KPTV adding Cozi, Laff

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 183 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 184 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know, but several lists show 12.1/12.2/12.3 for the Oregon Coast for the translator. According to the e mail I got from KPTV, they do plan on all of the sub channels sometime this Summer and in time here. KATU stated they would be switching their analog at Megler (Astoria) sometime in July. Unless they get it done today, it will be done in August. Sept 1 is the end of the CP.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Nope, KATU is still analog on ch 26 Aug 1st, so with the CP deadline Sept 1st, I would guess they will switch this month sometime.

mwdxer1
    Participant

For the past several days, KPTV out here on the North Coast, has only the SD KPTV signal, scanning in as 21.1, with no ID tag either. KPDX is not on. Both the 12.1 & 49.1 mapping, there is no programming, yet it shows 100% signal. I do not know if there is an issue or they are working on getting COZI out here. I called KPTV the other day, but the CE was out and the receptionist had no idea. I do know if there is a problem, we will continue to get KPTV in SD at 21.1, even if the digital HD signal goes away. I checked again today and still the same.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just got back, and 12.1 & 49.1 in HD are back. It must have been some problem in the system. Nothing new noted.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Another month gone, still no 12.3 or 49.2

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have not contacted KPTV of late. A few months ago I have told that the sub channels would be added to their translators. We still have the new microwaved signals on channel 21, as
    12.1 KPTV & 49.1 KPDX out here.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Any updates on KPTV carrying Cozi on their translators? Anyone out there that gets KPTV via a translator, getting Cozi TV?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I got my question answered tonight. When I got home, I was checking out the channels and we now have 12.1 KPTV and 12.2 COZI TV, KPDX is gone. I do not know if it will return, but it is nice to have another classic TV service. The pq is not nearly as good as METV or GET TV, but it is ok. COZI TV’s line up is pretty good too, running many old TV series. Thank you KPTV!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I found the pq on the Avengers was very good, but they are not all the same. Does it vary that much in Portland?

washnotore
    Participant

“Astoria translator has 12.1 KPTV and 12.2 COZI TV, KPDX is gone.”

It kinda makes you wonder what might happen to KPDX-TV. Now that the ownership shuffle is under way. Will KPDX-TV remain a stand alone station. Or KPDX become a dot 2 under KOIN or a dot 3 under KPTV. Either way KPDX-TV RF channel may end up being sold for Spectrum. Should be interesting to see what happens next year.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I called KPTV this morning to see what is going on. I was told by the receptionist that they have no plans to drop KPDX anywhere, so she did not offer much else. The CE is still non available, probably out working on the translators. This morning KPTV scans in at 21.1 (not 12.1) SD, nothing else noted as yet, COZI is now gone. But if they are getting ready to add COZI, as it looks like they are, then Laff is not far behind. Where they are going to put KPDX, I have no clue. I don’t know if there is room for everything out here with the present set up. We had 21.1 (KPTV-12.1) and 21.2 (KPDX-49.1) both off the same translator in 720p. But running things that way, would there be enough bandwidth to offer two or three SD sub channels? (COZI, Laff, and Escape)?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I cannot imagine MyTV going away from the airways in Portland. If KPDX was to become 6.2, then maybe that is the reason KOIN has not added Decades? I have not heard a word about Decades in Portland, yet it is on in Seattle, SF, LA, Phoenix, etc.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I just did another scan and COZI is back. KPTV is back as 12.1 in HD. A few glitches in the signal at the moment, but it looks now like COZI will be 12.2 here. Again, KPDX? I have no clue as yet.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I got a call back from the CE at KPTV. It seems they had some trouble and had the change some things. We are getting the off air signal from KOKO Peak, rather than a microwaved signal at the moment. That is the reason we are getting COZI. Depending on how stable the signal is, if they will keep it until they get things repaired in probably Dec. If it doesn’t stay stable, then they will get the SD signal off Direct TV for the few months. and we will lose COZI. At that time, the old set up of KPTV/KPDX will return with no COZI TV. I guess the old encoders that were purchased 3 years ago will not do the dot two, dot three, etc. So until Meredith spends the money to get new encoders. the translators will all stay KPTV/KPDX. He said they are only required to supply KPTV, no sub channels anyway. But getting KPDX is a plus. I guess Meredith is doing it differently than KATU, KGW, or KOPB, which we have all of their subs. In time, he feels we will get all of what they offer, but it may take a couple years or so. Now if an encoder dies, and they replace with a new one, that might change things. The encoders he said cost $100K each, so not something they want to replace again so soon. One of the down sides of living in a rural area. I am pleased we have as much TV as we do. It looks like Media General is going to sell KOIN though. The joint company mergers, they cannot own more than one major network station in a market. I asked about FOX/MYTV. He said MYTV isn’t a major network like CBS, ABC, NBC, & FOX are. So I guess there it is. I did not like the news, but I do have access to COZI and most of the sub channel fare FTA on my big dish, but it more convenient OTA with the guides and all. Another reason Meredith is not excited about sending the money at this time to bring COZI, he said the ads are from COZI TV, Meredith does not add any of their own ads, so they are making no money on the channel. Maybe they get it for free, if they run the COZI TV ads?

jr_tech
    Participant

KOKO Peak?? What/Where is that?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.