KPTV adding Cozi, Laff

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 183 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 184 total)
  • Author

msndrspdx
    Participant

No changes on Comcast Portland yet. The lineup, as of now, runs like this:
    Channel-Service
    301- Get TV (KATU)
    302 – Me TV (KATU)
    303 – This TV (KRCW)
    304 – Antenna TV (KRCW)
    307 – Estrella TV (KGW)
    308 – Justice Network (formerly Live Well)(KGW)
    310 – OPB+ (KOPB)
    316 – Mundo Fox (KUNP)
    317 – KPWC Salem (Azteca)
    318 – KWVT Sakem (You Too America, formerly America 1)

Best, Mike 😉

mwdxer1
    Participant

Pansat is no longer is business I was told. Some other company is making a clone type receiver I was told. Charter Cable has been out here for several years now. They have really updated in the past few years, after almost going bankrupt. Their high speed internet it what saved them. DSL gives 4, Charter gives 60+.
    I just tried scanning again and nothing on 12/49 as yet. They must have run into some issues. I guess adding sub channels in the beginning may create issues.

mwdxer1
    Participant

In checking the KPTV website, I found the COZI and Laff TV info, but it just said “soon”, so maybe there was a change in plans? Another post said coming in April. The earliest now probably will be next week as I doubt anything will happen over the weekend. I also e mailed KPTV to thank them for bringing us the sub channels.

mwdxer1
    Participant

An interesting thing happened early Sunday morning. I did another scan of ch 12/49 out here on the coast and I found 49 gone. I just got 21.1 (21 is the translator ch). I lost the 12.1, KPTV only at 21.1. Then a half hour later, both were back at 12.1 and 49.1. I thought maybe they were working on getting on the sub channels. However, in a check Sunday morning a bit later, nothing as changed, still 12.1 and 49.1 (21.1 & 21.2).

Master of Disaster
    Participant

I receive KPTV and KPDX over-the-air from their main transmitters and rescanned a few hours ago, still just the main 12.1 and 49.1 channels here as well.

washnotore
    Participant

Over on the AVS Forum website. Under Local HDTV Info Reception.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/148479-las-vegas-nv-hdtv-319.html#post33673209

It was confirmed that KPTV’s sister station. KVVU in Las Vegas has already activated. There dot 3 channel, which is now showing Escape TV.

If I remember correctly. KPTV/KPDX and KVVU master control is hub out of Phoenix with KPHO.

KPHO is now show Cozi TV on there dot 3 channel as of last week.

http://www.kpho.com/story/28767773/digital-channel-changes-coming-to-cbs-5

So it’s still a work in progress with the corporate engineers.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the update. I know at times when there are changes, the NW can be a bit behind in getting those in place. Probably the bigger markets get going on them first and it works down. However, I do not know how much work & money it takes to add sub channels. It may be quite expensive. I do know that adding the translators in different locations around the NW for the Portland stations was very expensive. Then changing over to digital was another big expense. In our case out here, Megler could not be changed until Gray’s River was changed as Megler gets the signal from Gray’s River. I doubt the Portland stations have many viewers in the Gray’s River WA area, but it is a pick up point to get the signal to Astoria-Seaside. But it sounds like KPTV is on the road to get the sub channels. I just hope we get them out here.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I was told the other day by a Direct TV installer that Charter is being sold to Comcast. That may be good or not, I have no clue, other than what I was told.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Online TV listings (TV Guide etc.) show no subchannels on KPTV or KPDX as of 4 May.

mwdxer1
    Participant

There will not be any listings until KPTV does add the sub channels, as no date has been given just “soon” or maybe “April”

jr_tech
    Participant

Possibly related, tonight I did a scan with my TV antenna pointed south and did not detect the KPDX(49) repeater that is normally there (K18EL-D)… perhaps it is off the air for a bit, being reconfigured for the new channel(s)?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I kind of thought the same thing last weekend, as KPDX was off here too for about an hour, so I do not know if the translators have to be configured some way, or they are transparent, as whatever KPTV or KPDX adds, we will get? I do not know. My only experience with the sub channels are the ones we already have. and when the translator was switched to digital, they were already in place. However, KOPB did make one change, they dropped the 3rd sub as it was a time switching thing. But once all of their translators changed to digital, that one went. K18EL does KPTV/KPDX use the same translator there? Here both use ch 21 (Astoria).

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just checked and your K18EL does run both channels 12/49, so if you get all of the subs, then we should out here.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Another interesting thing is that when I check Rabbit Ears.com I find your K18EL listed as 18.1 KPTV / 18.2 KPDX, and no mention of sub channels. But when I check K21DE (Astoria), they have it listed differently. 21.1 KPTV, 21.2 COZI, 21.3 Laff, and no mention of KPDX. We get KPDX on 21.2 (49.1), just like K18EL. Splitting the translator in half with two 720p HD signals, are they going to have enough room to give us COZI, Laff, and later Escape (49.2)? Is there enough space available? 2 HD signals, and three SD signals on one translator channel. I have no idea when they split the translator, how much bandwidth are we getting? I know in Portland some of the TV stations also use some bandwidth for other things. I presume they wouldn’t use that space on a translator? I guess we will find out in the next few days.

jr_tech
    Participant

Checked for K18EL this morning and did not find it… don’t know what is happening there.
    I can’t detect the DTV ref carrier on 494.312 mhz using the Icom 8500 either. Did find a very weak one on ch 27, likely KSLM, Dallas.
    In the past (like Monday or Tuesday) when I did a scan, I came up with an extra ch 49, but I have never seen an extra ch 12. Possibly when my TV antenna is pointed South, I am missing the local ch 12 and *only* seeing 12 from the ch 18 repeater, or possibly K18EL was not transmitting 12.1.
    Indeed it will be interesting to see what happens when they turn on the extra channels.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.