KPTV adding Cozi, Laff

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 183 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 184 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

Are you in Newberg? Can you get 12 & 49 directly from Portland there? Of course out here near Astoria, none of the PDX stations are received directly. Even in a analog days, they were good.

jr_tech
    Participant

K18EL just returned to the air at 12:21… I heard the BFO tone from the Icom tuned to 494.312 mhz. I then did a TV scan and found only an extra 49.1. I was watching during the scan, and only one channel was added from ch 18 so they are not re transmitting ch 12 or any other channels at this time. 🙁
    I am in Hillsboro.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is interesting. This morning when I checked 21.1 KPTV 21.2 KPDX was operating normally.So no change here as yet. But we should know something this coming week, as the end of April is coming up soon.

semoochie
    Participant

It’s been a page or two since this was addressed but are you saying there are extra channels on 12 and 49 because I’m not getting them? I’m also not getting 26 anymore. There is something odd though: I’m reading over “90” on channel 36 which is about ten more than 22! It’s the only low power station like that. “70” is more common.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just mentioned that there is no changes here on KPTV 12.1 (21.1) and KPDX 49.1 (21.2) as yet. I would guess the new channels will be added this week, as this is the last week of April. That is, unless Meredith has some issues.

jr_tech
    Participant

Did a quick scan this morning… nothing new on 12, 49 or the 49 translator (ch 18, on the ridge between Hillsboro and Newberg).

Signal strength on 36 seems to fall in line with the other UHF channels. The little portable TV that I was using just has a red, yellow, green scale… The full power stations are mid to high green, 36 is low green.

Ch 26 is weak, but semi-watchable (with some break-up) with my TV antenna pointed at 120 degrees (vs 90 degrees for most Portland stations). It indicates in the red zone on the scale.

On the Icom using a Disk-Cone antenna, 22 is 5 over S-9, 49(30) is 8 over S-9, 36 is only S-4 to S-5…26 barely moves the needle under Pip the DX cat’s right paw.
    <<<<<<<<<

semoochie
    Participant

I live underneath Mt. Scott at the Estacada exit. I’ve always gotten it before.

jr_tech
    Participant

Wonder if adding the antenna for KISN-LP changed the near field pattern of ch 26 slightly?

semoochie
    Participant

I took the antenna down for some roof work and put it back up a couple of inches higher. It may not be aimed quite the same but since I got over 90 on channel 36, it’s probably about right, now.

jr_tech
    Participant

Sounds like your antenna is about 90 degrees off from ch 26 on Mt Scott… perhaps has a decent null in the pattern at 90 degrees. At least you are likely doing well with the other Portland stations, 36 is on the old ch 2 tower, which is pretty much the center of the Sylvan/Skyline group of towers.
    What kind of antenna are you using?

semoochie
    Participant

It’s a Radio Shack. It’s a little larger than my whole hand and about an inch thick with an amplifier. I had intended to buy a real antenna but just couldn’t justify the extra space, since it was only intended as a backup. It extends a few inches above the top of the roof. I can’t see the towers for the trees and am only guessing.

mwdxer1
    Participant

It is Sunday night/Monday morning, so it might be a time Meredith can get it going. I’ll be checking after Midnight.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The Icom receiver can read digital signals? That I did not know. I thought they were all analog.

jr_tech
    Participant

Each digital TV signal contains a fairly strong “Reference Carrier” which is placed up 0.309440559 Mhz from the bottom edge of the channel. I listen with the BFO on, slightly offset to hear a tone. For example, right now I am tuned to 210.310 MHz and am hearing a nice tone on ch 13 (KVAL Eugene)… signal strength is only S-1. Moving down 6 MHz to 204.310 MHz, there is a good tone and a 10db over S-9 signal from ch 12 (KPTV Portland). This is using only a Disk-Cone antenna. Fun method for listening for meteor skip, since the analog TV stations are mostly gone.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Too bad the digital tuners in the TV’s are not that sensitive. I do remember when I lived in Hillsboro (near the airport), in the mid 70s, I used to regularly get KVAL 13 and at times KEZI 9. Those were that days when KVDO 3 was on in Salem and they had a decent signal.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.