KPTV adding Cozi, Laff

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 183 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Author

Scott Young
    Participant

It’s KO Peak in Pacific County, Washington.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is what I meant to type, not KOKO peak. 🙂

washnotore
    Participant

Selling KOIN to another owner sounds like a good business move. I think it would help KOIN ratings and cash flow. If it where to becoming a sister station to KIRO in Seattle. KIRO is currently owned by Cox Media Group. KGW/KING and KATU/KOMO have been longtime sister stations in Northwest for years.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, it was Fisher & King Broadcasting for many years in the NW.

jr_tech
    Participant

KO Peak… Ah thanks! I found a list that shows several Amateur repeaters at that location… what else is there? Microwave relay station to the coast, or is the Ch 12 translator for the Astoria area also there?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I know KPTV uses a cel tower at KO Peak, but I am not sure where the translators for Gray’s River are located, but in the area somewhere. 2,6,8,and 10 are located there. Yes, Megler picks up the signal from KO Peak and we get the signals along the coast. Most are microwaved, if not all. It keeps the signal much more stable, than the OTA signal.

Jbpdx
    Participant

It’s October. I think at this point the Laff and Escape deal is dead.

mwdxer1
    Participant

With Media General now merging with Meredith, that may be changing things too.

Stephen
    Participant

Well I don’t know the time, but sometime today laff and escape were added. So much for our theories.

Watching drew Carey on 12-3 at 4:20pm

washnotore
    Participant

Here is the digital stream rates I’m getting from TSReader.

KPTV RF 12

12-1 720p 12.2 Mbps
    12-2 480i 2.1 Mbps
    12-3 480i 2.1 Mbps

KPDX RF 30

30-1 720p 12.8 Mpbs
    30-2 480i 3.1 Mpbs

I will say Cozi TV does looks better, after equipment upgrade.

mwdxer1
    Participant

So they added Escape. I scanned here Oregon Coast and we are temporarily getting the OTA signal from KPTV, with a piece of equipment that died and now KPTV 12.1, COZI 12.2, and Laff 12.3. Unfortunately by Dec we will go back to KPTV/KPDX. In the future I guess the Encoder will be replaced giving us the sub channels. Time will tell. But getting Laff and Cozi for now is great.Thanks for the update!

mwdxer1
    Participant

Of all of the sub’s I get probably OPB Plus & METV look the best, at least here on the coast. It will be a shame though when KPTV switches us back to KPTV/KPDX from the KPTV/Cozi/Laff. I am sure many here on the coast will miss Cozi and Laff. By what the engineer (Mike) told me, in time we will get the subs permanently, but it will be sometime as they are not in any hurry to replace the Encoder. Not at $100K. My question is, at $100K, is an Encoder really worth that much? Broadcast equipment has always been expensive, but that seems crazy.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

49.2 is on the air.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks. Hopefully KPTV/KPDX can have all of their subs in time to their translators.

washnotore
    Participant

Now that Katz Broadcasting Diginets Laff and Espace are broadcasting on KPTV/KPDX (Along with Grit on KUNP-LP). Here is web article from TV News Check site.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/89135/ota-the-bedrock-of-katzs-growing-diginets

We might be seeing more diginets from Katz in the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.