?

Amus
    Participant

I wonder who has tortured more people in Cuba.
    Castro or Bush.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yup.

Broadway, improving relations means improving communications, which means ordinary people being enlightened, feeling less alone, and all the good that we know will come from that.

Right now, the island is cut off, people isolated, resources scarce.

This is a good scenario for a dictator, who doesn’t have to invest as much in dictating.

More robust interactions, new business, resources, information changes things.

Now the dictator will have to either invest more in dictating, or perhaps bend a little with the understanding the people will be comparing their experiences to others out there.

Broadway
    Participant

>>I wonder who has tortured more people in Cuba.
    Castro or Bush
    Does America terrorize it’s citizens more that Communism?

missing_kskd
    Participant

Republicans and therie fear and shame based policies terrorize minorities of all kinds every single day.

They seek wage slavery, lacing it with some false promise of freedom.

They lie every day, and they advance the agenda and power of oligarchs, who try to act as kings and lords.

They would criminalize who people are.

Communist Cuba isn’t pretty, but at least Cubans enjoy good health care, where people in the US die or go bankrupt, unless they can pay big.

Republicans have sold arms to dictators for oil, and they killed tons of Iraqi people because oil and greed.

The USA isn’t very pretty right now, and we would do well to get our own house in order befor judging others.

Amus
    Participant

Does America terrorize it’s citizens more than Communism?

You do know that Communism is an economic system and not form of Government, right?

If you meant that a “Communist Government” terrorizes it’s citizens, you’ll need to specify whether you’re speaking literally or figuratively.

If literally, then I think the word you’re looking for is “dictatorship”.

If you’re speaking figuratively, then the phase should be;

Does America terrorize punish it’s citizens more than Communism?

In that case I don’t disagree, but we do appear to be rapidly heading in that direction.

Communism is and has been proven to be an nonviable economic system. I don’t think you’ll get any argument here about that.

What doesn’t seem to be understood is that unregulated Capitalism (the polar opposite of Communism) is equally nonviable and can be equally as damaging.

History bears this out.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Indeed.

kennewickman
    Participant

And of course this will be challenged in court. Another ‘executive memo”…( essentially it has the same effect as an executive order)..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.